    Will modern DVD players that connect to the TV read images from the disk
    (like most do with MP3), or do I have to create a photo format CD?

    Thanks
    BG250, Feb 18, 2005

  2. BG250

    Matt Ion Guest

    BG250 wrote:

    > Anyone try these for storing photos/data yet? This would be ideal for my
    > ever increasing collection of digital images. I'm looking at getting a Sony
    > burner and using Nero 6.6. Allso I want to get a DVD player.
    >
    > Any issues with DL DVD or DVD in general for storage?
    >
    > Will modern DVD players that connect to the TV read images from the disk
    > (like most do with MP3), or do I have to create a photo format CD?

    Right now, DVD-R and DVD+R discs can be had for as low as 50 cents each
    in bulk. Dual-layer discs give you about 75% more storage but right now
    cost around $20. Not worth it just yet, although don't let that stop
    you from planning ahead, as DL-ready burners are no more expensive that
    those without.

    Actually, I'd trust DVDs more than all but high-end CD blanks, as they
    genereally have a thick top layer protecting the label side, where CDs
    have almost no protection on the back side.
    Matt Ion, Feb 18, 2005

  3. BG250

    Owamanga Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:32:43 GMT, Matt Ion <>
    wrote:

    >BG250 wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone try these for storing photos/data yet? This would be ideal for my
    >> ever increasing collection of digital images. I'm looking at getting a Sony
    >> burner and using Nero 6.6. Allso I want to get a DVD player.
    >>
    >> Any issues with DL DVD or DVD in general for storage?
    >>
    >> Will modern DVD players that connect to the TV read images from the disk
    >> (like most do with MP3), or do I have to create a photo format CD?

    >Right now, DVD-R and DVD+R discs can be had for as low as 50 cents each
    >in bulk. Dual-layer discs give you about 75% more storage but right now
    >cost around $20. Not worth it just yet, although don't let that stop
    >you from planning ahead, as DL-ready burners are no more expensive that
    >those without.
    >
    >Actually, I'd trust DVDs more than all but high-end CD blanks, as they
    >genereally have a thick top layer protecting the label side, where CDs
    >have almost no protection on the back side.

    Dual layer media costs aside, be aware that only one of the two big
    standards for dual layer writing has been finalized at this time. If
    $20 media is okay for you and you are planning on buying a writer
    *just* so it can do dual layer, at least wait for the other standard
    to be hammered out and be included in the capability of your burner.

    Not an issue for backups of photos, but for DVD-film duplication, dual
    layer has a much lower success rate of being read by set-top DVD
    players than the single-layer disks.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Feb 18, 2005
  4. BG250

    Big Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >BG250 wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone try these for storing photos/data yet? This would be ideal for my
    >> ever increasing collection of digital images. I'm looking at getting a Sony
    >> burner and using Nero 6.6. Allso I want to get a DVD player.
    >>
    >> Any issues with DL DVD or DVD in general for storage?
    >>
    >> Will modern DVD players that connect to the TV read images from the disk
    >> (like most do with MP3), or do I have to create a photo format CD?

    >Right now, DVD-R and DVD+R discs can be had for as low as 50 cents each
    >in bulk. Dual-layer discs give you about 75% more storage but right now
    >cost around $20. Not worth it just yet, although don't let that stop
    >you from planning ahead, as DL-ready burners are no more expensive that
    >those without.

    Well, Matt, I think you're not looking in the right places for prices;
    I can get 4X DVD +/- R's for under 10¢ if I watch the sales, and I can
    get them locally for well under 40¢ each, and I can get DL discs for
    about $10 locally.
    Them prices are dropping quickly!

    --
    Bill Funk