    performance?

    I have 2-512 MB PC3200 mods. How much improvement would you expect
    from 2 more?

    PowerPost2000, Dec 23, 2003

  2. PowerPost2000

    Emrys Davies Guest

    An interesting site on your topic.

    http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7n8x-x/

    As for adding more memory, have a look at your mother board's manual and
    see what it recommends.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Dec 23, 2003

  3. PowerPost2000

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:00:32 -0500, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:

    > What, exactly, does dual channel memory mean?
    >
    > And if I only use 2 of the 4 DIMM slots, am I missing out on a lot of
    > performance?
    >
    > I have 2-512 MB PC3200 mods. How much improvement would you expect
    > from 2 more?

    In a nutshell, think of dual channel DDR-SDRAM as a two lane highway as
    opposed to a single lane carriageway.

    http://www.sillaro.it/Prodotti/Memorie/download/MemoryTecnologies.pdf
    http://memoryupgrades.4t.com/custom.html
    http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/RAM.htm

    As far as a performance improvement goes, that depends on what you intend
    to do with your PC. I have the same kit and my PC screams along with
    everything I've thrown at it so far. Better to save your money for the
    moment.
    B.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Dec 23, 2003