    which monitor should I plug into the onboard and which one into the card? I
    dont use pc for games although I use photoshop for rendering.
    TIA

    D@Z, May 18, 2005

  2. D@Z

    philo Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:19:46 +0100, D@Z wrote:

    > I have a PC running xp with a MOBO that has onboard graphics.I am using a
    > Raedon7500 graphics card at the moment for my monitor which is a 17" flat
    > screen model, I have this hooked into the raedon card. Ialso have a spare
    > 15"CRT lying about, if I wanted to run 2 monitors could I do this with my
    > current pc and card without having to buy a second graphics card. If so
    > which monitor should I plug into the onboard and which one into the card? I
    > dont use pc for games although I use photoshop for rendering.
    > TIA

    yes, XP supports two monitors.
    since your onboard video card is not going to be as good as your R7500...
    you may as well use the 15" crt on the "onboard" card

    philo, May 18, 2005

  3. D@Z

    JANA Guest

    You need a dual head display card, if you want to have the true double wide
    screen effect. You can get a monitor combiner that allows for 2 monitors on
    the same computer. With this device, both monitors will only display the
    same exact thing.

    If you are going to go over to a dual head operation, it is best to use two
    matched monitors. Using different sizes, and different matching, is going to
    make the visual operations more difficult.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, May 18, 2005
  4. D@Z

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Trying to use the onboard with a card will likely cause problems, if its
    actually possible.
    Some mobos automatically switch off onboard if a agp card is installed.
    A dual display card is probably best option.
    I use two different size monitors without any probs.

    MrGrumpy, May 19, 2005
  5. D@Z

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > You need a dual head display card, if you want to have the true double wide
    > screen effect. You can get a monitor combiner that allows for 2 monitors on
    > the same computer. With this device, both monitors will only display the
    > same exact thing.
    >
    > If you are going to go over to a dual head operation, it is best to use two
    > matched monitors. Using different sizes, and different matching, is going to
    > make the visual operations more difficult.

    Come on Jana, the OP asked a very simple question "if I wanted to run 2
    monitors could I do this with my current pc and card without having to
    buy a second graphics card."

    The answer is YES! The answer is not that he needs a dual head display
    card or a monitor combiner or a new monitor.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 19, 2005
  6. D@Z

    Paul B. Guest

    D@Z wrote:
    > I have a PC running xp with a MOBO that has onboard graphics.I am using a
    > Raedon7500 graphics card at the moment for my monitor which is a 17" flat
    > screen model, I have this hooked into the raedon card. Ialso have a spare
    > 15"CRT lying about, if I wanted to run 2 monitors could I do this with my
    > current pc and card without having to buy a second graphics card. If so
    > which monitor should I plug into the onboard and which one into the card? I
    > dont use pc for games although I use photoshop for rendering.
    > TIA

    I've never used an onboard with a separate card, but I don't see
    what you have to lose by trying if the BIOS allows it.

    I've run dual head cards for years, and they're a snap to set up.
    But recently I also added a second, PCI, card, for a third
    monitor, and it all just fell into place. (My onboard is turned
    off.) The Windows XP desktop extended over to #3 with no problem,
    proving that that feature is windows-driven, not firmware (the
    new card is not the same brand as the AGP dual head).

    Not all cards are compatible with Windows' multimonitor function,
    though. There's a list on the MS site which says which cards will
    work.

    One thought - if the new card is not compatible with the onboard,
    you are out a card. But if you buy a dual head you know it's
    going to work. Also, bear in mind that the video memory you add
    to the system frees up system RAM for general use, so you're
    improving overall system performance. Might be worth a few more
    bucks to go dual head.

    BTW, the brand I use is Matrox and it's been great.

    HTH,
    p.

    Paul B., May 19, 2005