    it. Any thoughts?

    --
    Victor

    Vic, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Vic

    Guest

    "Vic" <> wrote:

    |>My question pertains what would the instructions be is the copy of WinXP was
    |>already installed and I added a second drive so that I could boot 98 off it.
    |>On this particular system it would be very difficult to install 98 first
    |>because it uses the recovery partition in recovery XP instead of installing
    |>it. Any thoughts?

    Win98 must be run from C: drive, otherwise it takes a bit of work
    Google for it. one hit http://www.winxpfix.com/page5.htm

    I've multi booted Win98, W2K and Xp, and it's always easiest and
    fastest to install them in that order.

    --
    MySpace.com exploit serves up adware thru videos
    http://chaseandsam.com/

    , Jul 17, 2006

  3. Vic

    Guest

    Vic wrote:
    > My question pertains what would the instructions be is the copy of WinXP was
    > already installed and I added a second drive so that I could boot 98 off it.
    > On this particular system it would be very difficult to install 98 first
    > because it uses the recovery partition in recovery XP instead of installing
    > it. Any thoughts?
    >
    > --
    > Victor

    Just a general note. To make this easy Windows 98 must be installed
    first. Then Windows XP can be installed 2nd (hopefully on another
    drive or partition).

    If it can be done in this order it is fairly straight forward. If XP
    is installed first (as seems is the case here), it is much more
    difficult (but not impossible).

    I will be publishing an article or two on my site and this will be my
    first topic (multi-booting differnt OS's). I will also publish other
    support tips:

    Gordon Henderson

    http://www.freehelpdesk.co.uk
    http://freehelpdesk.myby.co.uk

    , Jul 17, 2006
  4. Vic

    ? Guest

    <snip>

    > PS: It's your lucky day. I'll be off to China for three weeks in a few
    > hours.

    You bragging or complaining?

    Your sorry arse sure won't be missed.....

    ?, Jul 17, 2006

    You can **** right off and die now.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
    just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
    where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 17, 2006
  6. Vic

    Dingus Guest

    "Vic" <> wrote in message
    | My question pertains what would the instructions be is the copy of
    WinXP was
    | already installed and I added a second drive so that I could boot 98
    off it.
    | On this particular system it would be very difficult to install 98
    first
    | because it uses the recovery partition in recovery XP instead of
    installing
    | it. Any thoughts?
    |
    | --
    | Victor

    Consider not doing this, for the simple fact that it almost always
    creates problems for one or the other OS or for both. Buy second
    machine and install Win 98. The Good Will close to me sales old PC's
    for $20 and they work too.

    --
    Dingus says:
    Routinely Run - Disk Cleanup,

    Dingus, Jul 17, 2006
  7. Vic

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Dingus wrote:
    > "Vic" <> wrote in message
    >> My question pertains what would the instructions be is the copy of
    >> WinXP was already installed and I added a second drive so that I
    >> could boot 98 off it. On this particular system it would be very
    >> difficult to install 98 first because it uses the recovery partition
    >> in recovery XP instead of installing it. Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Victor
    >>

    > Consider not doing this, for the simple fact that it almost always
    > creates problems for one or the other OS or for both. Buy second
    > machine and install Win 98. The Good Will close to me sales old PC's
    > for $20 and they work too.

    Shit, I'd send him one (or even two) for the cost of UPS shipping. I just
    dumped 14 old PII and AMD K6 systems on someone who had an SUV big enough to
    haul 'em all off at the same time <g>!

    Toolman Tim, Jul 17, 2006
  8. On 17 Jul 2006 18:26:08 +0200, in alt.os.windows-xp "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    <> wrote:

    |? wrote:
    |> <snip>
    |>
    |>> PS: It's your lucky day. I'll be off to China for three weeks in a
    |>> few hours.
    |>
    |> You bragging or complaining?
    |>
    |> Your sorry arse sure won't be missed.....
    |
    |You can **** right off and die now.

    Your wishes are everyone's commands, Don.

    Teh White Recluse, Jul 18, 2006
  9. Teh White Recluse wrote:
    > On 17 Jul 2006 18:26:08 +0200, in alt.os.windows-xp "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> ? wrote:
    >>> <snip>

    >>> You bragging or complaining?
    >>>
    >>> Your sorry arse sure won't be missed.....

    >> You can **** right off and die now.

    > Your wishes are everyone's commands, Don.

    <laughing> Be sure to tell him when he gets back.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 18, 2006
  10. On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:11:04 -0400, in alt.os.windows-xp "Rhonda Lea
    Kirk" <> wrote:

    |Teh White Recluse wrote:
    |> On 17 Jul 2006 18:26:08 +0200, in alt.os.windows-xp "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    |> <> wrote:

    |>> You can **** right off and die now.
    |>
    |> Your wishes are everyone's commands, Don.
    |
    |<laughing> Be sure to tell him when he gets back.

    I always do n00b.

    Teh White Recluse, Jul 18, 2006
  11. Dear Victor,

    One thing you have to be aware of is that Windows98 will only install on a
    primary partition on your first hard drive. You have to buy a Program like
    Partition Magic 8 ( PowerQuest has been bought by Norton(symantec
    corporation) Once installed I don't know if it will run if you reassign the
    drive to say primary slave, as I have never tried this. It might if all
    other primary partitions are hidden. This is why it is easier to install
    Windows 98 first, then Windows XP. You can look up microsoft articles on
    using the NT boot manager for dual/triple booting.

    One other thing you should be aware of is that NT systems like Windows 2000,
    and Windows XP use dynamic drive management( In Windows XP right click on My
    Computer and select Manage from the context menu. Then select Disk
    Management. Note that you cannot change the Drive letter of the boot or
    system partition.

    By the way one boot manager I would highly recommend is Smart Boot Manager.
    This program is so small it entirely fits on the boot sector of a floppy
    disk, and once you have it on a floppy disk you can boot any partition that
    is bootable. Also you can install it as the MBR on any harddrive from a
    floppy disk with it in the boot sector. It uses no files on any partitions;
    you configure it at startup; you do not have to boot up in any particular
    operating system. In fact this program is so useful it is an essential part
    of my rescue kit.

    Another good boot manager is XOSL (prettier thanSBM), whish is entirely
    configurable at bootup by mouse or keyboard, but does need files on at least
    one partition. it can be installed to include PTRanishe's PartitionManager
    as well, which may be useful.

    Both XOSL, and Smart Boot Manager are I think free under the GNU license,
    which is another very good thing.

    William Foster, Jul 18, 2006
  12. Vic

    Margolotta Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:44:51 +0100, William Foster wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Dear Victor,
    >
    > One thing you have to be aware of is that Windows98 will only install on a
    > primary partition on your first hard drive.

    Bullshit. I've had it running on a primary partition on a secondary drive and
    a secondary partition on a primary drive.

    >You have to buy a Program like Partition Magic 8

    Er, no, you don't. I've never used it for dual booting.

    ( PowerQuest has been bought by Norton(symantec
    > corporation) Once installed I don't know if it will run if you reassign the
    > drive to say primary slave, as I have never tried this. It might if all
    > other primary partitions are hidden.

    If all primary partitions are hidden, then how's the computer going to load
    the OS, genius?

    This is why it is easier to install
    > Windows 98 first, then Windows XP.

    Again, this is pure, unadulterated BS. It's very easy to install 98 *AFTER*
    XP, in fact, that's my preferred method.

    You can look up microsoft articles on
    > using the NT boot manager for dual/triple booting.
    >
    > One other thing you should be aware of is that NT systems like Windows 2000,
    > and Windows XP use dynamic drive management( In Windows XP right click on My
    > Computer and select Manage from the context menu. Then select Disk
    > Management. Note that you cannot change the Drive letter of the boot or
    > system partition.

    WOW!! Give the boy a cookie! He's actually got something right! Actually,
    there are methods whereby one *CAN* change the letter of the boot drive, but
    I don't see why one would want to as it'll only lead to grief.

    > By the way one boot manager I would highly recommend is Smart Boot Manager.
    > This program is so small it entirely fits on the boot sector of a floppy
    > disk, and once you have it on a floppy disk you can boot any partition that
    > is bootable. Also you can install it as the MBR on any harddrive from a
    > floppy disk with it in the boot sector. It uses no files on any partitions;
    > you configure it at startup; you do not have to boot up in any particular
    > operating system. In fact this program is so useful it is an essential part
    > of my rescue kit.

    I've never used a 3rd-party boot manager in my life and cannot see the need
    to recommend one.

    Margolotta, Jul 18, 2006
  13. Vic

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:12:33 -0500, remote cuntroll wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Dual booting WinXP and Win98
    > From: remote cuntroll <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:12:33 -0500
    >
    > Margolotta wrote:
    >>
    >> Bullshit.

    > Yup, everything poasted by margoslutta is bullshit. Ya know, that is the
    > way you should preface every poast you make since it's true.

    Better not let your virtual girlfriend Mara catch you replying to evul
    trolls, she'll bin you.

    > > I've had it running on a primary partition on a secondary drive and
    >> a secondary partition on a primary drive.
    >>
    >>>You have to buy a Program like Partition Magic 8

    >> Er, no, you don't. I've never used it for dual booting.

    > Yes, and since she's never used it., she must know what she is talking
    > about then.
    >

    >> Again, this is pure, unadulterated BS.

    > At least you are being honest about yourself and your poasts!

    Too bad we can't say the same for you.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 19, 2006