    core CPU?

    Or is it entirely up to the Windows OS.

    -jeff

    Arnie, Oct 12, 2005

  2. I know that x64 Windows supports it but not unless you do a BIOS update.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 13, 2005

  3. Arnie

    Mercury Guest

    1. SMP support has been included 'in the box' for the NT family of OS for
    years.

    2. S/W dev for SMP/ multiple cores (no difference programming wise) requires
    effort to do properly- it is a 'normal' part of programming for those that
    want to make use of it.

    3. In task manager you can direct a process and all its threads at run time
    to a specific CPU (right click on the task on the processes tab and Set
    Process Affinity is what I think it is labelled (this is a single core
    laptop so i can't verify). When programming you can use the Win32 API called
    SetProcessAffinity.

    4. I don't see an API to specify affinity by thread. Doing so on a HT CPU
    would IMO be foolish as the second core is not 'real'.

    By default all the scheduling on multipl CPU's is automatic. It runs really
    well and you would need good reason to want to tinker with affinity (EG a 32
    way system and an app that needs special treatment). HT is special as it is
    not a real process and you will never be able to get 200% out of a HT CPU,
    maybe 30%.

    "Arnie" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > Does anyone know if windows or windows development can be optimized for
    > dual
    > core processors?

    1,2

    > Can a user direct a process to a particular core in Windows?

    3.
    > Can a user direct a particular thread to the hyperthreaded part of a
    > single
    > core CPU?

    4.

    Mercury, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Mercury wrote:
    > 1. SMP support has been included 'in the box' for the NT family of OS
    > for years.

    Except for XP Home edition, which doesn't have SMP support.

    --
    Wayne Wastier
    Z-80 - AMD-64

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Arnie

    Mercury Guest

    oh? thats sad :)

    Mercury, Oct 13, 2005
  6. Mercury wrote:
    > oh? thats sad :)

    I know. :)

    Seriously, there was talk about this when XP was in beta, and people heard
    that the home edition wouldn't have SMP support. The explanation was, "Home
    users don't need support for SMP." I hope this changes in Vista. (p)

    --
    Wayne Wastier
    Z-80 - AMD-64

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 13, 2005
  7. At a computer store in town, they have these step up to XP Professional
    flyers, it seems that the reason why XP Home did not get is because its
    considered a PowerUser feature. I suspect it will continue to be that way
    with Vista, but its still too early to determine, right now, its considered
    as a feature in the Ultimate Edition of Vista which is the premium offering
    in the Vista consumer branch.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 13, 2005
  8. Arnie

    Yuhong Bao Guest

    Remember that when Microsoft products count processors they are counting
    physical processors, not virtual processors.

    Yuhong Bao

    Yuhong Bao, Nov 6, 2005
  9. In what sense is a multi-core processor a virtual processor?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 7, 2005