    32bit, I guess it's best to install x64 first then do the installation of
    32bit?

    Many Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Actually it would be the other way around. General rule of thumb is to
    install the older OS first. Seperate partitions are the road you want to go
    down although when it comes to 32bit apps such as Office I found you can
    install them in the same place in both OSs and they work fine.

    Hope that helps,
    Andrew

    Andrew Ahearne, Aug 8, 2005

  3. That's cool, I've already got the 32bit version installed, I will create a
    new 30Gb partition and put x64 onto that.

    Cheers for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=, Aug 8, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I personally would suggest installing the programs on each system
    independently if you have the disk space as when you decide which system to
    finally settle on, you can delete the other without having to figure out
    what programs to re-install. Or you can install them on a third partition.
    You also might consider a second drive for your other system as that will
    make for a cleaner setup. In any case you will want to make sure that you
    have the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the 64-bit install on both partitions
    and also the boot.ini. This will make it less likely you will have problems
    when you delete the system you aren't going to use. Remember the %root%
    drive (logical) will be the active partition on the drive (physical) when
    you install.

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Yeah that about covers everything I glazed over :)

    Andrew Ahearne, Aug 8, 2005
  6. So, i, have XP Pro installed on one hard drive, but i also have junk on my
    second drive, so can i still install x64, without having to format?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbg==?=, Aug 8, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?YmFyYTAz?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If it is partitioned as a primary partition, doesn't have a Windows folder,
    and associated folders (documents and settings ,program files) your could,
    but I would strongly suggest you set up a separate partition and install
    there. Real junk won't hurt (media files, photos shouldn't be a problem,
    though)

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  8. Thanks a lot, will do. :D

    =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbg==?=, Aug 9, 2005