    What do I need to do to get the option?

    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Jeremy

    John Barnes Guest

    Make sure that your system drive %systemroot% has the x64 ntldr NTDETECT.com
    and boot.ini on it
    You can probably solve this by making the drive with x64 on it the first HD
    in your boot order.

    John Barnes, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    The drive with 64bit installed on it isn't one of the choices... *sigh*
    Why can't this ever be easy?

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Jeremy

    John Barnes Guest

    Also, since you only had the one drive when you installed x64, you will need
    to add the other system to your boot.ini either from System Properties or
    using the Recovery Console

    John Barnes, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Jeremy

    John Barnes Guest

    Then, boot to x86, copy the files from the x64 install to the x86 drive
    after moving the old files into a new folder to save them. Fix the boot.ini
    to show the two systems as recommended above. System Properties or Recovery
    Console (easiest if you aren't comfortable with modifying the boot.ini with
    notepad)

    John Barnes, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    1. What's the syntax to combine the boot.ini file?
    2. Once I combine the 2, do I use it as the .ini file for both driveS?

    Here is what is in my 32 bit file:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

    Here is what's in the 64 bit file:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=1
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    Thanks again,
    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Jeremy

    honjo Guest

    You have two options:

    1) Install WXP x86 then WXP x64 as other poster already suggested.
    2) Get hard a disk utility such as Partition Magic 8, create a new
    primary partition, and install WXP x64 there.
    If you opted for 2), switching between WXP x86 and WXP x64 can be done
    using "PQBoot for Windows" , utility which comes with Partition Magic.

    Kaz

    honjo, Sep 17, 2005
  8. Jeremy

    honjo Guest

    The following will fix the problem:

    Note that assumption here is that WXP x86 is installed in the Primary
    Master HD and WXP x64 is in the Primary Slave HD.

    1) Boot to WXP x86(32Bit) and replace ntldr and NTDETECT.COM with those
    in WXP x64 CDROM.

    2) Modify boot.ini as follows:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional

    honjo, Sep 17, 2005
  9. Jeremy

    Ian Guest

    Don't worry - you did it right - I always unplug the drive
    with the first OS on it before installing the second - this way
    both run installed "on and as" C:\
    Just fix the boot.ini like "honjo" says and if that doesn't work
    you will have to do a bit of research based on how your drives
    are connected.
    You'll have to learn what all this gobble - d - goop actually means.

    Ian, Sep 17, 2005
  10. Jeremy wrote:
    > The drive with 64bit installed on it isn't one of the choices... *sigh*
    > Why can't this ever be easy?

    Actually, it would have been "easy" -- entirely automatic, in fact --
    if you hadn't disconnected the other hard drive before installing WinXPx64.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Sep 17, 2005
  11. Jeremy wrote:
    > I have a machine with XP Pro 32 bit installed. I bought a new hard
    > drive and installed XP64 on it. I unplugged the drive with XP 32 bit on
    > it during the installation. Now when I boot up, I don't get the choice
    > of which OS to start up in.
    >
    > What do I need to do to get the option?

    Reinstall WinXPx64 with both hard drives connected.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Sep 17, 2005
  12. Jeremy

    honjo Guest

    If you are going to switch between these OSes only once in a while, then
    changing the boot order by BIOS setting may be acceptable solution.
    This solution has a distict advantage over that by editing boot.ini:
    That is that drive name of C: is always assinged to the partition where
    the OS resides regardress of which one to boot.

    Kaz

    honjo, Sep 17, 2005
  13. Jeremy

    John Barnes Guest

    This is not accurate. The drive letter is assigned at install time but
    since he has installed both with only one drive attached, he should have C
    for both drives, regardless of which is the system drive.

    John Barnes, Sep 18, 2005
  14. Jeremy

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't know where you are since I have been away, and you haven't posted.
    The boot.ini from honjo should work. If it doesn't, repost and someone will
    give you the instructions to use Recovery Console to create a boot.ini which
    know where your Windows partitions are.

    John Barnes, Sep 18, 2005
  15. Jeremy

    honjo Guest

    I do not know what statement in my post is inaccurate.
    It is true that the solution by editing the boot.ini file as in my first
    post, means the OS drive may or may not be C: even though C: was
    assigned to each os when they were installed in the way as the original
    poster described.

    Kaz

    honjo, Sep 18, 2005