    JWilson Guest

    Is there any reason why two master drives with a toggle
    switch on the ide cable could not be used?
    JWilson, Dec 4, 2004

  2. JWilson

    Max Barwell Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:45:12 +1300, JWilson wrote:

    > Is there any reason why two master drives with a toggle
    > switch on the ide cable could not be used?

    None at all, that's what we did at AUT, with one of the drives being a
    removable case type drive, so students could share the comps, and also
    take the drives home, in this case though, slotting in the drive triggered
    the toggle, causing that drive to be the master, quite clever i thought.

    max
    Max Barwell, Dec 4, 2004

  3. JWilson

    Richard Guest

    JWilson wrote:

    > Is there any reason why two master drives with a toggle
    > switch on the ide cable could not be used?

    There are hardware solutions to do this with both switches on the jumper pins,
    and just turning off the drive you dont want to boot from

    There are also 3 way IDE selectors that you put into a drivebay. These have
    protection from being changed when the PC is running which the other solutions dont.
    Richard, Dec 4, 2004
  4. JWilson

    JWilson Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > JWilson wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any reason why two master drives with a toggle
    > > switch on the ide cable could not be used?

    > There are hardware solutions to do this with both switches on the jumper

    pins,
    > and just turning off the drive you dont want to boot from
    >
    > There are also 3 way IDE selectors that you put into a drivebay. These

    have
    > protection from being changed when the PC is running which the other

    solutions dont.

    Thankyou. I'll have a closer look at it moneywise. It seems to
    be a better option for us than dual booting.
    JWilson, Dec 4, 2004
  5. JWilson

    Ray Greene Guest

    Ray Greene, Dec 4, 2004
  6. JWilson

    thing Guest

    JWilson wrote:
    > Is there any reason why two master drives with a toggle
    > switch on the ide cable could not be used?

    I think there is at least one commercial product on the market that does
    this.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Dec 4, 2004
  7. JWilson

    MikeN Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:59:22 +1300, Max Barwell
    <maxbar@*nospam*xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:45:12 +1300, JWilson wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any reason why two master drives with a toggle
    >> switch on the ide cable could not be used?

    >None at all, that's what we did at AUT, with one of the drives being a
    >removable case type drive, so students could share the comps, and also
    >take the drives home, in this case though, slotting in the drive triggered
    >the toggle, causing that drive to be the master, quite clever i thought.
    >
    >max

    I've wired the selection pins on my two permanently installed hard
    drives to a front mounted 4PDT toggle switch - can switch to make
    either drive the master, the other drive becomes the slave.

    Didn't switch the IDE cable, just used the switch contacts to replace
    the master/slave jumpers

    cheers MikeN
    MikeN, Dec 8, 2004
  8. JWilson

    ufo Guest

    A safer option to have different drives with different operating systems in
    a PC is to use the removable harddrive trays.
    Have one tray for each operating system and simply insert the tray with the
    drive you want. Most people only consider these drives for data discs.
    This also allows for multiple configurations such as an operating system for
    games (kids) and one for work(me) using the same operating system.

    cheers
    ufo

    ufo, Dec 8, 2004