Dual booting

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VWJlcmZseQ==?=, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. Is it possible to have a dual boot system setup, for windwos XP PRO on one
    partition, and windoww XP PRO x64 on the other partition of the same drive?

    =?Utf-8?B?VWJlcmZseQ==?=, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Uberfly wrote:
    > Is it possible to have a dual boot system setup, for windwos XP PRO on one
    > partition, and windoww XP PRO x64 on the other partition of the same drive?

    Both possible and easy.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Yes. You should install the 32-bit version first, then the 64-bit version.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 17, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VWJlcmZseQ==?=

    mike ti Guest

    what if I had installed 64-bit OS first. How and what (i.e. what tools)
    should I use to have dual boot for both 32-bit and 64-bit OSes.

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:...

    mike ti, Oct 17, 2005
  5. It is recommended that you create a separate partition for Windows XP x64.
    Install XP 32-bit first, use a partitioning tool such as partition magic to
    create the drive partition to install XP x64 on first then boot from the XP
    x64 and install to designated partition.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 17, 2005
  6. If you already have x64 on, and want to add 32-bit Windows, your task is a
    bit trickier. (The order always needs to be the order of the original OS
    release.)

    From an earlier post by John Barnes:
    Also if your system drive is the x64 partition, you will need to save copies
    of the ntldr and ntdetect.com BEFORE you install the x86 version as it will
    overwrite them. You can clean up everything from the x86 system after it
    boots up. First reinstall the saved files to replace the ones installed by
    x86, then fix your boot.ini in system properties or safest is to go into
    the recovery console and do the bootcfg /rebuild as it will know what the
    disk setup is and which is not always obvious when trying to rebuild it in
    system properties.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64