  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    What sound cards work with dual core and 64 bit?
    Bill, Aug 10, 2006

  2. Bill

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Dual-core doesn't really have anything to do with sound cards working.

    Check the manufacturer's web site for x64 drivers. I have a SoundBlaster
    Live! 24-bit and it works fine.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 10, 2006

  3. Bill

    Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > What sound cards work with dual core and 64 bit?

    The same cards that work with a single core CPU
    along with the applicable 64-bit sound driver.
    , Aug 10, 2006
  4. Depends on whether you are running an x86 or x64 OS. Some cards do not have
    x64 drivers yet. It does not depend on the cpu or the number of cores.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    The 64 bit motherboard I have (Foxconn NF4UKA88) has an onboard Realtek chip
    that works okay prior to installing the dual core AMD and NVIDIA drivers and
    Win64. Once they are installed the sound slows down to half speed. A recent
    Media Player update has allowed a change in speed for some midi files which
    requires an increase to about 1.666 in order to approximate normal speed but
    the sound is still distorted. I have tried to use an old ESS card but it
    only has XP and not XP64 drivers. I need a card with x64 drivers.

    --
    Patrick

    Bill, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    No 64 bit driver for the ESS card I have. What cards have 64 bit drivers?

    --
    Patrick

    Bill, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Both Foxconn claimed that it was not the hardware and replaced the
    motherboard.but same thing. I have the latest NVIDIA 64 bit drivers. Both
    the on board chip and the ESS card work under Win XP. There is no 64 bit
    driver for the ESS card. That leaves the 64 bit NVIDIA driver to run the
    onboard Realtek chip. It is only running at 2/3rds speed. NVIDIA claims it
    is not the NVIDIA drivers.

    --
    Patrick

    Bill, Aug 10, 2006
  8. Bill

    Bill Guest

    correction... the onboard Realtek chip running under Win XP runs at 2/3rds
    speed as well as under Win XP64. However, some stuuf sounds really neat at
    2/3rds speed.
    Bill, Aug 10, 2006
  9. Bill

    John Barnes Guest

    I had no problem with Realtek sound (Asus board) and no problem with my
    Creative Audigy card (x64 and Vista)

    John Barnes, Aug 10, 2006
  10. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Okay I'll order one but I'm still curious what is wrong with the onboard
    chip. Is it Windows or NVIDIA?

    Bill, Aug 10, 2006
  11. Bill

    John Barnes Guest

    Onboard sound worked fine for me, so I have no idea what your problem is.
    Mine has the ALC850 and worked with all the drivers up to the time I
    installed the Audigy. Quite frankly I was quite satisfied with the onboard
    sound but wanted the extra flexibility of the Audigy to record some old LP's
    to CD.

    John Barnes, Aug 10, 2006
  12. From the description, I'd say that Nvidia is the problem. But, of course,
    they'll claim it couldn't be them.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 11, 2006
  13. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I tend to agree since the hardware has certainly worked before AMD64 dual
    core and NVIDIA Foxconn motherboard chipset drivers were installed with the
    dual core AMD64 bit processor installed and XP up and running plus the fact
    that Foxconn exchanged the motherboard and Media Player is now able to
    change speeds for some midi files (originally Media Player speed control was
    inoperative for everything).

    Maybe somebody knows a way to get in touch with an executive at NVIDIA so I
    can tell them how easy it is to understand stuff that plays at 2/3rds speed
    so they can provide this feature for everybody's NVIDIA chip set..

    --
    Patrick

    Bill, Aug 11, 2006
  14. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have no clue. I don't think it is the installation sequence. A google
    search on ACL850 has turned up a "no sound" complaint on PlanetAMD64 but
    unless Foxconn installed a lot of bad sound chips the chip should not be the
    problem since the motherboard was replaced. Others seem to be looking for
    ACL850 drivers. If it was not included in the chipset download then maybe
    that is the problem. Gee thanks for not telling me NVIDIA if that's what it
    is.

    --
    Patrick

    Bill, Aug 11, 2006
  15. Bill

    Zack Uribe Guest

    Many of us Vista x64 testers are using the Realtek AC'97 drivers for our
    nVidia boards(which use RealTek chips...). I have not installed XP x64, so
    do not know how well they work in XP64...

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    Zack Uribe, Aug 11, 2006
  16. Bill

    John Barnes Guest

    Carlos is always posting the latest Realtek drivers here. Would suggest you
    search for From Carlos subject realtek Seems there was just one a couple
    of days ago.

    John Barnes, Aug 11, 2006
  17. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Actually the date on the audio driver on the nvidia site is after the date I
    did the original download as well as the driver on the realtek site. Maybe I
    purchased my system a bit too soon and should have waited for the price to
    drop anyway. I'll have to remember not to try and be the first one on the
    block next time. Nvidia's newer version does not work. Lets try Realteks...
    nope! Neither does Realtek's. Are you sure you have the same board?

    --
    Patrick

    Bill, Aug 11, 2006
  18. They work just fine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 11, 2006
  19. Bill

    Bill Guest

    No installation of either nvidia or realtek has worked regardless of verison
    or uninstalling previous versions. Its just wierd. Realtek shows audio
    driver version 5.10.0.651, Directx 9.0c, audio controller as nVidia(0059)
    and audio codec ACL850. Realtek connector test found the speaker port. The
    realtek auto test seems to be at the correct speed. The loopy music and the
    buzzing bee demo seems to be slow. Windows Media Player however plays at
    have speed while indicating full speed. Setting to 1.666 seems to be about
    normal but the playback is jerky. Its just wierd.

    Bill, Aug 11, 2006
  20. Bill:
    Looking for drivers Realtek has no drivers listed for the ALC850
    chipset. The ALC850 is a 8 channel chipset and the ALC650 is a 6 channel
    chipset. I had this problem with a 32 bit motherboard getting the sound
    right because I couldn't find the right drivers at the time. Going on memory
    I found drivers for Realtek that started with an 8. There are x64 drivers
    listed for a RTL8139 series they may work. Just a WAG because I'm going on
    memory and I don't have the PC. I was doing a hard drive replacement for a
    friend with no driver disks. Verify that all Nvidia and Realtek audio
    drivers are uninstalled prior to trying the RTL8139 drivers.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 11, 2006