dual channel ram disappointing.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    running PC mark 2002 I get these results

    system was:

    XP1900+
    256meg PC2700 RAM
    GF4MX460
    KT400 motherboard
    Seagate 40G HDD (7200 2MB)
    scores:

    CPU 4404
    memory 3479
    HDD 639

    current system

    XP2100+
    512 Meg PC3200 running dual channel at 200Mhz.
    GF4MX460
    Nforce2 Motherboard (with dual channel enabled)
    Seagate 120G HDD (7200 2MB)

    scores

    CPU 4589
    memory 3525
    HDD 766

    comments?
    cowboyz, Feb 27, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > running PC mark 2002 I get these results
    >

    > system was:
    >
    > XP1900+
    > 256meg PC2700 RAM
    > GF4MX460
    > KT400 motherboard
    > Seagate 40G HDD (7200 2MB)
    > scores:
    >
    > CPU 4404
    > memory 3479
    > HDD 639
    >
    > current system
    >
    > XP2100+
    > 512 Meg PC3200 running dual channel at 200Mhz.
    > GF4MX460
    > Nforce2 Motherboard (with dual channel enabled)
    > Seagate 120G HDD (7200 2MB)
    >
    > scores
    >
    > CPU 4589
    > memory 3525
    > HDD 766
    >
    > comments?

    for interests sake.

    Same system running dual channel at 133 (266) yeilds these results.

    CPU 5093
    memory 3911
    HDD 799

    which is closer to what I was expecting.

    So I conclude that there is really no point in running DDR400 RAM if your
    CPU is only at 266. I don't see the point in upgrading the CPU now (on the
    brink of 64 bit) so I think I'll just leave it at that.
    cowboyz, Feb 27, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    colinco Guest

    In article <c1obuj$h3a$>, says...
    > So I conclude that there is really no point in running DDR400 RAM if your
    > CPU is only at 266. I don't see the point in upgrading the CPU now (on the
    > brink of 64 bit) so I think I'll just leave it at that.

    If you still want to fiddle - is your xp2100 multiplier locked in that
    board. You could be able to run at 400 with a lower mult.
    colinco, Feb 27, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c1obuj$h3a$>, says...
    > > So I conclude that there is really no point in running DDR400 RAM if

    your
    > > CPU is only at 266. I don't see the point in upgrading the CPU now (on

    the
    > > brink of 64 bit) so I think I'll just leave it at that.
    > >

    > If you still want to fiddle - is your xp2100 multiplier locked in that
    > board. You could be able to run at 400 with a lower mult.

    good point. I'll go check. It was always locked in the KT400 but havent
    tried with this board.
    cowboyz, Feb 27, 2004
  5. cowboyz wrote:
    > running PC mark 2002 I get these results

    *snip*
    > comments?

    Your video card sucks... but ummm whats wrong with the scores?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 27, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:36:48 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >running PC mark 2002 I get these results
    >

    >system was:
    >
    >XP1900+
    >256meg PC2700 RAM
    >GF4MX460
    >KT400 motherboard
    >Seagate 40G HDD (7200 2MB)
    >scores:
    >
    >CPU 4404
    >memory 3479
    >HDD 639
    >
    >current system
    >
    >XP2100+
    >512 Meg PC3200 running dual channel at 200Mhz.
    >GF4MX460
    >Nforce2 Motherboard (with dual channel enabled)
    >Seagate 120G HDD (7200 2MB)
    >
    >scores
    >
    >CPU 4589
    >memory 3525
    >HDD 766
    >
    >comments?

    Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my Dual
    Channel setup with a P4..
    Tick Tock, Feb 27, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    Tock Tick Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:36:48 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    > >running PC mark 2002 I get these results
    > >

    > >system was:
    > >
    > >XP1900+
    > >256meg PC2700 RAM
    > >GF4MX460
    > >KT400 motherboard
    > >Seagate 40G HDD (7200 2MB)
    > >scores:
    > >
    > >CPU 4404
    > >memory 3479
    > >HDD 639
    > >
    > >current system
    > >
    > >XP2100+
    > >512 Meg PC3200 running dual channel at 200Mhz.
    > >GF4MX460
    > >Nforce2 Motherboard (with dual channel enabled)
    > >Seagate 120G HDD (7200 2MB)
    > >
    > >scores
    > >
    > >CPU 4589
    > >memory 3525
    > >HDD 766
    > >
    > >comments?
    > >

    > Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my Dual
    > Channel setup with a P4..

    Wots the CPU got to do with it diphead.

    --
    Duncan
    Tock Tick, Feb 28, 2004
  8. Tock Tick wrote:
    >>Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my Dual
    >>Channel setup with a P4..

    > Wots the CPU got to do with it diphead.

    The Dumbarse probably meant the chipset, but I doubt it... all things
    are black and white with him... there is no grey.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2004
  9. Tock Tick wrote:
    >> Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my
    >> Dual Channel setup with a P4..

    > Wots the CPU got to do with it diphead.

    Lots! You need a higher FSB to get faster RAM acccess.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 28, 2004
  10. cowboyz

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:36:48 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >running PC mark 2002 I get these results
    >

    >system was:
    >
    >XP1900+
    >256meg PC2700 RAM
    >GF4MX460
    >KT400 motherboard
    >Seagate 40G HDD (7200 2MB)
    >scores:
    >
    >CPU 4404
    >memory 3479
    >HDD 639
    >
    >current system
    >
    >XP2100+
    >512 Meg PC3200 running dual channel at 200Mhz.
    >GF4MX460
    >Nforce2 Motherboard (with dual channel enabled)
    >Seagate 120G HDD (7200 2MB)
    >
    >scores
    >
    >CPU 4589
    >memory 3525
    >HDD 766
    >
    >comments?

    My Scores

    CPU 6278
    Mem 9056
    HDD 847

    Intel Wins...
    Tick Tock, Feb 28, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:21:54 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Tock Tick wrote:
    >>>Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my Dual
    >>>Channel setup with a P4..

    >> Wots the CPU got to do with it diphead.

    >The Dumbarse probably meant the chipset, but I doubt it... all things
    >are black and white with him... there is no grey.

    Hay, I am not going Grey..
    Tick Tock, Feb 28, 2004
  12. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:a3Q%b.4226$...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > running PC mark 2002 I get these results

    > *snip*
    > > comments?

    > Your video card sucks... but ummm whats wrong with the scores?
    >
    > --
    > Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    > Play Hangman
    > Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

    video card does suck but in a kinda of linux rulez kind of a way.

    ie. my video card can do *everything* I want it to do. I have looked into
    upgrading it but just can't justify the upgrade right now. I'll give it
    another 6 months.

    Whats wrong with the scores? 256Meg ram running single channel scoring
    equivilent to 512Meg running dual channel. Thats whats wrong with those
    scores. At the end of the day I get better results running the RAM at
    PC2100 dual channel. Probably cause bandwidth is limited by my ageing CPU.
    Again, I've got a XP2500+ sitting on my desk but it is not worth me putting
    it into this machine because this machine can handle everything I throw at
    it and going from 2100 to 2500 is not a big enough upgrade for me.
    cowboyz, Feb 28, 2004
  13. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Tick Tock" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:36:48 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    > >running PC mark 2002 I get these results
    > >

    > >system was:
    > >
    > >XP1900+
    > >256meg PC2700 RAM
    > >GF4MX460
    > >KT400 motherboard
    > >Seagate 40G HDD (7200 2MB)
    > >scores:
    > >
    > >CPU 4404
    > >memory 3479
    > >HDD 639
    > >
    > >current system
    > >
    > >XP2100+
    > >512 Meg PC3200 running dual channel at 200Mhz.
    > >GF4MX460
    > >Nforce2 Motherboard (with dual channel enabled)
    > >Seagate 120G HDD (7200 2MB)
    > >
    > >scores
    > >
    > >CPU 4589
    > >memory 3525
    > >HDD 766
    > >
    > >comments?
    > >

    > Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my Dual
    > Channel setup with a P4..

    Congratulations. I do notice athat you were not so willing to benchmark
    your machine before.
    cowboyz, Feb 28, 2004
  14. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Tock Tick" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:36:48 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >running PC mark 2002 I get these results
    > > >

    > > >system was:
    > > >
    > > >XP1900+
    > > >256meg PC2700 RAM
    > > >GF4MX460
    > > >KT400 motherboard
    > > >Seagate 40G HDD (7200 2MB)
    > > >scores:
    > > >
    > > >CPU 4404
    > > >memory 3479
    > > >HDD 639
    > > >
    > > >current system
    > > >
    > > >XP2100+
    > > >512 Meg PC3200 running dual channel at 200Mhz.
    > > >GF4MX460
    > > >Nforce2 Motherboard (with dual channel enabled)
    > > >Seagate 120G HDD (7200 2MB)
    > > >
    > > >scores
    > > >
    > > >CPU 4589
    > > >memory 3525
    > > >HDD 766
    > > >
    > > >comments?
    > > >

    > > Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my Dual
    > > Channel setup with a P4..

    > Wots the CPU got to do with it diphead.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    I have concluded that the CPU and it's bandwidth have alot to do with it.
    I am sure that a bigger CPU will yeild a bigger score in both CPU and Memory
    scores..
    cowboyz, Feb 28, 2004
  15. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "colinco" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <c1obuj$h3a$>, says...
    >>> So I conclude that there is really no point in running DDR400 RAM
    >>> if your CPU is only at 266. I don't see the point in upgrading the
    >>> CPU now (on the brink of 64 bit) so I think I'll just leave it at
    >>> that.
    >>>

    >> If you still want to fiddle - is your xp2100 multiplier locked in
    >> that board. You could be able to run at 400 with a lower mult.

    > good point. I'll go check. It was always locked in the KT400 but
    > havent tried with this board.

    That's what I'd do. I have my XP1800+ on a 200MHz FSB and it's a huge
    improvement.

    Running the RAM at a different speed to the FSB usually results in poor
    performance.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Feb 28, 2004
  16. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    > message news:a3Q%b.4226$...
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>> running PC mark 2002 I get these results

    >> *snip*
    >>> comments?

    >> Your video card sucks... but ummm whats wrong with the scores?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    >> Play Hangman
    >> Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

    > video card does suck but in a kinda of linux rulez kind of a way.
    >
    > ie. my video card can do *everything* I want it to do. I have
    > looked into upgrading it but just can't justify the upgrade right
    > now. I'll give it another 6 months.
    >
    > Whats wrong with the scores? 256Meg ram running single channel
    > scoring equivilent to 512Meg running dual channel. Thats whats wrong
    > with those scores. At the end of the day I get better results
    > running the RAM at PC2100 dual channel. Probably cause bandwidth is
    > limited by my ageing CPU. Again, I've got a XP2500+ sitting on my
    > desk but it is not worth me putting it into this machine because this
    > machine can handle everything I throw at it and going from 2100 to
    > 2500 is not a big enough upgrade for me.

    I'd use the Barton personally if you already have it. The extra 256KB of L2
    cache makes a bigger difference than the clock-speed. But, if your machine
    already does all you want fast enough then I see your point. I'm just a
    "more power" sorta guy.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Feb 28, 2004
  17. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "Tock Tick" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>> Yes you have use a AMD Crap CPU, I get double the Ram speed with my
    >>> Dual Channel setup with a P4..

    >> Wots the CPU got to do with it diphead.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duncan

    > I have concluded that the CPU and it's bandwidth have alot to do with
    > it.
    > I am sure that a bigger CPU will yeild a bigger score in both CPU and
    > Memory scores..

    Maybe more the FSB speed it's running on rather than the CPU itself.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Feb 28, 2004
  18. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo'ters'.co.nz> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    > > message news:a3Q%b.4226$...
    > >> *snip*
    > >>
    > >> Your video card sucks... but ummm whats wrong with the scores?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    > >> Play Hangman
    > >> Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

    > > video card does suck but in a kinda of linux rulez kind of a way.
    > >
    > > ie. my video card can do *everything* I want it to do. I have
    > > looked into upgrading it but just can't justify the upgrade right
    > > now. I'll give it another 6 months.
    > >
    > > Whats wrong with the scores? 256Meg ram running single channel
    > > scoring equivilent to 512Meg running dual channel. Thats whats wrong
    > > with those scores. At the end of the day I get better results
    > > running the RAM at PC2100 dual channel. Probably cause bandwidth is
    > > limited by my ageing CPU. Again, I've got a XP2500+ sitting on my
    > > desk but it is not worth me putting it into this machine because this
    > > machine can handle everything I throw at it and going from 2100 to
    > > 2500 is not a big enough upgrade for me.

    > I'd use the Barton personally if you already have it. The extra 256KB of

    L2
    > cache makes a bigger difference than the clock-speed. But, if your machine
    > already does all you want fast enough then I see your point. I'm just a
    > "more power" sorta guy.
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    >

    > ---

    What it is is a mate of mine wanted the 'pack C' from OEM computers but
    couldn't/didn't want to build it himself. So I told him I would build it if
    I could pick and swap some components. So when the FRN2-L showed up I
    remembered you raving about it so nabbed that as a swap for my SL-75KT400A
    and 40x CDRW. To swap the CPU he would want something else and I haven't
    anything else to trade so I'd have to give him some money and with the CPU
    only worth $170 I really can't suggest a 'fair' cash trade for it. I might
    like the XP2100 isn't going to be a boost for him anyway.
    cowboyz, Feb 28, 2004
  19. cowboyz

    > Maybe more the FSB speed it's running on rather than the CPU itself.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    You have the XP2500 don't you?

    At 200FSB what multiplier have you got it set at?
    cowboyz, Feb 28, 2004
  20. On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:40:38 +1300, Tick Tock <>
    wrote:

    >My Scores
    >
    >CPU 6278
    >Mem 9056
    >HDD 847

    What spec is your box?

    Mine obviously needs some tweaking

    CPU 6308
    Mem 7578
    HDD 610

    Configuration:
    Intel Pentium 4 @ 2600 MHz (HT)
    Intel D865PERLL (800 FSB)
    2x Kingston DDR400 512MB (Dual Channel)
    Seagate Barracuda IV 60GB (OK, it's old) :)

    Not sure why my memory score is so low??
    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Feb 28, 2004