    --

    Thnx

    Frosty

    Frosty, Sep 26, 2006

  2. Frosty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-26, Frosty <> wrote:
    > I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
    > using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
    > called a Dual Core Processor.
    > Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
    > it?

    You get a CPU that can be doing two things at once - if your operating
    system and software know how to exploit the facility. It can speed up
    some things such as image or audio processing, but not 'twice as fast'. A
    'hyperthreading' CPU is one with a single core that can pretend to be a
    dual core but isn't quite as quick.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 26, 2006

  3. Frosty

    Old Gringo Guest

    Loads of info here : http://tinyurl.com/pgbwo

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Frosty

    Kluck Guest

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:37:10 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-09-26, Frosty <> wrote:
    >> I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
    >> using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
    >> called a Dual Core Processor.
    >> Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
    >> it?

    > You get a CPU that can be doing two things at once - if your operating
    > system and software know how to exploit the facility. It can speed up
    > some things such as image or audio processing, but not 'twice as fast'. A
    > 'hyperthreading' CPU is one with a single core that can pretend to be a
    > dual core but isn't quite as quick.

    A dual core cpu is two sperate cpu's on one die.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Kluck, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Frosty

    Guest

    Frosty <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
    >using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
    >called a Dual Core Processor.
    >Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
    >it?

    Around 3Ghz is about as fast as a cpu can go due to heat issues,
    multiple cores (cpu's) are another approach to faster processing
    speeds.

    (Intel to have 80 core processor in 5 years)
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/09/26/1937237.shtml

    --
    http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf

    , Sep 27, 2006
  6. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Tue, 26 Sep
    2006 13:48:38 GMT, and who should I see posting but Old Gringo
    <>! I could scarely believe Old Gringo
    <> would remark:

    >Without Any Hesitation, Frosty Wrote The Following:
    >> I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
    >> using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
    >> called a Dual Core Processor.
    >> Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
    >> it?
    >>

    >Loads of info here : http://tinyurl.com/pgbwo

    Cool beanz1

    Frosty, Sep 27, 2006
  7. Frosty

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Frosty mused:

    | I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
    | using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
    | called a Dual Core Processor.
    | Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
    | it?

    The long in the short is you get about 27% increased performance over a
    single core CPU of the same technology and speed. So, unless you are a
    power user (1 GHz CPUs are fast enough for the email and web browsing
    crowd), or it's just a really good deal, take the money you'd spend on a
    dual core system, and buy a single core system, and put the money you
    save into more memory.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 30, 2006