    version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    John, Oct 3, 2009

  2. John

    thingy Guest

    On Oct 4, 7:49 am, John <> wrot
    > Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    > Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    > version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    > I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    > driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    Odd.....Ive found Vista 64 bit virtually no issue, and I'd expect win7
    to be even better....I dont suppose its a HP printer? (I would be so
    surprised....not).

    I suppose the obvious legal way is to run something like Vmware inside
    win7 64 bit with a linux print server appliance and connect to it to
    print but may not be that easy to do......Also there was something
    about running Xp on/inside win7...?.

    Ive not really looked at win7 yet...

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Oct 3, 2009

  3. On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 07:49:08 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    >Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    >version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    >I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    >driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    I am not a lawyer, and I do not have a copy of the Win7 EULA to check.
    But if it is the same as Vista, then if you have bought a version of
    Win7 that has both 32 and 64 bit versions on the DVD, then you should
    be able to install both on the same PC without any problems. Some
    licenses for Vista only came with 32 bit versions on the DVD - if it
    is like that, then I do not think you are licensed for the 64 bit
    version, even if you could get a 64 bit install image. And vice
    versus.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 4, 2009
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:14:07 -0700 (PDT), thingy wrote:

    > On Oct 4, 7:49 am, John <> wrot
    >> Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    >> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    >> version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    >> I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    >> driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    > Odd.....Ive found Vista 64 bit virtually no issue, and I'd expect win7
    > to be even better....I dont suppose its a HP printer? (I would be so
    > surprised....not).

    Canon LBP5100 - no 64-bit driver to be issued according to Canon.

    > I suppose the obvious legal way is to run something like Vmware inside
    > win7 64 bit with a linux print server appliance and connect to it to
    > print but may not be that easy to do......Also there was something
    > about running Xp on/inside win7...?.

    As far as I can ascertain Windows 7 comes with "XP Mode" which should
    get around the software problem but at this stage I don't know about
    hardware. Things should become clearer in the next few weeks
    hopefully:)

    John, Oct 4, 2009
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 13:20:43 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 07:49:08 +1300, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    >>Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    >>version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    >>I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    >>driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    > I am not a lawyer, and I do not have a copy of the Win7 EULA to check.
    > But if it is the same as Vista, then if you have bought a version of
    > Win7 that has both 32 and 64 bit versions on the DVD, then you should
    > be able to install both on the same PC without any problems. Some
    > licenses for Vista only came with 32 bit versions on the DVD - if it
    > is like that, then I do not think you are licensed for the 64 bit
    > version, even if you could get a 64 bit install image. And vice
    > versus.

    I've been told that the retail version comes with both 32 and 64-bit
    versions, whereas the oem versions are either 32-bit or 64-bit. How
    true this is I've yet to find out.

    John, Oct 4, 2009
  6. John

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 07:49:08 +1300, John wrote:

    > Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    > Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    > version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    > I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    > driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    It's a pity That all versions of Microsoft Windows will only install onto a "C: Drive", and that Microsoft
    Windows has no ability to cope with living on any other partition.

    Carnations, Oct 4, 2009
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 14:46:26 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >> Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    >> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    >> version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    >> I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    >> driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    > Yes you can. But sounds a pain just do that for a printer and software.

    I could live without the software involved but it would break my heart
    to loose the Canon, just love the auto duplex.

    > Download Virtual PC and install the 32bit version there. At least that
    > way you wont need to reboot all the time.
    >
    > XP Mode will probably work as well, that is exactly what it is designed
    > for. For legacy software.

    You're right, it would make things easier, just have to do some more
    homework.

    John, Oct 4, 2009
  8. John

    victor Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 07:49:08 +1300, John wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    >> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    >> version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    >> I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    >> driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    > It's a pity That all versions of Microsoft Windows will only install onto a "C: Drive", and that Microsoft
    > Windows has no ability to cope with living on any other partition.

    Its a pity you don't check your info out before you open your gob.

    http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=running windows from&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

    victor, Oct 4, 2009
  9. John

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 16:12:04 +1300, victor wrote:

    >> It's a pity That all versions of Microsoft Windows will only install
    >> onto a "C: Drive", and that Microsoft Windows has no ability to cope
    >> with living on any other partition.
    >>

    > Its a pity you don't check your info out before you open your gob.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=running windows

    +from&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

    It's a pity your google search didn't throw up anything relevant to installing Windows on anything other
    than a C: drive (ie like booting into Windows in a different partition!!)

    Carnations, Oct 4, 2009
  10. John

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-10-03, John <> wrote:
    > Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    > Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    > version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    > I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    > driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ELUA eh?

    aplogies to BABYMASH

    Gordon, Oct 4, 2009
  11. John

    victor Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 16:12:04 +1300, victor wrote:
    >
    >>> It's a pity That all versions of Microsoft Windows will only install
    >>> onto a "C: Drive", and that Microsoft Windows has no ability to cope
    >>> with living on any other partition.
    >>>

    >> Its a pity you don't check your info out before you open your gob.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=running windows

    > +from&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10
    >
    > It's a pity your google search didn't throw up anything relevant to installing Windows on anything other
    > than a C: drive (ie like booting into Windows in a different partition!!)

    C: is an internal drive mapping, not a partition.

    victor, Oct 4, 2009
  12. John

    Richard Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    > It's a pity That all versions of Microsoft Windows will only install onto a "C: Drive", and that Microsoft
    > Windows has no ability to cope with living on any other partition.

    Eh? Mine is on an E: ok because I had an IDE drive in the machine when I
    installed it and that was the C at the time.

    Richard, Oct 4, 2009
  13. John

    John Guest

    On 4 Oct 2009 04:31:45 GMT, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-10-03, John <> wrote:
    >> Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    >> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    >> version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    >> I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    >> driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    > READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ELUA eh?
    >
    > aplogies to BABYMASH

    If I had one maybe I would.

    John, Oct 4, 2009
  14. John

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 18:43:51 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> It's a pity That all versions of Microsoft Windows will only install
    >> onto a "C: Drive", and that Microsoft Windows has no ability to cope
    >> with living on any other partition.

    > Eh? Mine is on an E: ok because I had an IDE drive in the machine when I
    > installed it and that was the C at the time.

    And in what way are you dual booting it?

    Carnations, Oct 4, 2009
  15. John

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 18:32:41 +1300, victor wrote:

    >> It's a pity your google search didn't throw up anything relevant to
    >> installing Windows on anything other than a C: drive (ie like booting
    >> into Windows in a different partition!!)

    > C: is an internal drive mapping, not a partition.

    Does Microsoft Windows understand the difference?

    Carnations, Oct 4, 2009
  16. John

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 18:32:41 +1300, victor wrote:
    >
    >>> It's a pity your google search didn't throw up anything relevant to
    >>> installing Windows on anything other than a C: drive (ie like booting
    >>> into Windows in a different partition!!)

    >> C: is an internal drive mapping, not a partition.

    > Does Microsoft Windows understand the difference?

    I don't believe that you do, Lennier.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 4, 2009
  17. John

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:06:31 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >>> C: is an internal drive mapping, not a partition.

    >> Does Microsoft Windows understand the difference?
    >>

    > I don't believe that you do, Lennier.

    Linux machines don't use drive letters to mount partitions, Cliffy.

    Carnations, Oct 4, 2009
  18. John

    PeeCee Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    > Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    > version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    > I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    > driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    John

    AFAIK when the media has both 32 and 64 bit versions and only one key then
    you may choose 'either' but not both.
    i.e. you have a license key for 'one' copy of the OS.
    MS is happy for you to choose between 32 or 64 as you fancy, but once you
    have installed one (say 32bit) you can not then install the 64bit with the
    same key and have it activate.

    When the manufacturer of a printer doesn't produce a driver for newer OS's
    it usually means there is a basic driver built into the new OS by Microsoft.
    So you may be good to go with Win 7 64bit and your Canon LBP5100.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 4, 2009
  19. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:28:18 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there any reason (legal or technical) stopping me from dual booting
    >> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, using one copy of the retail
    >> version of Windows 7 Home Premium?
    >> I would like to use the 64-bit version but have both hardware (printer
    >> driver)and software that won't work on the 64-bit version.

    > John
    >
    > AFAIK when the media has both 32 and 64 bit versions and only one key then
    > you may choose 'either' but not both.
    > i.e. you have a license key for 'one' copy of the OS.
    > MS is happy for you to choose between 32 or 64 as you fancy, but once you
    > have installed one (say 32bit) you can not then install the 64bit with the
    > same key and have it activate.

    I suspected that this might be the case, thanks for the information.

    > When the manufacturer of a printer doesn't produce a driver for newer OS's
    > it usually means there is a basic driver built into the new OS by Microsoft.
    > So you may be good to go with Win 7 64bit and your Canon LBP5100.

    Fingers crossed that this might be the case.

    John, Oct 4, 2009
  20. John

    EMB Guest

    John wrote:

    >> When the manufacturer of a printer doesn't produce a driver for newer OS's
    >> it usually means there is a basic driver built into the new OS by Microsoft.
    >> So you may be good to go with Win 7 64bit and your Canon LBP5100.

    > Fingers crossed that this might be the case.

    It may also be worth trying the 64-bit driver for the LBP5050.

    EMB, Oct 4, 2009