    OS's?

    If so, which distribution of Linux would you recommend?

    Gareth

    Gareth Slee, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Gareth Slee

    Harrison Guest

    As a matter of fact, yes, you can dual boot the two quite easily.
    I suggest you try Knoppix first. Knoppix boots and runs Linux from the
    CD. It's amazing as long as you have a decent amount of memory (256 or
    more) in the system. With Knoppix, you can try Linux without changing
    anything about your Windows installation.
    If you like it, there is a way to install it to the hard drive as
    well.
    See http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

    Red Hat and Mandrake are also good starter systems as they will create
    the necessary partitions during the setup process, using Windows free
    space.

    I'm sure Linux gurus will weigh in as well.

    More information:
    www.linuxiso.org - Download free Linux and BSD cd images.
    http://gag.sourceforge.net/ - Gag Bootloader (some prefer it over LILO
    and other Linux boot loaders.

    ***Important***
    If you don't know how to restore the Windows Master Boot Record, print
    this part out. You may want to use it if you decide to go back to a
    single boot XP system, or if there's trouble with the Linux loader.

    Boot to the XP CD and choose to repair. Choose the given Windows
    installation (typically 1) and enter the Admin. password when
    prompted.
    At the command prompt, type fixmbr and hit Enter.

    Good Luck!

    Harrison, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Alexander Rogge, Jan 30, 2004