    deluxe have you tried it on one of yours? any problems anybody?
    i will post the rest of the vista questions to the vista newsgroup if i
    find them again :)
    warpsix, Jun 9, 2006

  2. It will not disturb your x64 installation and when Vista is installed you
    will get a boot options screen that permits you to choose which OS to boot
    into. Vista will be the default until you change it back to x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Careful - wipe C drive will screw up ntloader.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Don't "wipe" C: drive - you'll regret it. But _do_ clean it up, delete all
    the windows directories that are on it. That's \windows, \program files and
    \documents and settings and their subfolders. If you wipe it (as in format
    it), you'll lose your boot files and not be able to get into XP x64 without
    some pain.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2006
  5. warpsix

    Jane C Guest

    I now have that pain to alleviate ;o) Silly me....forgot to back up my
    ntloader and boot.ini from my C drive before zapping it and installing Vista
    there..........my braincell was definitely on vacation ;)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;)

    Jane C, Jun 9, 2006
  6. well i did that before seeing other responces and now i can not boot into
    xp64 bit
    the only operating system vista see's is vista there is no other operating
    system.
    i take it that there is not an easy fix for this i have tried the vista cd
    recovery(install driver) but it never shows x64 and i have tried the
    fixboot/fixmbr on the xp x64 cd please tell me there is a way to get back to
    my x64 the wife keeps giving me the "look" looks like the dog house for me
    tonight
    p.s. vista works fine except internet explorer uses 100% cpu but firefox
    works fine

    =?Utf-8?B?d2FycHNpeA==?=, Jun 9, 2006
  7. warpsix

    John Barnes Guest

    You can make the x64 partition your system drive, (active partition on first
    drive in boot order) Then install your ntldr ntdetect.com from the x64 cd
    and make a boot.ini from the Recovery console using bootcfg /rebuild -
    Should work unless Vista changes the MBR in a new manner. Fixmbr should fix
    that 'if' necessary.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2006
  8. The required steps to fix this include either doing a repair install of XP
    x64, and then repairing the Vista install. Or using bcdedit and restoring
    your ntldr files. Both of which are fairly painful.

    I don't have time to write this up before next week. I'm sorry, but I'm
    buried on a couple of projects and just can't do it right now.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Charlie,

    What's the equivalent of the F6 trick to get Vista to install using the
    NForce 4 SATA RAID drivers? I have the NForce Vista 64 bit beta drivers from
    the NVidia website. If I start the install from the boot DVD, there's no
    option to install extra drivers. If I start the DVD from within Win XP x64,
    it shows the little disk icon and I can install the SATA RAID drivers from
    the floppy. Unfortunately, after the system reboots, the install stops with
    an error that says "can't find your hard disks". Then it backs out of the
    install.

    Jay

    =?Utf-8?B?amFibG9vbWYxMjMw?=, Jun 10, 2006
  10. You should see a "Load Drivers" button on the screen. You do not have to
    hit a hotkey and, unlike previous versions, you can take your time looking
    for it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 10, 2006
  11. Colin,

    No, I did the load the RAID drivers.

    I'm trying again and now the install is working after the first reboot
    (Yay!!). The problem is that the Vista Beta 2 NForce x64package found on
    NVidia's FTP site, does not work properly. I should have been more thorough
    with Google. Guru of 3D and a bunch of other sites have a remix of the NForce
    4 9.34 x64 driver package that supposedly does work and I'm trying that now.

    BTW, NVidia did the same thing when Win XP x64 first came out. The first
    version of the NForce x64 chipset driver was missing key files. I forgot all
    about that.

    Jay

    =?Utf-8?B?amFibG9vbWYxMjMw?=, Jun 10, 2006
  12. warpsix

    warpsix Guest

    warpsix wrote:
    > well i did that before seeing other responces and now i can not boot into
    > xp64 bit
    > the only operating system vista see's is vista there is no other operating
    > system.
    > i take it that there is not an easy fix for this i have tried the vista cd
    > recovery(install driver) but it never shows x64 and i have tried the
    > fixboot/fixmbr on the xp x64 cd please tell me there is a way to get back to
    > my x64 the wife keeps giving me the "look" looks like the dog house for me
    > tonight
    > p.s. vista works fine except internet explorer uses 100% cpu but firefox
    > works fine
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> It will not disturb your x64 installation and when Vista is installed you
    >> will get a boot options screen that permits you to choose which OS to boot
    >> into. Vista will be the default until you change it back to x64.
    >>
    >> "warpsix" <> wrote in message
    >>> I downloaded the vista 32bit and i want to place it on the c drive (ide
    >>> ,was win xp pro) i have the windows xp x64bit edition on the sata drive, d
    >>> (my default booting os)
    >>> i would link to know if i wipe my c drive and install vista is it going to
    >>> mess up my booting to the x64
    >>> and if Charlie Russel is around i am installing vista on the asus a8v
    >>> deluxe have you tried it on one of yours? any problems anybody?
    >>> i will post the rest of the vista questions to the vista newsgroup if i
    >>> find them again :)

    Playing with bleeding edge and you get bloody
    I went ahead and reformatted everything
    so any idea what i did wrong . should i have started the install from
    x64? or starting from boot with the cd, that wasn't the way to go for me.
    warpsix, Jun 10, 2006
  13. Vista x86 and x64 will both install from the XP Pro x64 desktop or by
    booting from the dvd. Just make sure that you do not try to install Vista
    to the same folder as XP.

    I suspect that the users who post here and are testing Vista have (as I do)
    XP Pro x64 installed in one partition and one or more versions of Vista
    installed on other partitions. I suggest that you get XP Pro x64
    reinstalled and go from there since you will have problems if you set up
    Vista first and then try to install XP Pro x64 last.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 10, 2006
  14. Gee, nvidia having problems with their drivers/software? I'm shocked, do you
    hear me, Shocked.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 10, 2006
  15. And keep in mind that Vista _will_ be on C: drive, regardless of where it
    is, so if you don't want drive letters moving around, I recommend installing
    XP x64 onto D: drive and leave C: blank for Vista.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 10, 2006
  16. bitter, bitter, bitter....

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 10, 2006
  17. Not bitter - just glad I'm not dependent on them to get my machine working
    correctly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 10, 2006
  18. warpsix

    John John Guest

    Hi Charlie,

    Will the other operating system retain it's installation drive letter
    when you boot it? Is the Vista loader toggling the active flag or does
    it change it permanently?

    John

    John John, Jun 10, 2006
  19. It may depend on which system is booted as to what drive letters have been
    assigned. Don't be confused by that. You will see the same drive
    assignments in XP Pro x64 that you have now when x64 is booted but the same
    partitions may have different assignments when you boot into Vista. It is
    pretty normal and not harmful.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 10, 2006
  20. warpsix

    John John Guest

    Hi Colin,

    Thanks for the reply. I understand the mounted device order as handled
    by the Mount Manager and established when Windows is installed, that is
    recorded in the registry.

    It's just that I am now surprised that after only about 30 years
    Microsoft has figured out how to make a Boot Manager toggle the active
    partition... amazing! Funny others didn't think about that sooner.

    John

    John John, Jun 10, 2006