Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Trevor BROOKES, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. Hi

    I have installed XP64 on a second disc which is a P ata,

    My Xp32 is installed on a Sata II, When I boot the xp32 my sata is C,
    and the XP64 disc is the G

    To boot the XP64 I have to change the bios setting and then my P ata
    xp64 become the C

    How do I get windows to give me a choice at boot start up
    If I add to my XP32 ini a second line :

    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    But this does not work as it gives me an error
    I tried changing the 'rdisk(0)' to 1 or even 2 but no luck as I suppose
    that it should stay on G ie for me the 2 disk

    can anyone help me on this please

    Thanks

    Trevor BROOKES, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Trevor BROOKES

    John Barnes Guest

    Use the recovery console and the bootcfg command to add your other drive.
    It will be detected properly. You need ntldr from the x64 install on your
    boot drive to be able to boot to x64. Suggest you copy from the x64 install
    to the x32 drive. You might also want to copy ntdetect.com for safety. I
    would make a folder and move the x32 files into it as a backup if anything
    goes wrong. You can use bootcfg /scan to see all your windows system and
    then bootcfg /add to add the one that isn't there, or bootcfg /rebuild .
    Don't forget the space between the command and parameters.

    John Barnes, Sep 26, 2005

  3. John Barnes a écrit :
    > Use the recovery console and the bootcfg command to add your other drive.
    > It will be detected properly. You need ntldr from the x64 install on your
    > boot drive to be able to boot to x64. Suggest you copy from the x64 install
    > to the x32 drive. You might also want to copy ntdetect.com for safety. I
    > would make a folder and move the x32 files into it as a backup if anything
    > goes wrong. You can use bootcfg /scan to see all your windows system and
    > then bootcfg /add to add the one that isn't there, or bootcfg /rebuild .
    > Don't forget the space between the command and parameters.
    >

    > "Trevor BROOKES" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I have installed XP64 on a second disc which is a P ata,
    >>
    >>My Xp32 is installed on a Sata II, When I boot the xp32 my sata is C, and
    >>the XP64 disc is the G
    >>
    >>To boot the XP64 I have to change the bios setting and then my P ata xp64
    >>become the C
    >>
    >>How do I get windows to give me a choice at boot start up
    >>If I add to my XP32 ini a second line :
    >>
    >>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    >>Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    >>
    >>But this does not work as it gives me an error
    >>I tried changing the 'rdisk(0)' to 1 or even 2 but no luck as I suppose
    >>that it should stay on G ie for me the 2 disk
    >>
    >>can anyone help me on this please
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Will try this , thanks a lot

    Trevor BROOKES, Sep 26, 2005