    been left out of the Windows descriptions on purpose. While this is intended
    to be used as a workstation, has anyone heard if MS will up the processor
    limit on XP x64 or future editions>

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUM=?=, Nov 18, 2005

  2. You are not paying for the Virtual processors (cores), so it should be
    supported by Windows XP Professional x64, the max processor support in
    Windows XP Professional x64 is 2. For four processors and up you need the
    Server Editions.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 18, 2005

  3. Dave --
    Microsoft is quite clear about what is supported on which edition. XP is
    a client OS, and supports 2 processors. Server 2003 supports more
    processors, and the number varies by Edition. As for cores? Doesn't matter.
    For the purposes of licensing, MS counts processor _sockets_. So you could
    have a quad core processor, and it would still only count as one processor.
    So your Tyan board can run 8 dual core processors, and that would require
    Enterprise edition to support all 8 processors.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 18, 2005
  4. So if its Virtual Processors that total to 8 Charlie, can XP Pro x64 support
    that?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 19, 2005
  5. XP Pro can use two sockets, whatever is in them. Think sockets or think of
    processors, not cores.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005
  6. Thanks for the replys, but the question is: Microsoft specifically states
    that "XP x64 will support 2 dual core processors." They dont mention dual
    core support for any of the other Windows products. One might litterally read
    the product information to mean that only XP x64 supports the dual core
    processors. I have never known MS marketing to miss a big one like that in
    the past.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUM=?=, Nov 19, 2005
  7. In point of fact, XP Pro and XP Pro x64 support dual processors, dual-core
    or quad-core. XP Home only supports one processor, but that can be
    multi-core also. For workstations with four or more processors you would
    have to install an appropriate edition of Windows Server. Windows 2000
    Professional always supported dual procs. That was one of the reasons there
    was no upgrade path from Windows 2000 to XP Home, it had to be W2k to XP
    Pro.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005
  8. Think the physical chip itself. That's what MS counts. Don't count cores.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 19, 2005
  9. I don't really know what page you're reading. And, frankly, don't care. What
    I said was, for the purposes of counting processors for licensing, count
    sockets. Dual cores are supported. Period. As wil quad cores be when some
    are available. Don't try to read something into it that isn't there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 19, 2005
  10. I was reading the product pages on the web. I wasn't trying to read something
    that wasn't there but rather making note of what was conspicuously missing. I
    do appreciate the feedback and thank you both for the help.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUM=?=, Nov 19, 2005
  11. You're welcome.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005
  12. Thanks guys. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 22, 2005
  13. But aren't cores actually physical pieces of silicon fitted onto chip?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 22, 2005
  14. But there is only one socket. The cpu driver and Windows work it out.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2005
  15. A client of mine received the system you're talking about, Tyan K8QW with
    four processor daughter board. The system has 8 Opteron 880 processors
    installed. Win2k3 Server Enterprise x64 Device manager shows 16 processors
    installed.

    Task Manager, cpuz, any software including our own only displays/ is able to
    use 8 processors! Always processors 0 thru 3, both cores.

    The funny thing is, it can see the memory attached to the 'missing'
    processors.

    The following code snippet always returns 8 in sysinf.dwNumberOfProcessors

    SYSTEM_INFO sysinf;
    GetSystemInfo(&sysinf);
    m_numProcs = m_maxProcs = sysinf.dwNumberOfProcessors;

    Either there is something is seriously wrong or the OS is indeed limited to
    8-way SMP. From the responses I've seen here the OS should support 8 dual
    core processors, but so far no joy. Am I wasting my time trying to get
    Enterprise to see and use these processors? Or is DataCenter a requirement
    for this machine? I would like to give my client a definitve answer so he can
    make a knowledgeable decision on his next step. The machine was built by
    another party, including Windows installation.
    --
    Still writing code...

    =?Utf-8?B?U21va2VkVHJvdXQ=?=, Jan 28, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUM=?=

    Bill Guest

    The Tyan K8QW Can only support 4 physical processors. With dual core you
    would see 8 processors not 16.

    Bill, Jan 28, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUM=?=

    Bill Guest

    See: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/enterprise.mspx
    Win2k3 Server Enterprise x64 only supports up to 8 processors.

    Bill, Jan 28, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZUM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    ' has daughterboard ' Space for the other four chips comes from a separate
    four-way daughterboard, the M4881

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2006
  19. Yes, which according to other statements in this thread means it supports 8
    physical processors regardless of how many cores are on each processor.

    So which is it? Eight sockets or 8 cores?
    --
    Still writing code...

    =?Utf-8?B?U21va2VkVHJvdXQ=?=, Jan 28, 2006
  20. eight sockets.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64