    Also should I make the XP drive the master drive?
    Does this get set on the Cmos setting?
    Thx for any help

    Don P, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Don P

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Don P" <> wrote in
    news:p:

    > I'm getting ready to install XP pro and don't want to get rid of my
    > old OS (98se) as the drive has tons of files I need for work and kids
    > games can I just set the system for a dual boot by adding a second
    > clean HD and just install XP to that drive?

    Yes, this would be prefered in fact.

    > Also should I make the XP drive the master drive?

    No, as 9x doesn't like booting from anything /but/ the first drive

    > Does this get set on the Cmos setting?

    No, the drives have jumpers for Master and Slave on them.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Don P

    mark mandel Guest

    "Don P" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting ready to install XP pro and don't want to get rid of my old OS
    > (98se) as the drive has tons of files I need for work and kids games can I
    > just set the system for a dual boot by adding a second clean HD and just
    > install XP to that drive?
    > Also should I make the XP drive the master drive?
    > Does this get set on the Cmos setting?
    > Thx for any help

    Yes, you could install XP on a second drive though I've done it on one drive
    for two PC's. You just install it on a second partition. However, in this
    case backups are essential because there seems to be a greater risk of
    crashes due to one cause or another. Even a repair/install of the XP hasn't
    always worked because the partition wasn't seen in the XP installation
    screen.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Don P

    mike Guest

    I have read about lilo (linuxs boot manager) being able to do this haven't
    tried it myself yet you may want to do some research in that direction

    mike, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Don P

    Tom Dyer Guest

    Powerquest has a program called partition magic which would be perfect for
    what you want.
    It can resize the current partition to make room for a partition for xp.
    It also comes with boot magic which lets you boot either os from a simple
    boot menu.

    --
    Tom Dyer BEng

    Cheap, high performance, custom built