    666th Black Brigade
    http://www.666th.com
    ICQ: 15439346
    Lange, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Lange

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:41:52 GMT, "Lange"
    <lange@arodnap<--reverse_this.be> wrote:

    >Which of them has it right?

    "One person telling me that DVD-recorders (non computer ones) can only
    read/write are single layer DVD's."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Lange

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/26/2005 11:10:14 AM, Allan wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:41:52 GMT, "Lange"
    > <lange@arodnap<--reverse_this.be> wrote:
    >
    >>Which of them has it right?

    > "One person telling me that DVD-recorders (non computer ones) can only
    > read/write are single layer DVD's."

    Are you saying they can't play most of the commercial DVDs?
    --
    "I beat the shit out of some kids today, but it was for a purpose."

    Now playing: "Demons & Wizards - Poor Man's Crusade"
    Tarkus, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Lange

    Rich Clark Guest

    Lange wrote:
    > Big discussion here.
    >
    > One person telling me that DVD-recorders (non computer ones) can only

    > read/write are single layer DVD's. The other one is telling me that

    they all
    > read/write dual layer DVD's and that only on DVD recorders for

    computers you
    > have the choise of buying a single or dual layer DVD writer.
    >
    > Which of them has it right?

    Neither.

    All DVD players/recorders can read dual layer discs. Most commercial
    movie releases are dual-layer discs.

    There are some PC burners that can write to dual-layer discs, and there
    are many more that can't.

    I'm unaware of any current set-top DVD recorders that can write to
    dual-layer discs, but it's not a market I follow very closely.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Lange

    Ed Kim Guest

    Rich Clark wrote:
    > Lange wrote:
    > > Big discussion here.
    > >
    > > One person telling me that DVD-recorders (non computer ones) can

    only

    > > read/write are single layer DVD's. The other one is telling me that

    > they all
    > > read/write dual layer DVD's and that only on DVD recorders for

    > computers you
    > > have the choise of buying a single or dual layer DVD writer.
    > >
    > > Which of them has it right?

    > Neither.
    >
    > All DVD players/recorders can read dual layer discs. Most commercial
    > movie releases are dual-layer discs.
    >
    > There are some PC burners that can write to dual-layer discs, and

    there
    > are many more that can't.

    i believe that most PC Burners can write to dual-layers, although most
    would need a firmware upgrade to do so. In fact, almost all new dvd
    burners are firmware upgradable to duallayer.

    > I'm unaware of any current set-top DVD recorders that can write to
    > dual-layer discs, but it's not a market I follow very closely.

    i don't see why you'd want to buy a standalone dvd recorder if you
    could just buy a dvd-burner. aside from being cheaper, you can make
    data dvds (backup), or mp3s or .avis, etc. Or you have a range of
    tools to reauthor (or "steal") dvds. Plus, many dvd-ROMS (and burners)
    are firmware patchable to be region free.

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Lange

    Rich Clark Guest

    Ed Kim wrote:

    > i believe that most PC Burners can write to dual-layers, although

    most
    > would need a firmware upgrade to do so. In fact, almost all new dvd
    > burners are firmware upgradable to duallayer.

    Some can be updated, some can't. I agree that most models introduced
    since the late 2003 or so are probably flashable for dual-layer, but
    there are an awful lot of older drives that can't be.

    > > I'm unaware of any current set-top DVD recorders that can write to
    > > dual-layer discs, but it's not a market I follow very closely.

    > i don't see why you'd want to buy a standalone dvd recorder if you
    > could just buy a dvd-burner.

    People want to use them like VCRs, that's why.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jan 26, 2005
  7. Lange

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:11:48 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >On 1/26/2005 11:10:14 AM, Allan wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:41:52 GMT, "Lange"
    >> <lange@arodnap<--reverse_this.be> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Which of them has it right?

    >> "One person telling me that DVD-recorders (non computer ones) can only
    >> read/write are single layer DVD's."

    >Are you saying they can't play most of the commercial DVDs?

    They can't WRITE dual layer.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 27, 2005
  8. Lange

    Allan Guest

    On 26 Jan 2005 12:45:42 -0800, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    >i believe that most PC Burners can write to dual-layers, although most
    >would need a firmware upgrade to do so. In fact, almost all new dvd
    >burners are firmware upgradable to duallayer.

    Dual layer burning is quite new... and most stay away, the media costs
    are very high.

    Most burns that folks have can not burn Dual layer.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 27, 2005
  9. Lange

    Ed Kim Guest

    Rich Clark wrote:
    > Ed Kim wrote:
    >
    > > i believe that most PC Burners can write to dual-layers, although

    > most
    > > would need a firmware upgrade to do so. In fact, almost all new

    dvd
    > > burners are firmware upgradable to duallayer.

    > Some can be updated, some can't. I agree that most models introduced
    > since the late 2003 or so are probably flashable for dual-layer, but
    > there are an awful lot of older drives that can't be.

    yeha, all my friends have newer dvd burners and all are flashable,
    though i'm not sure any of them have acutally flashed 'em yet. I donut
    know of anyone that's burning duallayer yet. Heck, dvd+r media is only
    now becoming really affordbale (imo, .50 is "really affordable").

    But a decision about a new burner whether standalone or pc would
    include the feature that the pc burner has duallayer
    capability/potential.

    > > > I'm unaware of any current set-top DVD recorders that can write

    > > > dual-layer discs, but it's not a market I follow very closely.

    > > i don't see why you'd want to buy a standalone dvd recorder if you
    > > could just buy a dvd-burner.

    > People want to use them like VCRs, that's why.

    so with a standalone dvd recorder, you can record over-the-air
    programming? that's interesting.

    i think the alternative is a video cap board in the computer.
    *shrug*

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jan 27, 2005
  10. Lange

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/27/2005 5:24:03 AM, Allan wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:11:48 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 1/26/2005 11:10:14 AM, Allan wrote:

    >>> "One person telling me that DVD-recorders (non computer ones) can only
    >>> read/write are single layer DVD's."

    >>Are you saying they can't play most of the commercial DVDs?

    > They can't WRITE dual layer.

    That's better. :)
    --
    "I may be bad...but I feel gooood."

    Now playing: "Demons & Wizards - Tear Down The Wall"
    Tarkus, Jan 27, 2005
  11. Lange

    RichA Guest

    On 27 Jan 2005 08:01:40 -0800, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    >Rich Clark wrote:
    >> Ed Kim wrote:
    >>
    >> > i believe that most PC Burners can write to dual-layers, although

    >> most
    >> > would need a firmware upgrade to do so. In fact, almost all new

    >dvd
    >> > burners are firmware upgradable to duallayer.

    >> Some can be updated, some can't. I agree that most models introduced
    >> since the late 2003 or so are probably flashable for dual-layer, but
    >> there are an awful lot of older drives that can't be.

    >yeha, all my friends have newer dvd burners and all are flashable,
    >though i'm not sure any of them have acutally flashed 'em yet. I donut
    >know of anyone that's burning duallayer yet. Heck, dvd+r media is only
    >now becoming really affordbale (imo, .50 is "really affordable").

    A spindle of 50 Philips DVD+R is about $24 which makes it cheaper
    than most CD-Rs of the same type, but dual is what, $9 a disc?
    Of course, that stupidily high price should fade in short order.
    -Rich
    RichA, Jan 27, 2005
  12. Lange

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On 27 Jan 2005 08:01:40 -0800, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    >so with a standalone dvd recorder, you can record over-the-air
    >programming? that's interesting.

    Yep. Also satellite and cable if you connect the receiver to the
    recorder with A/V or S-Video.

    I do plan on getting a PC burner eventually so I'll have more editing
    options, but I will still use my recorder to record the programs
    first.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Jan 27, 2005
  13. On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:24:03 -0500, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:11:48 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 1/26/2005 11:10:14 AM, Allan wrote:

    >>> "One person telling me that DVD-recorders (non computer ones) can only
    >>> read/write are single layer DVD's."

    >>Are you saying they can't play most of the commercial DVDs?

    >They can't WRITE dual layer.

    You're right. I've checked four different makes in recent weeks and
    none of them will write duel layer, so I guess I'll stick with my LG,
    which does.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Jan 27, 2005
  14. On 27 Jan 2005 08:01:40 -0800, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    >Rich Clark wrote:
    >> Ed Kim wrote:
    >>
    >> > i believe that most PC Burners can write to dual-layers, although

    >> most
    >> > would need a firmware upgrade to do so. In fact, almost all new

    >dvd
    >> > burners are firmware upgradable to duallayer.

    >> Some can be updated, some can't. I agree that most models introduced
    >> since the late 2003 or so are probably flashable for dual-layer, but
    >> there are an awful lot of older drives that can't be.

    >yeha, all my friends have newer dvd burners and all are flashable,
    >though i'm not sure any of them have acutally flashed 'em yet. I donut
    >know of anyone that's burning duallayer yet. Heck, dvd+r media is only
    >now becoming really affordbale (imo, .50 is "really affordable").

    "Duel Layer" at Future Shop (Canada) are priced at three for $39.95;
    might as well buy the damn commercial DVD.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Jan 27, 2005