    of 1536Mb memory or should I just leave well enough alone?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Oct 12, 2005

  2. JTJersey

    The One Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    news:0Ja3f.2378$...
    > I've got 1024Mb memory with 2 matching 512Mb PC3200 running in dual
    > channel mode. Is it better if I fit another 512Mb PC3200 chip for a total
    > of 1536Mb memory or should I just leave well enough alone?
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Better for what?

    The One, Oct 13, 2005

  3. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:47:24 +0100, The One wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got 1024Mb memory with 2 matching 512Mb PC3200 running in dual
    >> channel mode. Is it better if I fit another 512Mb PC3200 chip for a
    >> total of 1536Mb memory or should I just leave well enough alone? --
    >> Registered Linux User #267152
    >>

    > Better for what?

    Overall system performance.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Oct 13, 2005
  4. JTJersey

    The One Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:47:24 +0100, The One wrote:
    >

    > > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > >> I've got 1024Mb memory with 2 matching 512Mb PC3200 running in dual
    > >> channel mode. Is it better if I fit another 512Mb PC3200 chip for a
    > >> total of 1536Mb memory or should I just leave well enough alone? --
    > >> Registered Linux User #267152
    > >>

    > > Better for what?

    > Overall system performance.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Of course more memory increases performance. :-s

    The One, Oct 14, 2005
  5. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:19:31 +0100, The One wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:47:24 +0100, The One wrote:
    >>

    >> > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> >>

    >> > Better for what?

    >> Overall system performance.
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux User #267152
    >>

    > Of course more memory increases performance. :-s

    There seems to be a question about that when it comes to the dual channel
    architecture. Supposedly dual channel mode doubles the throughput of the
    memory so that means my 1Gig of memory will actually act as 2Gig's.
    Introducing a third 512Mb memory chip, even if identical, drops the system
    back to single channel mode giving me only a Gig and a half. In theory
    that extra memory would actually slow my system down.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Oct 14, 2005
  6. JTJersey

    The One Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:19:31 +0100, The One wrote:
    >

    > > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > >> Overall system performance.
    > >> --
    > >> Registered Linux User #267152
    > >>

    > > Of course more memory increases performance. :-s

    > There seems to be a question about that when it comes to the dual channel
    > architecture. Supposedly dual channel mode doubles the throughput of the
    > memory so that means my 1Gig of memory will actually act as 2Gig's.
    > Introducing a third 512Mb memory chip, even if identical, drops the system
    > back to single channel mode giving me only a Gig and a half. In theory
    > that extra memory would actually slow my system down.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Is your motherboard configured for the use of dual channel?

    The One, Oct 14, 2005
  7. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:57:02 +0100, The One wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:19:31 +0100, The One wrote:
    >>

    >> > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    >> > Of course more memory increases performance. :-s

    >> There seems to be a question about that when it comes to the dual
    >> channel architecture. Supposedly dual channel mode doubles the
    >> throughput of the memory so that means my 1Gig of memory will actually
    >> act as 2Gig's. Introducing a third 512Mb memory chip, even if
    >> identical, drops the system back to single channel mode giving me only
    >> a Gig and a half. In theory that extra memory would actually slow my
    >> system down. -- Registered Linux User #267152
    >>

    > Is your motherboard configured for the use of dual channel?

    Yes and the BIOS does report dual channel mode is active on boot up. It
    has only three slots however, so I can't use four chips and still get dual
    channel mode. I can only put one chip in slot 1 and one in slot 3 for it
    to work. Fitting the third chip drops me back into single channel mode.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Oct 14, 2005