    Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
    other applications seem to work fine.

    Any ideas?
    Lowly Engineer, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Lowly Engineer wrote:
    > I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
    > it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
    > great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
    >
    > My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
    > in the PERFORMANCE pane?
    >
    > Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
    > other applications seem to work fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I've had an X2 processor for some time (2-3 months) and haven't run
    either of those utilities. But your system should show on bootup which
    processor you're running. It's common for MBs that haven't had the BIOS
    updated to show only a single processor and NOT labeled as X2. In
    Windows, hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break, what does it
    show for the processor?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Lowly Engineer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Lowly Engineer spewed forth:
    > I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
    > it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
    > great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
    >
    > My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
    > in the PERFORMANCE pane?
    >
    > Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
    > other applications seem to work fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    My first idea would be that as XP Pro is significantly older than the
    hardware, it may not be programmed to show that information. I remember back
    in the PII/Celeron days when I'd upgrade a CPU, the BIOS of the computer
    would identify it incorrectly simply due to the fact that it hadn't a clue
    what the processor was <g>

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Lowly Engineer spewed forth:
    >
    >>I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
    >>it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
    >>great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
    >>
    >>My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
    >>in the PERFORMANCE pane?
    >>
    >>Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
    >>other applications seem to work fine.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    > My first idea would be that as XP Pro is significantly older than the
    > hardware, it may not be programmed to show that information. I remember back
    > in the PII/Celeron days when I'd upgrade a CPU, the BIOS of the computer
    > would identify it incorrectly simply due to the fact that it hadn't a clue
    > what the processor was <g>

    Pardon my intrusion, but I think you're confusing the OS with the BIOS.
    Win XP Pro was definitely dual processor aware from the beginning. (MS
    just didn't know that there would be dual processors on one chip, but
    still, it amounts to the same thing.)
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Lowly Engineer

    Trax Guest

    Lowly Engineer <> wrote:

    |>I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
    |>it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
    |>great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
    |>
    |>My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
    |>in the PERFORMANCE pane?

    In Task Manager"
    View - CPU history - make your selection.

    --
    Service call? Talk to a human...
    http://paulenglish.com/ivr/
    Trax, Nov 27, 2005
  6. Lowly Engineer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Lowly Engineer spewed forth:
    >>
    >>> I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I
    >>> have it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard
    >>> isn't great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
    >>>
    >>> My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO
    >>> processors in the PERFORMANCE pane?
    >>>
    >>> Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
    >>> other applications seem to work fine.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> My first idea would be that as XP Pro is significantly older than the
    >> hardware, it may not be programmed to show that information. I
    >> remember back in the PII/Celeron days when I'd upgrade a CPU, the
    >> BIOS of the computer would identify it incorrectly simply due to the
    >> fact that it hadn't a clue what the processor was <g>

    > Pardon my intrusion, but I think you're confusing the OS with the
    > BIOS. Win XP Pro was definitely dual processor aware from the
    > beginning. (MS just didn't know that there would be dual processors
    > on one chip, but still, it amounts to the same thing.)

    True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play with
    any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task manager in my dual
    processor server at work.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005
  7. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play with
    > any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task manager in my dual
    > processor server at work.

    Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.
    --
    Sona si Latine loqueris
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 27, 2005
  8. Lowly Engineer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play
    >> with any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task
    >> manager in my dual processor server at work.

    > Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.

    The OP is looking in task manager, in the performance pane. On my HP with
    P4/HT it shows two CPUs.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005
  9. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Rôgêr spewed forth:
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>

    >>>True - but I was only guessing. I've not had the opportunity to play
    >>>with any dual-core CPUs. And I never really looked at the task
    >>>manager in my dual processor server at work.

    >>Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.

    > The OP is looking in task manager, in the performance pane. On my HP with
    > P4/HT it shows two CPUs.

    Okey doke, in task manager (running Win XP x64, AMD X24200) there's no
    indication either way about the number of processors. But in system
    properties, the CPU is correctly identified as being the Athlon X2
    processor.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 27, 2005
  10. Lowly Engineer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Rôgêr spewed forth:

    >>> Tut tut, my good man. Not task manager, but system properties.

    >> The OP is looking in task manager, in the performance pane. On my HP
    >> with P4/HT it shows two CPUs.

    > Okey doke, in task manager (running Win XP x64, AMD X24200) there's no
    > indication either way about the number of processors. But in system
    > properties, the CPU is correctly identified as being the Athlon X2
    > processor.

    The CPU Usage History graph is one graph on my AMD Athlon 1500+ (old Sony
    laptop), whereas the HP with the P4/HT has the history showing two graphs. I
    believe in a dual processor there are two graphs, and if the dual processors
    are HT, there should be four. And in a dual core, it should be the same -
    two for non-HT, four for CPUs with HT. But like I said, I've not actually
    done that myself - I just saw screen shots showing that.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005
  11. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Rôgêr spewed forth:
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>In news:,
    >>>Rôgêr spewed forth:

    >>>The OP is looking in task manager, in the performance pane. On my HP
    >>>with P4/HT it shows two CPUs.

    >>Okey doke, in task manager (running Win XP x64, AMD X24200) there's no
    >>indication either way about the number of processors. But in system
    >>properties, the CPU is correctly identified as being the Athlon X2
    >>processor.

    > The CPU Usage History graph is one graph on my AMD Athlon 1500+ (old Sony
    > laptop), whereas the HP with the P4/HT has the history showing two graphs. I
    > believe in a dual processor there are two graphs, and if the dual processors
    > are HT, there should be four. And in a dual core, it should be the same -
    > two for non-HT, four for CPUs with HT. But like I said, I've not actually
    > done that myself - I just saw screen shots showing that.

    Yeah, you're right. There's two graphs there, they're not labeled to
    indicate they're for two processors, but they're there side by side.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 27, 2005
  12. In PROPERTIES, it shows "AMD Hammer Family Processor - Model unknown"

    I checked ECS's web site and there is no BIOS update listed. I knew I
    was going to have to buy a new motherboard anyway. I only paid $279
    for an XP3800 X2 boxed processor, heatsink + fan, and the
    motherboard, so I guess I didn't get ripped off too bad.

    Lowly Engineer, Nov 27, 2005
  13. Lowly Engineer wrote:
    > In PROPERTIES, it shows "AMD Hammer Family Processor - Model unknown"
    >
    > I checked ECS's web site and there is no BIOS update listed. I knew I
    > was going to have to buy a new motherboard anyway. I only paid $279
    > for an XP3800 X2 boxed processor, heatsink + fan, and the
    > motherboard, so I guess I didn't get ripped off too bad.

    The theory that I heard was that all socket 939 motherboards would be
    capable of running the X2s correctly with a BIOS upgrade. You might get
    lucky and ECS release one soon or if you can't wait, get a little higher
    end MB. I'm not putting ECS boards down, they've been a good bang for
    the buck type of board for me on a number of systems. But what vendor
    sells a CPU/MB package that's not compatible?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 27, 2005
  14. I really don't have any respect for ECS motherboards. My time is much
    too important than saving $50 on a motherboard. Still, I thought that
    since I had both, I would try.

    I got the pair at Fry's Electronics.

    Lowly Engineer, Nov 27, 2005
  15. Lowly Engineer

    kenny Guest

    you have to either do a repair installation, or even better do a clean
    install again so that the windows HIVE for 2 cpus will be loaded.

    Of course you HAVE to be using XP PRO..... you are arent you?
    Home cannot see 2 cpus, only 1 hyperthreaded one, max.

    Kenny

    kenny, Nov 27, 2005
  16. Lowly Engineer

    kenny Guest

    yes 4 graphs , for 1 hyperthreaded dual core.

    or 2 cpus that are hyperthreaded.

    kenny, Nov 27, 2005
  17. Lowly Engineer

    Trax Guest

    "kenny" <> wrote:

    |>you have to either do a repair installation, or even better do a clean
    |>install again so that the windows HIVE for 2 cpus will be loaded.
    |>
    |>Of course you HAVE to be using XP PRO..... you are arent you?
    |>Home cannot see 2 cpus, only 1 hyperthreaded one, max.

    I call BS. So I booted into XP home (Normally in XP pro)
    Two threads (CPUs) show in Home as in Pro.
    As it also does in Process Explorer for both
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    --
    http://www.sodaplay.com/constructor/index.htm
    Trax, Nov 27, 2005
  18. Lowly Engineer

    Ron Martell Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    >I call BS. So I booted into XP home (Normally in XP pro)
    >Two threads (CPUs) show in Home as in Pro.

    Windows XP Home will recognize a hyperthreading CPU as two processors
    in task manager.

    What it will not do is recognize two completely separate CPU chips, in
    separate sockets on the motherboard.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    Ron Martell, Nov 27, 2005
  19. Lowly Engineer

    Ron Martell Guest

    Lowly Engineer <> wrote:

    >I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
    >it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
    >great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
    >
    >My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
    >in the PERFORMANCE pane?
    >
    >Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
    >other applications seem to work fine.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Did you do a clean install or at least a repair install of Windows
    with the new motherboard?

    Have you loaded the motherboard drivers from the CD that came with the

    Ron Martell, Nov 27, 2005
  20. Lowly Engineer

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "kenny" <> wrote in message
    > "Lowly Engineer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I just bought a Athlon X2 (dual core) processor this weekend. I have
    >> it in an ECS NForce4-A939 motherboard. I know the motherboard isn't
    >> great, but I got such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
    >>
    >> My question: Shouldn't Win XP Pro's task manager show TWO processors
    >> in the PERFORMANCE pane?
    >>
    >> Also SiSoft SANDRA will not run. Iit either hangs or terminates. All
    >> other applications seem to work fine.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > you have to either do a repair installation, or even better do a clean
    > install again so that the windows HIVE for 2 cpus will be loaded.

    You sure? I once had a bug where Windows believed it had 2 processors
    instead of one and I managed to fix that without reinstalling. IIRC it was a
    case of updating the driver for whatever appears in the "computer" section
    in the Device Manager.
    Rich Wilson, Nov 28, 2005