Dual Boot ???????

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by MadMax75th, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. MadMax75th

    MadMax75th Guest

    Hey,
    I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
    XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
    the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
    get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
    "+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
    happens! Is there a good program that I can install that will allow me
    to choose the HD I wish to boot to ? I have Partition Magic but it won't
    allow me to add a FAT32 partition on XP64, so I can add BOOT MAGIC.
    Thanks a lot for any help you may offer.
    Max

    PS- My XP64 is on an SATA DRIVE & the XP32 is on an IDE DRIVE, though
    they are supposed to work just fine together.

    --
    MadMax75th
    MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511

    http://forums.techarena.in
    MadMax75th, Jul 6, 2008

  2. MadMax75th

    Mick Murphy Guest

    http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    Have a read about VistaBootPRO.
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

    Mick Murphy, Jul 6, 2008

  3. VistaBootPro doesn't work on any version of XP. Read the
    information!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 6, 2008
  4. Oops!!

    I guess I'm the one that didn't read far enough!!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 6, 2008
  5. MadMax75th

    MadMax75th Guest

    MadMax75th, Jul 6, 2008
  6. See my blog from 2005...
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    This assumes you actually installed the XP 32-bit partition, however, rather
    than plugged one in that was installed on a different computer. That will
    almost never work well, since it needs to be installed to the hardware it's
    actually being used on.

    A better solution if you simply need access to a 32-bit version of XP from
    XP x64 on an occasional basis, or for a specific task/application is to use
    a virtual machine to run XP 32-bit. See
    https://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/03/29/88280.aspx for details.
    That assumes Virtual Server, since the Virtual PC version for 64-bit wasn't
    out yet, but the same basic solution works well for Virtual PC as well. And
    Virtual PC is probably a better solution for most XP users.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 6, 2008
  7. Just curious - would a 'Repair Install' to both systems work?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 6, 2008
  8. Colin Barnhorst, Jul 6, 2008
  9. MadMax75th

    thecreator Guest

    Hi Max,

    BootIt NG will dual-boot both Drives for you.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

    BootIT NG can create a seperate FAT partition on an NTFS Drive and it
    can be hidden.

    --
    thecreator

    thecreator, Jul 6, 2008
  10. Yes, true enough, although I see no paragraph concerning 'wrong order
    repairs' in that link (Charlies Blog). . ?

    But I had certainly visualized repairing in the right order. Repairing the
    XP version (after FDISK'ing and making that partition unbootable) would
    presumeably make it impossible to boot the machine from HD at all?

    Then repairing XP x64, would put everything back with the addition? Or???

    The obvious stumbling block, of course, is that initially you'll have two
    active boot-sectors and dual MBR's on different drives. I can see that there
    is no apparent reason why this should be corrected by a dual repair - but, I
    can also not see any apparent reason why it might not!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 6, 2008
  11. "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, true enough, although I see no paragraph concerning 'wrong order
    > repairs' in that link (Charlies Blog). . ?
    >
    > But I had certainly visualized repairing in the right order. Repairing the
    > XP version (after FDISK'ing and making that partition unbootable) would
    > presumeably make it impossible to boot the machine from HD at all?
    >
    > Then repairing XP x64, would put everything back with the addition? Or???
    >
    > The obvious stumbling block, of course, is that initially you'll have two
    > active boot-sectors and dual MBR's on different drives. I can see that
    > there
    > is no apparent reason why this should be corrected by a dual repair - but,
    > can also not see any apparent reason why it might not!
    >

    > Tony. . .
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    >> "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    >> > Just curious - would a 'Repair Install' to both systems work?
    >> >

    >> > Tony. . .
    >> >>

    >> It would be way overkill. See:
    >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx
    >> Especially the Repair option in the Wrong Order paragraph. That should
    >> be
    >> enough.

    Scroll down to the fifth major topic, "Wrong Order".
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 6, 2008
  12. "thecreator" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Max,
    >
    > BootIt NG will dual-boot both Drives for you.
    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm
    >
    > BootIT NG can create a seperate FAT partition on an NTFS Drive and it
    > can be hidden.
    >
    > --
    > thecreator
    >
    > "MadMax75th" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hey,
    >> I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
    >> XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
    >> the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
    >> get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
    >> "+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
    >> happens! Is there a good program that I can install that will allow me
    >> to choose the HD I wish to boot to ? I have Partition Magic but it won't
    >> allow me to add a FAT32 partition on XP64, so I can add BOOT MAGIC.
    >> Thanks a lot for any help you may offer.
    >> Max
    >>
    >> PS- My XP64 is on an SATA DRIVE & the XP32 is on an IDE DRIVE, though
    >> they are supposed to work just fine together.
    >>

    >> --
    >> MadMax75th
    >> MadMax75th's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=17511
    >> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=997018
    >>
    >> http://forums.techarena.in

    It isn't needed. He just has to copy a few files.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 6, 2008
  13. MadMax75th

    Andy Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:50:39 +0530, MadMax75th
    <> wrote:

    >Hey,
    >I recently added a second hard drive that had a fresh installation of
    >XP32 installed. My first HD has XP64 installed. It only wants to boot
    >the XP64 Drive. I was hoping to DUAL BOOT but when I go to BIOS I can't
    >get it to let me change Drive Priority. I am supposed to use the
    >"+"(PLUS) sign to raise or minus sign to lower priority but nothing
    >happens!

    Use the numeric keypad.

    The motherboard BIOS probably accepts a function key input during POST
    to override the default boot device.

    Edit the boot.ini on the XP64 disk, adding a line for XP32 (rdisk(1)).

    Andy, Jul 7, 2008
  14. MadMax75th

    piccolo Guest

    Re: Virtual Machine to run 32-bit software?

    I just bought a Dell Precision workstation with XP 64-bit only to discover
    that I have a lot of software that only runs on 32-bit (and no fixes are
    available). HP and Nikon are two companies that do not support 64-bit. So I
    just wrote a long post asking how difficult it is to install Windows XP 32
    over Windows XP 64.

    That gives you an idea of my level of technical competence (not great).

    But is it possible to run 32-bit software on my machine without installing a
    new OS? and, if yes, how? In the other message, you mention something called
    Virtual PC; what is that and where do I find it?

    Thanks in advance
    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo

    piccolo, Jul 8, 2008
  15. Re: Virtual Machine to run 32-bit software?

    You still need to install a second OS - and you need a license for it as
    well. I've already answered your other other query. Virtual PC is a product
    (free) from Microsoft. There are also third party virtualization solutions -
    VMWare being the biggest name in this area.

    HP, fwiw, does a pretty decent job of supporting 64-bit. I've had few
    problems finding drivers for my HP hardware. Of course, I'm pretty careful
    about what HP hardware I buy.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2008
  16. MadMax75th

    piccolo Guest

    Re: Virtual Machine to run 32-bit software?

    Thanks for the very prompt responses.

    However, I am also a bit confused about Virtual PC. Right after I posted the
    other two messages, I found Virtual PC on the Microsoft website. It is
    described as a free download that will enable one to run legacy systems on a
    new computer; what is not very clear is how one does it and what is required.
    Needless to say, we have several other computers running a mixture of Windows
    XP Home 32-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit, all with OEM licenses. You message
    seems to suggest that if I want to run Virtual PC on my 64-bit machine, I
    will need not only to download Virtual PC but also BUY a new version of
    Windows XP 32-bit. If that is true, it seems pretty disingenious of Microsoft
    to call Virtual PC "free".

    Since it frankly doesn't make much sense to write software that is designed
    to facilitate compatibility with legacy systems and then charge for an
    additional OS, I assume I have become confused and that either Virtual PC
    includes the legacy systems somehow OR one is able to load the designed
    secondary OSs from the original OEM disks without having a license violation.

    So, breaking my questions down into small pieces:
    1. would Virtual PC solve my problem of wanting to run legacy software on
    this 64-bit machine?
    2. do I have to buy a whole new Windows 32-bit OS or can I use the one from
    the legacy machine?
    3. which version of Virtual PC do I download in order to run Windows XP 32
    on a Windows XP 64 machine?

    Thanks In Advance

    As far as HP is concerned, I tried three different workarounds without
    success. My printer simply doesn't respond.

    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo

    piccolo, Jul 8, 2008
  17. Re: Virtual Machine to run 32-bit software?

    "piccolo" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the very prompt responses.
    >
    > However, I am also a bit confused about Virtual PC. Right after I posted
    > the
    > other two messages, I found Virtual PC on the Microsoft website. It is
    > described as a free download that will enable one to run legacy systems on
    > new computer; what is not very clear is how one does it and what is
    > required.
    > Needless to say, we have several other computers running a mixture of
    > Windows
    > XP Home 32-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit, all with OEM licenses. You
    > message
    > seems to suggest that if I want to run Virtual PC on my 64-bit machine, I
    > will need not only to download Virtual PC but also BUY a new version of
    > Windows XP 32-bit. If that is true, it seems pretty disingenious of
    > Microsoft
    > to call Virtual PC "free".
    >
    > Since it frankly doesn't make much sense to write software that is
    > designed
    > to facilitate compatibility with legacy systems and then charge for an
    > additional OS, I assume I have become confused and that either Virtual PC
    > includes the legacy systems somehow OR one is able to load the designed
    > secondary OSs from the original OEM disks without having a license
    > violation.
    >
    > So, breaking my questions down into small pieces:
    > 1. would Virtual PC solve my problem of wanting to run legacy software on
    > this 64-bit machine?
    > 2. do I have to buy a whole new Windows 32-bit OS or can I use the one
    > from
    > the legacy machine?
    > 3. which version of Virtual PC do I download in order to run Windows XP 32
    > on a Windows XP 64 machine?
    >
    > Thanks In Advance
    >
    > As far as HP is concerned, I tried three different workarounds without
    > success. My printer simply doesn't respond.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Piccolo

    1. Yes. Programs with special hardware requirements might not work (for
    example you can't burn dvds with the vm's emulated cd/dvd drive (it is read
    only). But, of course, you can always move files to the host and use the
    host to burn media.

    2. Yes. You must provide your own OS and remain in compliance with your
    licenses, OS and software.

    3. Download the x64 version because you are running it on an x64 host OS.
    It does not matter that you will be running 32bit guest virtual machines.

    You install an OS in a virtual machine just like you do a physical one. The
    purpose of a virtual machine is to behave like a physical one. Keep things
    simple and do things just like you always have. It is easy how to find the
    right buttons to do the same things you have learned to do.

    VPC is free program. You use it to create virtual machines for free. But
    that does not mean the OS that you want to use is free.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 8, 2008
  18. Re: Virtual Machine to run 32-bit software?

    1.) Yes. It won't solve hardware problems, but it can do a good job of
    running software that has issues.

    2.) You need an unencumbered OS license for each machine, virtual or
    physical, you run. Now if you had bought retail versions of Windows, and you
    retired the machine it ran on, then you'd be completely within your rights
    to run the retail copy of Windows on a virtual machine. But OEM software is
    far more restrictive (one reason the price is less) - you can only run it on
    the original hardware.

    3.) 64-bit. What matters is what version of OS your Host is running.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2008
  19. Re: Virtual Machine to run 32-bit software?

    "piccolo" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the very prompt responses.
    >
    > However, I am also a bit confused about Virtual PC. Right after I posted
    > the
    > other two messages, I found Virtual PC on the Microsoft website. It is
    > described as a free download that will enable one to run legacy systems on
    > new computer; what is not very clear is how one does it and what is
    > required.
    > Needless to say, we have several other computers running a mixture of
    > Windows
    > XP Home 32-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit, all with OEM licenses. You
    > message
    > seems to suggest that if I want to run Virtual PC on my 64-bit machine, I
    > will need not only to download Virtual PC but also BUY a new version of
    > Windows XP 32-bit. If that is true, it seems pretty disingenious of
    > Microsoft
    > to call Virtual PC "free".
    >
    > Since it frankly doesn't make much sense to write software that is
    > designed
    > to facilitate compatibility with legacy systems and then charge for an
    > additional OS, I assume I have become confused and that either Virtual PC
    > includes the legacy systems somehow OR one is able to load the designed
    > secondary OSs from the original OEM disks without having a license
    > violation.

    About OEM licenses. The consumer_oem eula does not permit transfer of the
    license to another device, and blades and partitions are defined as separate
    devices. Even within the same computer. A virtual machine partition is a
    separate device. Therefore the OEM license on the machine cannot be
    transferred to a vm even on the same machine. To do so would also leave the
    Host OS unlicensed anyway.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 9, 2008
  20. MadMax75th

    piccolo Guest

    Re: Virtual Machine to run 32-bit software?

    Charlie & Colin,

    Thanks for your responses. So, arguably, Virtual PC is not a free program
    but an excuse to sell another OS license? What did I expect?

    Moving on.... Since I have never installed an OS before, I have a few
    questions. I found what appears to be a pretty complete installation guide at
    http://vpc.essjae.com/#Virtual_PC_2004_for_Windows. But it raises some
    questions:

    1. NVWM memory: how much RAM should I specify is available to WinXP32? 3GB?
    (I have 8). I presume this memory is not subtracted from real memory but is
    just a limitaton on the VPC.
    2. I am going to want to enable at least one USB port on the virtual machine
    so I can use my existing HP printer/scanner/fax. This article seems to talk
    only of the physical parallel and serial ports. Are USB ports not functional?
    And/or am I better off finding a parallel printer cable and hooking the HP up
    that way?
    3. Partitioning: And I quote:

    "Use the arrow keys to select an option: Format the partition using NTFS
    file system (Quick), Format the partition using the FAT file system (Quick),
    Format the partition using NTFS file system, Format the partition using the
    FAT file system, or Convert the partition to NTFS. To install Windows XP on
    an NTFS partition, select Format the partition using the NTFS file system
    (Quick) and press Enter."

    What do I do? (Thanks) FWIW, I have three separate external hard drives
    (mostly used for backup) I could use if that made life easier.

    4. If I do not plan to use the Windows 32-bit OS to go on the Internet, am I
    correct that I need not enable Internet connectivity on the VPC?
    5. As a related question, am I correct in assuming that there would then be
    no need to worry about firewalls, anti-virus, automatic updates, etc., etc.?
    In fact, is there any reason to worry about upgrading whatever specific
    version of Windows XP 32 I buy to include the various service packs?
    6. The above questions assume that a virtual machine is a DIFFERENT machine
    for internet purposes than the host machine and that all of the firewalls,
    etc. on the host machine would not protect the virtual machine. Is this
    correct?
    7. Once I have the OS up and running, do I then have to install all the
    programs I want to run on it? Or can the VPC actually launch programs that
    sit on the hard drive of the host machine?

    I think that is it. Again, I want to thank both of you for your time and
    expertise.

    --
    Regards,

    Piccolo