Dual DVI PCI Express Video Card compatibility

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wewa, May 17, 2005.

  1. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Howdy,

    I just got a couple of LCD displays with DVI.

    Want to get a reasonably priced (~$250) ATI or Nvidia video card that is PCI
    Express x16, dual DVI out (NOT 1 vga/1 dvi) and of course, x64 compatible.

    Going to the ATI web site, its not clear which are x64 compatible, although
    they list drivers for Radeon and FireGL:
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

    But when you browse their products, they have workstation, theater, and all
    kinds of mixed up categories that dont make it clear or sort just the pci-x,
    dual dvi, and x64.

    Then when you go to nvidia web site, they seem to cover everything with
    their unified driver architecture:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_71.84.html

    which sounds like i can buy any GEforce card and I'll be ok?

    I'll be using it for dual desktop, need pivoting support, web design,
    general business apps and some video editing, dvd, etc. I'm not a gamer.

    I did some googling but didnt find any specific reviews, although some good
    general information on DVI and LCD:
    http://www1.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/index.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

    And compusa seems to have only 2 pci-x cards that have dual dvi and both are
    nvidia-based. and they are oddball brands (bfg, pny), so i can't seem to
    find reviews on them.
    http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200105 4294966325&Ne=300752

    Appreciate any recommendations or experiences and any good web sites with
    listings, articles, reviews.

    Still waiting for my exchange order on x64...no confirmation nothing.

    Thanks.
    wewa, May 17, 2005

  2. > Want to get a reasonably priced (~$250) ATI or Nvidia video card that is PCI
    > Express x16, dual DVI out (NOT 1 vga/1 dvi) and of course, x64 compatible.

    Get an XFX geforce 6600GT
    Its PCI express, dual DVI and runs under win64. I got one in my box under
    XP64.
    Go to pricegrabber dot com for pricing....
    =?Utf-8?B?a3JhZW1lcg==?=, May 17, 2005

  3. wewa

    ocbwilg Guest

    "wewa" <> wrote in message
    > And compusa seems to have only 2 pci-x cards that have dual dvi and both
    > are
    > nvidia-based. and they are oddball brands (bfg, pny), so i can't seem to
    > find reviews on them.
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200105 4294966325&Ne=300752
    >
    > Appreciate any recommendations or experiences and any good web sites with
    > listings, articles, reviews.

    nVidia doens't make their own cards, they just sell the chipsets so most of
    "their" cards will be "off-brand". BFG, PNY, and XFX are all decent brands.
    XFX used to be Pine Technology, and they've been around fcor years. PNY has
    been around at least as long, though they used to make mainly memory
    modules. BFG is a relatively new brand that is targetted at the
    gamer/enthusiast market. The BFG cards are overclocked from the factory and
    have beefier cooling systems to handle that, which is why the
    gamers/ethusiasts like them so much.

    If you want to do a search, you're almost better off going to a big site
    like Newegg.com and looking at what they have to offer. They will list
    whether a card hard dual DVI or one VGA and one DVI. The nVidia and ATI
    sites are actually pretty confusing if you're looking to buy a card, but
    from an online store you can quickly see each card, the price, memory,
    outputs, and any other features. It's just much easier to compare that way.
    ocbwilg, May 18, 2005