    difference does it make?

    TIA,

    Derek
    DiddyS, Feb 25, 2004

  2. DiddyS

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "DiddyS" <> wrote in news:dH5%b.20499$cb.5679
    @news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

    > I've been told that I need to buy a pair of "matched" memory modules for
    > this to work properly. Is this correct or can I just use a pair of memory
    > modules of the same size and make, but not sold as a matched pair? What
    > difference does it make?

    A matched pair are guarenteed to work together. If I were you, I'd just go
    to Crucial and buy two sticks of 512 megs each of PC3200 DDR RAM. The odds
    of you buying two sticks of RAM at the same time from the same high quality
    vendor, even not a "matched" pair, and having them not work flawlessly
    together is on the low side of things.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 25, 2004

  3. DiddyS

    Thor Guest

    Besides Demon's good advice, understand that it's not a *requirement* to use
    dual channel on the A7N8X. You can use a single stick or multiple sticks in
    single channel mode.

    Thor, Feb 25, 2004
  4. DiddyS

    DiddyS Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for your comments,

    Derek

    DiddyS, Feb 26, 2004
  5. DiddyS

    bmoag Guest

    Most dual channel motherboards have 3 slots and require two memory sticks of
    the same capacity and speed in 2 of the slots. What is never clear is
    whether you lose the dual rate if you place a memory chip in the third slot
    .. . . .
    bmoag, Feb 27, 2004
  6. DiddyS

    Thor Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > Most dual channel motherboards have 3 slots and require two memory sticks

    of
    > the same capacity and speed in 2 of the slots. What is never clear is
    > whether you lose the dual rate if you place a memory chip in the third

    slot

    With the A7N8X I believe you get dual channel on the pair in the blue slots,
    and single channel on the black slot when all three are filled.
    Thor, Feb 27, 2004