dual booting vist rc1 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?c21hc2g=?=, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. i just downloaded window vista rc1 x64, it took 6 hrs on a dsl connection. I
    have dual

    booted in the past verison of windows vista beta 2, and i have not had any
    problems with he

    vista boot loadeder. that is until i went to dual boot xp pro and rc 1 x64,
    i dont get the

    boot loader for vista. I can install it on a clean hd and it works fine,
    but that mean i

    have to switch drives all the time...

    and i downloaded and installed vistabootpro 2.1 beta and i cannot get that
    to work. And

    when i run msconfig in xp pro i dont have the bootini tab. so i would like a
    little more

    info and help on this matter.

    I tryed installing a the 5342 buil that i have and it does the same thing?

    i have 2 hard drives, a 160gig sata and a 200gig eide drive and im booting
    xp off the sata

    drive. and my bios is showing that it is the 3rd master and the 200gig is
    1st master would

    that have something to do with it?

    also i have a linksys 100tx nic and i cant find 64 bit drivers for it, and
    ideas?

    thanks for all those that replay.

    --
    lost in space101

    =?Utf-8?B?c21hc2g=?=, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Use VistaBoot Pro from either Vista or XP. It can fix the boot options
    menu.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 15, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c21hc2g=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean that VistaBootPro doesn't work. If you mean it
    won't install and run, try EasyBCD. Others have had the same problem. I'm
    not sure about your description. You say you have 2 drives and then
    describe 1st master and 3rd master.
    The basic procedure is that the partition that has the Vista boot files on
    it has to be your system partition (first in boot priority in BIOS and
    active), then you have to have a legacy entry in the Vista boot file (using
    VistaBootPro or EasyBCD). Then you have to have the ntldr ntdetect.com and
    boot.ini files from your XP install copied onto the partition that has the
    Vista boot file on it. Modify the boot.ini as necessary to point to the
    drive (disk, partition) that contains your xp system. You can start with the
    order that they are shown in Disk Management in your Vista system, but may
    have to try other options. You should be okay on the partition number, but
    the physical drive number may be different (only 0 or 1 if you have two
    physical drives)

    John Barnes, Sep 15, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c21hc2g=?=

    Guest

    On boards where the SATA can be set to either
    SATA or RAID in the BIOS and SATA is selected,
    the SATA drives are identified as #3 and #4.
    Since he has both, a regular IDE is identified
    as PATA IDE and the SATA is identified as a SATA
    IDE. If you look at the Device Manager you will
    see two sets of IDE channels listed vs the SATA
    being identified in the SCSI listing. So, the
    PATA IDE is 1st Master and the SATA IDE is
    identified as 3rd Master. There will not be any
    3rd or 4th Slave on the SATA IDE channels.

    John Barnes wrote:
    > I'm not sure what you mean that VistaBootPro doesn't work. If you mean it
    > won't install and run, try EasyBCD. Others have had the same problem. I'm
    > not sure about your description. You say you have 2 drives and then
    > describe 1st master and 3rd master.
    > The basic procedure is that the partition that has the Vista boot files on
    > it has to be your system partition (first in boot priority in BIOS and
    > active), then you have to have a legacy entry in the Vista boot file (using
    > VistaBootPro or EasyBCD). Then you have to have the ntldr ntdetect.com and
    > boot.ini files from your XP install copied onto the partition that has the
    > Vista boot file on it. Modify the boot.ini as necessary to point to the
    > drive (disk, partition) that contains your xp system. You can start with the
    > order that they are shown in Disk Management in your Vista system, but may
    > have to try other options. You should be okay on the partition number, but
    > the physical drive number may be different (only 0 or 1 if you have two
    > physical drives)
    >
    > "smash" <> wrote in message
    >> i just downloaded window vista rc1 x64, it took 6 hrs on a dsl connection.
    >> have dual
    >>
    >> booted in the past verison of windows vista beta 2, and i have not had any
    >> problems with he
    >>
    >> vista boot loadeder. that is until i went to dual boot xp pro and rc 1
    >> x64,
    >> i dont get the
    >>
    >> boot loader for vista. I can install it on a clean hd and it works fine,
    >> but that mean i
    >>
    >> have to switch drives all the time...
    >>
    >> and i downloaded and installed vistabootpro 2.1 beta and i cannot get that
    >> to work. And
    >>
    >> when i run msconfig in xp pro i dont have the bootini tab. so i would like
    >> little more
    >>
    >> info and help on this matter.
    >>
    >> I tryed installing a the 5342 buil that i have and it does the same thing?
    >>
    >> i have 2 hard drives, a 160gig sata and a 200gig eide drive and im booting
    >> xp off the sata
    >>
    >> drive. and my bios is showing that it is the 3rd master and the 200gig is
    >> 1st master would
    >>
    >> that have something to do with it?
    >>

    >> also i have a linksys 100tx nic and i cant find 64 bit drivers for it, and
    >> ideas?
    >>
    >> thanks for all those that replay.
    >>
    >> --
    >> lost in space101

    , Sep 15, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?c21hc2g=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Based on the info provided by i.am.not@home, your BIOS may require disk
    entries greater than 0,1 so you can try higher numbers if those don't work.

    John Barnes, Sep 15, 2006
  6. smash:

    Do yourself a favor and use a 3rd party boot manager. I use BootIt NG
    (with unlimited primaries option) and I have going on 10 different
    Windows OS's on a single big SATA drive, including XP Pro, XP x64, Vista
    x86, Vista x64. I have never had to even think about boot.ini or the
    vista boot loader. With this setup you can install or re-install the
    different OS's in any order, because each OS believes it is the only OS
    on the machine.

    David Wilkinson

    =========

    David Wilkinson, Sep 22, 2006