    it may not be able to. It seems all that can be done is to change the
    BIOS Settings to tell a different drive to boot, then that drive becomes
    C drive from Windows' point of view and the other drive is accessible as D.

    SchoolTech, Jun 8, 2006

  2. SchoolTech

    John John Guest

    Boot with the Windows XP CD and launch the Recovery Console then use
    bootcfg to querry the installations. Try any of these:

    bootcfg /scan

    bootcfg /rebuild

    bootcfg /add

    See here for more information:

    A discussion about the Bootcfg command and its uses
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291980

    John

    John John, Jun 9, 2006

  3. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    John John wrote:
    > Boot with the Windows XP CD and launch the Recovery Console then use
    > bootcfg to querry the installations. Try any of these:
    >
    > bootcfg /scan
    >
    > bootcfg /rebuild
    >
    > bootcfg /add
    >
    > See here for more information:
    >
    > A discussion about the Bootcfg command and its uses
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291980
    >
    > John
    >
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> I have a SATA drive and an IDE drive (primary slave) that I want to
    >> use as dual boot.
    >>
    >> The problem seems to be working out the syntax for the boot.ini file,
    >> and an article I found on MS's website implies the XP bootloader ntldr
    >> can't really handle drives on different controllers too well.
    >>
    >> Anyway. The SATA drive is multi(0)rdisk(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >> The IDE drive? Tried a few combinations but not one that works. In
    >> fact it may not be able to. It seems all that can be done is to change
    >> the BIOS Settings to tell a different drive to boot, then that drive
    >> becomes C drive from Windows' point of view and the other drive is
    >> accessible as D.

    Thanks
    Normally when I have installed Windows it detects the dual installation,
    so I'm assuming in this case, for reasons mentioned, it can't detect the
    IDE drive when it boots off the SATA.

    But I'll try the suggestions.

    SchoolTech, Jun 9, 2006
  4. SchoolTech

    John John Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > John John wrote:
    >
    >> Boot with the Windows XP CD and launch the Recovery Console then use
    >> bootcfg to querry the installations. Try any of these:
    >>
    >> bootcfg /scan
    >>
    >> bootcfg /rebuild
    >>
    >> bootcfg /add
    >>
    >> See here for more information:
    >>
    >> A discussion about the Bootcfg command and its uses
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291980
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> SchoolTech wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a SATA drive and an IDE drive (primary slave) that I want to
    >>> use as dual boot.
    >>>
    >>> The problem seems to be working out the syntax for the boot.ini file,
    >>> and an article I found on MS's website implies the XP bootloader
    >>> ntldr can't really handle drives on different controllers too well.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway. The SATA drive is multi(0)rdisk(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >>> The IDE drive? Tried a few combinations but not one that works. In
    >>> fact it may not be able to. It seems all that can be done is to
    >>> change the BIOS Settings to tell a different drive to boot, then that
    >>> drive becomes C drive from Windows' point of view and the other drive
    >>> is accessible as D.

    > Thanks
    > Normally when I have installed Windows it detects the dual installation,
    > so I'm assuming in this case, for reasons mentioned, it can't detect the
    > IDE drive when it boots off the SATA.
    >
    > But I'll try the suggestions.

    It should have detected it when the second Windows installation took
    place. If it can't detect and boot it with the ntldr you should try
    using a third party boot manager like BootItNG or XOSL. After rereading
    your first post one sentence makes it quite apparent that the
    installation wasn't performed as a normal Microsoft dual boot setup.
    You said:

    "It seems all that can be done is to change the BIOS Settings to tell a
    different drive to boot, then that drive becomes C drive from Windows'
    point of view and the other drive is accessible as D."

    To me that makes it evident that both operating systems are installed as
    independent systems. In a Microsoft multi-boot there is only one system
    partition and the second installation would not or should not boot if
    the drive containing the system partition were turned off in the BIOS.
    I don't know in what order you installed these operating systems but
    probably when you did the IDE installation you should have done the F6
    routine during the setup to have Windows see the SATA drive. I think
    that at this juncture you might be better off using a boot manager.

    John

    John John, Jun 9, 2006
  5. SchoolTech

    Calvin Guest

    Hi John,

    John John wrote:

    > It should have detected it when the second Windows installation took
    > place. If it can't detect and boot it with the ntldr you should try
    > using a third party boot manager like BootItNG or XOSL. After rereading
    > your first post one sentence makes it quite apparent that the
    > installation wasn't performed as a normal Microsoft dual boot setup. You
    > said:
    >
    > "It seems all that can be done is to change the BIOS Settings to tell a
    > different drive to boot, then that drive becomes C drive from Windows'
    > point of view and the other drive is accessible as D."
    >
    > To me that makes it evident that both operating systems are installed as
    > independent systems. In a Microsoft multi-boot there is only one system
    > partition and the second installation would not or should not boot if
    > the drive containing the system partition were turned off in the BIOS. I
    > don't know in what order you installed these operating systems but
    > probably when you did the IDE installation you should have done the F6
    > routine during the setup to have Windows see the SATA drive. I think
    > that at this juncture you might be better off using a boot manager.

    I suspect you are right - reading what the OP has said, my suspicion is
    that each OS was set up independently on their own HDD. I also suspect
    that each drive now probably has a primary partition marked as active -
    which can cause considerable confusion for the system during a boot.

    Calvin.

    Calvin, Jun 10, 2006