    Cheers
    Neil
    , Feb 26, 2007

  2. Aaron Kelley Guest

    You will have to do some extra work to fix Vista's boot if you do this.
    (You're supposed to install older OS's first so that you do not have this
    problem.) I believe all you'll have to do is boot the Vista DVD and choose
    "Repair" (or whatever) from the first menu you get and it will do it for
    you, but I have not done this myself.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Guest

    Thanks Aaron,

    can you just clarify that with Vista installed, I install XP on a
    separate drive, and the boot Vista from the CD and repair?

    Cheers
    Neil
    , Feb 27, 2007
  4. Aaron Kelley Guest

    Right. When you install XP, it will break Vista's boot loader. The Vista
    DVD should immediately detect this and offer to fix it when you click on the
    "Repair my computer" (or some similar) option at the first menu.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 27, 2007
  5. Marty Felker Guest

    Intall XP first follwed by Vista. XP will be in the first partition on your
    HD and will live in Drive C: Install Vista in the second partition during
    install - leave the second freespace during Vista install - don't use the
    Vista Bootloader. If you do you could experience file corruption if you
    share files between XP and Vista (which will also think its on the C: drive.
    Go to Control Panel - Admin - Disk Management and make sure in both XP and
    Vista that they don't see the other OS by removing drive letter D:

    This works for me quite well. As allows do backups and/or imaging.

    Marty Felker, Mar 2, 2007