    setup. Would I need any software to use a dual boot system? It`s not
    something I`ve had to consider before.
    TIA
    sambucus, May 20, 2007

  2. sambucus

    old man Guest

    You cannot install winxp on an external drive

    You might want to first determine whether you actually have problems with
    your apps, and whether the manu have posted any updates

    "sambucus" <> wrote in message
    > I`m getting a new machine that comes with Vista Home Premium. The general
    > opinion seems to be that there are compatability probs with some apps and
    > games so I was considering a dual boot system. Googled a query and most
    > recommend this but all advise a partition on the HD.
    > Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using an external HD for XP? I`ve

    got
    > a full XP disc and a 120gb drive so I thought I could use these. Also,

    could

    old man, May 20, 2007

  3. sambucus

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "sambucus" <> wrote in message
    > I`m getting a new machine that comes with Vista Home Premium. The general
    > opinion seems to be that there are compatability probs with some apps and
    > games so I was considering a dual boot system. Googled a query and most
    > recommend this but all advise a partition on the HD.
    > Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using an external HD for XP?

    Besides the fact that it won't work?

    > I`ve got
    > a full XP disc and a 120gb drive so I thought I could use these. Also,
    > could
    > anyone recommend a site that might walk a non techie pensioner through the
    > setup. Would I need any software to use a dual boot system?

    First you have to consider drivers. Make sure you can get all the hardware
    drivers needed for XP. Second, you have to install XP FIRST in order for a
    dual-boot to work. THEN you can install Vista afterwards. You really want to
    do all that?

    > It`s not
    > something I`ve had to consider before.
    > TIA

    Better: Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (run XP in a window).
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

    I use this to connect to my office VPN and play a few games that aren't
    compatible with Vista. I'd suggest you set up the file sharing (works like a
    network drive) and keep your documents in the Vista partition - that way
    your documents are accessible to both Vista and XP.
    WhzzKdd, May 20, 2007