    the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of it, it may
    be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense graphics apps, so
    perhaps I should just focus on the single-core processor speed.
    =?Utf-8?B?RS1tYW4=?=, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Vista or not... go dual core. I work at a newspaper. Lots of production in
    InDesign/PShop/Acrobat etc. under deadline. The difference between my old P4
    (RDRAM, RAID 0, 2.6gz) and my new 3800x2 @ 2.55ghz (all SCSI) is ridiculous.
    The machine just doesn't slow down. You say that you're running intense
    graphics apps. Wanna run a bunch of 'em at the same time? It's easily the
    best upgrade I ever made, and it performs excellently in XP 64 bit. I
    imagine Vista will only be an improvement, but that's still a way off. You
    can benefit from dual core right now...

    "E-man" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
    > CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should

    spend

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 9, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RS1tYW4=?=

    Default User Guest

    Yes, Vista will support dual core.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Default User, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Hey, Andre...er DeFault User.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Vista is designed to work on multi-core (not just dual-core) cpu's as well
    as multi-threading. So was XP. Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro have long
    worked on dual processor systems as well.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Yes, that's a perfect environment for both dual core and SCSI. Amazing what
    a different SCSI can make. Now, SAS is coming and that looks very
    interesting. Saw a 12 drive array that would fit on my desktop easily -- all
    72Gb SAS attached 2.5" drives. Of course the price...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2005
  7. I know that many people disdain SCSI as not worth it over SATA, but I love
    it. I regularly troll Ebay for 15K U320 drives. If you're patient you can
    save a bunch. Of course, I'm using LSI U160 controllers (dumb question: are
    U320 controllers too fast for the PCI bus? Do they require PCI-X?), but I do
    like that rapid access and the better build quality....

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 9, 2005
  8. Its OE, I need to type in the correct account information, sorry.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 9, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RS1tYW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    An Andre by any other name is still an Andre. All your posts are signed so
    I guess blocking is the only problem.

    John Barnes, Nov 9, 2005
  10. Yes. The thing many folks don't realize about SCSI is that it's not so much
    about absolute speed, as its ability to multitask without dragging the
    system down. Makes a huge difference in a real world system that is used for
    more than Word or Outlook.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RS1tYW4=?=

    Ted Guest

    I just switched two computers from SCSI to SATA.
    I have few SCSI drives that I would sell for decent price.
    Bunch of 36 MB U320, 18 MB U160, 9 MB U160, Adaptec
    cable, 29160 Adaptec adapter, Toshiba DVD Rom.
    Some are fairly new (1 or 2 years).
    I will give you the list if you like.

    I just got tired not having a good SCSI DVD/CD RW drive,
    expensive hard drives, and mainly Adaptec are dumping Win98
    so early.

    Ted, Nov 10, 2005
  12. I would've been interested, except I just picked up 2 Fujitsu 73G 15K U320
    drives for $150/ea. I'm sure they'll find a good home in some happy
    workstation around here...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 10, 2005