    effect.

    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Your setup is not 'backwards' your ISP is just trying to fob you off.

    One thing that could cause this kind of problem is if speed or duplex
    is not autonegotiating correctly. Check the interface that connects
    via ethernet to the fiber converter. There could be a duplex problem
    there. 'sh interface x/x' Check for any errors incrementing and check
    what the speed and duplex settings are running at.

    You can do the same for the inside interface also.

    You can also check if any errors are being reported by looking at
    'show log'

    Other than that you can test to see if any packets are getting
    dropped. Send large pings to the router and back - Problem? Send large
    pings to the next hop router and back - Problem? etc...

    Or from a windows command line you can do a useful command:

    pathping www.google.co.uk

    This will tell you where abouts in the path packets are being dropped
    (May take a while)

    Other than that its an ISP problem and they need to sort it out.

    Simon

    Simon Tibbitts, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Brian

    Peter Guest

    Hi Brian,

    Brian wrote:
    > We are having a problem with our internet connection not running as fast as
    > it should. The technician at our ISP is saying that it could be because we
    > have our 1720 router hooked up backwards. At the moment, our internet
    > connection comes in on fibreoptic, through a media converter to Ethernet and
    > the connects to the WIC 1ENET card on our router. The router is then
    > connected via its integrated Ethernet port to our LAN.

    The physical port usage will make no difference as long as the port
    Speed and Duplex settings are the same. If they ARE identical, then
    he/she is probably not a technician.

    However, if one side of the Router is 10Mb and the other 100Mb, OR you
    have a duplex mismatch somewhere, then it is possible this could be
    causing a problem, but this situation is not usually called a
    "backwards" configuration......;-)

    > Is the setup considered backwards? I find it hard to believe the router
    > cares or even knows which way is in and which is out.

    The only time a Router might care about this is if the interfaces
    offer different performance capabilities and the unit operation is
    dependent on them being used in a specific way. Without details of the
    actual router config and how many units are being serviced locally its
    hard to say much more.

    Regards............pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***

    Peter, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Brian

    Peter Guest

    Hi Brian,

    Brian wrote:
    > We are having a problem with our internet connection not running as fast as
    > it should. The technician at our ISP is saying that it could be because we
    > have our 1720 router hooked up backwards. At the moment, our internet
    > connection comes in on fibreoptic, through a media converter to Ethernet and
    > the connects to the WIC 1ENET card on our router.

    I just had another thought... about 3-4 months ago we had trouble when
    upgrading a 10Mb Ethernet link delivered over Fibre via Media adapter,
    up to 100Mb. It performed worse than the 10Mb service, and the result
    was that the ISP had an issue with the Fibre switching node at the CO
    (they had to move us to a different port to get the new speed).

    Their Switching Node was falsely determining the DUPLEX setting and
    giving them HALF duplex, when it was reporting that it was FULL
    duplex. They had to patch the Fibre to another port on the node to get
    around that one, but we had a hell of a job convincing them the
    problem was at THEIR end.

    Regards...........pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***