Dual Core Processors

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by dr.nil, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. dr.nil

    dr.nil Guest

    dr.nil, Aug 10, 2005

  2. dr.nil

    Ted Guest

    I have Dual Core 3.0 (about $300) with Intel D945PSN motherboard.
    Works great, actually it seems to be much faster
    than XP 32.
    The 3.2 is too expensive (over $600)
    www.mwave.com
    Has great prices.
    Their pre-sales support set me up with all 64 bit compatible
    hardware. I will give you the list if you like.

    Ted, Aug 10, 2005

  3. dr.nil

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    You only need to do a little research to see that AMD X2 is far superior to
    the Intel "dual-core" chips. The AMD X2 can communicate directly with each
    other across the crossbar; the Intel is two cores glued together that can
    only communicate by going out to the Northbridge chip and then back in. The
    AMD X2 has an integrated memory controller and supports the 2GHz
    Hypertransport bus, while the Intel has neither and instead depends on a
    clock double 400MHz FSB (Intel claims this is an 800MHZ FSB, but it is
    nowhere near 800MHz in real life). The design of the AMD X2 does not
    increase it's thermal envelope, while the Intel "Dual-Core" generates truly
    massive amount of heat. On the Intel chip, the L1 data cache and L2 cache
    are "inclusive, meaning the same data occupies both (meaning that you can
    subtract the amount of L1 data cache from the L2 cache in order to get a
    true cache size), while the L1 Data and L2 cache in the AMD chip is
    exclusive, meaning that data is loaded independently into each. Do a google
    search, or check out the article on page 28 of the July issue of PCWorld
    magazine entitled "Dual-Core Duel: AMD beats Intel". There really is no
    competition between the two; every single test I have seen has stated that
    the AMD is superior in every way (Intel quotes a test in which an app that
    was optimized for the P4/netburst Hyperthreading environment in which it
    turned in better numbers than AMD, but since it was a test designed
    specifically for the P4 with NB and HT, it can be ignored).

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 10, 2005
  4. I've purchased an AMD 4400+

    Haven't had much time to test it yet, but nothing has slowed down my system
    as of yet. Since AMD have faster cores than Intel, I got it mainly for
    gaming.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FsYWh1ZGRpbg==?=, Aug 10, 2005
  5. I've got an Intel 830 Dual Core Processor running in a Shuttle SD31P, I
    personally find it works brilliantly. Here is a review for you to take a
    look at if you are interested:

    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=705&cid=8

    =?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=, Aug 11, 2005
  6. dr.nil

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Glad you are happy with it. I merely stated the AMD X2 will outperform it
    (by a wide margin); suggest you also read the reference I posted; the AMD
    was compared directly to the chip in your machine, and it smoked it. As I
    stated, I also used to like Intel chips, but since AMD has taken the lead in
    chip design and innovation, they are the clear choice. Perhaps that is why
    Microsoft opted to replace all of it's systems used in the development of
    Windows to ones using AMD64 chips.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Bobby,

    My post is actually aimed for Dr.Nil, and from his original request he just
    wanted opinions of dual core processors, so I gave him mine.

    Is that okay!!

    =?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=, Aug 11, 2005
  8. I love my dual core! I'm running AMD64 4800+ on a Abit AN8-SLi mobo. If your
    in the market for a gamer PC definitly go AMD.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBILg==?=, Aug 12, 2005