Dual Cisco 2501 router setup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by darkspleen@gmail.com, May 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm attempting to setup two Cisco 2501 routers to
    study for the CCNA. Since I'm a bit new to Cisco
    equipment, could someone give me a general outline
    on how to setup the 2 2501s to route traffic between
    2 networks?

    I've done this numerous times with FreeBSD or Linux
    boxes, but I'm somewhat lost on the Cisco 2501s.
    So far, I've configured and brought up Ethernet0 on both
    routers. One is configured as 192.168.1.1/24 while the
    other interface is configured at 172.16.255.1/16. Each
    interface is connected to a Cisco 1924 switch, each
    switch is isolated by itself. Finally I have a DCE->DTE
    cable running from Serial0 of router 1 to Serial0 of
    router 2. Is there anything else I should do? I've got
    to be missing something simple...

    The following is a rough idea of my setup:

    ST = straight through cable

    Computer 1 <ST> Cisco 1924 <ST> Cisco 2501 <DCE/DTE> Cisco 2501
    <ST> Cisco 1924 <ST> Computer 2

    Thanks for the help.
    , May 12, 2006

  2. "" <> writes:
    >I'm attempting to setup two Cisco 2501 routers to
    >study for the CCNA. Since I'm a bit new to Cisco
    >equipment, could someone give me a general outline
    >on how to setup the 2 2501s to route traffic between
    >2 networks?

    >I've done this numerous times with FreeBSD or Linux
    >boxes, but I'm somewhat lost on the Cisco 2501s.
    >So far, I've configured and brought up Ethernet0 on both
    >routers. One is configured as 192.168.1.1/24 while the
    >other interface is configured at 172.16.255.1/16. Each
    >interface is connected to a Cisco 1924 switch, each
    >switch is isolated by itself. Finally I have a DCE->DTE
    >cable running from Serial0 of router 1 to Serial0 of
    >router 2. Is there anything else I should do? I've got
    >to be missing something simple...

    Routers generally have an IP address for each interface, and route
    layer-3 traffic from interface to interface. Ethernet interfaces
    aren't the only ones that you have IP addresses on. Some routers have
    hundreds of real or virtual interfaces, each with their own IP address
    in different networks.

    In general (without doing things like "ip unnumbered" you would assign
    an additional network to s0 on the first 2501, and another IP in that
    network to s0 on the 2nd 2501.

    Routers don't bridge traffic (unless you setup bridging), they route,
    so you need to tell routers which interface to route through, and
    create the routing table to handle all traffic.

    So you would setup a static route for 172.16.255.1/16 to route down
    out the serial interface (either by an IP gateway route, or out the
    interface itself), and likewise on the other 2501.
    Doug McIntyre, May 12, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the quick response. So would the following
    work fine provided I setup the correct routes after setting
    up the interfaces correctly?

    Switch 1 - Ethernet 1 - 192.168.100.1
    Switch 1 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.1
    Switch 2 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.2
    Switch 2 - Ethernet 1 - 172.16.255.1
    , May 14, 2006
  4. "" <> writes:
    >Thanks for the quick response. So would the following
    >work fine provided I setup the correct routes after setting
    >up the interfaces correctly?

    >Switch 1 - Ethernet 1 - 192.168.100.1
    >Switch 1 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.1
    >Switch 2 - Serial 0 - 192.168.0.2
    >Switch 2 - Ethernet 1 - 172.16.255.1

    Sure, that sounds good (although I don't know what context a "switch"
    would be for a serial interface).
    Doug McIntyre, May 15, 2006