    doesn't work.

    I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy would
    work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?

    cowboyz, Feb 15, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    Rider Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    news:c0ohh4$mmj$...
    > looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to hardOCP
    > website all is good but I noticed this
    >
    > memory:
    >
    > 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
    > Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
    > Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
    >
    > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even number
    > of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy

    would
    > work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?

    Wouldnt 4 slots make it quadruple mode? :p

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 15, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    colinco Guest

    In article <c0ohh4$mmj$>, says...
    > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even number
    > of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
    > doesn't work.

    Sometimes you can run 3 slots with amount of ram in 2 slot channel = ram
    in single slot channel, eg 2x512 + 1G. The more ram and the higher the
    freq you run increases the Amps required.

    colinco, Feb 15, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > > looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to

    hardOCP
    > > website all is good but I noticed this
    > >
    > > memory:
    > >
    > > 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
    > > Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
    > > Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
    > >
    > > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even

    number
    > > of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
    > > doesn't work.
    > >
    > > I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy

    > would
    > > work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?
    > >

    > Wouldnt 4 slots make it quadruple mode? :p
    >
    > Rider

    Hmmmm. good point. that is just getting silly.

    cowboyz, Feb 15, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c0ohh4$mmj$>, says...
    > > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even

    number
    > > of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
    > > doesn't work.
    > >

    > Sometimes you can run 3 slots with amount of ram in 2 slot channel = ram
    > in single slot channel, eg 2x512 + 1G. The more ram and the higher the
    > freq you run increases the Amps required.

    What are you trying to say?

    cowboyz, Feb 15, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    colinco Guest

    In article <c0oqpc$s27$>, says...
    > What are you trying to say?

    That you can use 3 slots in dual channel mode but some motherboards may
    not supply enough power to the ram slots to a. run lots of ram or b. run
    it fast without errors

    colinco, Feb 15, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c0oqpc$s27$>, says...
    > > What are you trying to say?
    > >

    > That you can use 3 slots in dual channel mode but some motherboards may
    > not supply enough power to the ram slots to a. run lots of ram or b. run
    > it fast without errors

    oh I see now. but still limited to 2GB

    cowboyz, Feb 15, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    Paradox Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to hardOCP
    > website all is good but I noticed this
    >
    > memory:
    >
    > 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
    > Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
    > Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
    >
    > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even number
    > of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy

    would
    > work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?

    I have one of these boards. To activate dual channel you fill slot 3 (the
    master channel) first, and you can then fill slot 1 or 2 or both.

    Looking at the manual it seems you can run 3GB in dual mode, but your
    HardOCP data suggests not if it's DDR400 RAM.

    Rob

    Paradox, Feb 16, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to
    > hardOCP website all is good but I noticed this
    >
    > memory:
    >
    > 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
    > Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
    > Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
    >
    > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even
    > number of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots.
    > Instead 1 slot doesn't work.
    >
    > I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy
    > would work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running
    > normally?

    We have two of these boards and they're great. Well, SL-75FRN2-L's, I think
    the FRN-L is pre-nForce 2 isn't it? QMB seems to be the cheapest for these
    boards.

    Slot 3 is one channel, slots 1 and 2 are the second channel.

    It is my understanding that you can have any combination of module sizes.
    Both channels don't have to be the same, so you could theoretically have 3GB
    of RAM in dual-channel mode, I channel 1GB and the other 2GB.

    I could be wrong, I haven't tried it, but that's my understanding of it. I
    wish I had a spare module to try it out for you.

    BTW, dual-channel is only about 5% faster in real-world applications anyway.
    (Unless you have a board with on-board graphics that shares system RAM, not
    the case here).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2004
  10. cowboyz

    colinco Guest

    In article <JV1Yb.46141$>,
    ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    > It is my understanding that you can have any combination of module sizes.
    > Both channels don't have to be the same, so you could theoretically have 3GB
    > of RAM in dual-channel mode, I channel 1GB and the other 2GB.

    Assuming 3 1GB sticks you would have 2GB running ing dual mode and 1GB
    running in single mode.

    From nVidia
    "Both of the memory controllers on DualDDR are functionally identical
    with all control and timing parameters independently programmable. This
    flexibility allows the users to populate up to three asymmetric DIMMs in
    any organization, size and speed. DualDDR simply adjust to the lowest
    common density that will facilitate 128-bit bandwidth,"

    colinco, Feb 16, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article <JV1Yb.46141$>,
    > ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    >> It is my understanding that you can have any combination of module
    >> sizes. Both channels don't have to be the same, so you could
    >> theoretically have 3GB of RAM in dual-channel mode, I channel 1GB
    >> and the other 2GB.
    >>

    > Assuming 3 1GB sticks you would have 2GB running ing dual mode and 1GB
    > running in single mode.
    >
    > From nVidia
    > "Both of the memory controllers on DualDDR are functionally identical
    > with all control and timing parameters independently programmable.
    > This flexibility allows the users to populate up to three asymmetric
    > DIMMs in any organization, size and speed. DualDDR simply adjust to
    > the lowest common density that will facilitate 128-bit bandwidth,"

    Thanks for that. I read the manual that came with my 75FRN2-L and it wasn't
    very clear on the subject.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2004