    usually knowlegeable about computers, but I don't believe that Dell is doing
    that to make the price look better...

    Murgi

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Sigi Rindler

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:33:22 +0900, Sigi Rindler wrote:

    > I was told that the Intel Dual Core Pentium D (820) processor requires
    > Windows XP Pro. Is this true? A pamphlet from Dell Computers offers all
    > Pentium D models with Window XP Home Edition. The person who told me that
    > is usually knowlegeable about computers, but I don't believe that Dell is
    > doing that to make the price look better...

    Doesn't need Pro to work but Pro might or might not take advantage of an
    820 where Home would not.

    Meat Plow, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    > Doesn't need Pro to work but Pro might or might not take advantage of an
    > 820 where Home would not.

    Thanks for telling this one. I'd better approach Microsoft and/or Intel to
    find out for sure. If your assumption is true, it's not really fair that
    Dell doesn't mention that. Customers would have to get am upgrade to XP
    Pro... which will cost more than XP Pro in the first place.

    Sigi Rindler, Jun 20, 2006
  4. Howdy!

    "Sigi Rindler" <-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
    > I was told that the Intel Dual Core Pentium D (820) processor requires
    > Windows XP Pro. Is this true? A pamphlet from Dell Computers offers all
    > Pentium D models with Window XP Home Edition. The person who told me that

    is
    > usually knowlegeable about computers, but I don't believe that Dell is

    doing
    > that to make the price look better...

    Actually, no - SP2 on XP Home will let the dual cores operate as one
    processor, dual cored.

    Although, XP Pro or one of the Linux distros would be a better
    choice if you're running a dualie, IMO.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 21, 2006