    is by default the first OS listed. Most of the time I would prefer
    to boot into xp, so I would like the first default boot option. How
    do you switch the order? thanks.
    lbbss, Mar 9, 2008

  2. lbbss

    VanguardLH Guest

    "lbbss" wrote in message
    news:...
    > Now that I added a partition and xp on the second partition. Vista
    > is by default the first OS listed. Most of the time I would prefer
    > to boot into xp, so I would like the first default boot option.
    > How
    > do you switch the order? thanks.

    It used to be that you edited the boot.ini file (in root directory of
    system drive) but Vista changed how booting works. See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_startup_process

    I don't use Vista so either the article should lead you in the right
    direction or you should go ask in a microsoft.public.* group for
    Windows Vista. Personally I wouldn't bother with Microsoft's screwy
    dual-booting scheme. I'd rather use a real boot manager, like GAG
    (gag.sourceforge.net) which lets you play with the multi-booting setup
    by using a floppy (so your boot scheme doesn't change that is on your
    hard disk) and then lets you replace the MBR bootstrap program when
    you feel the setup is correct. If you don't have a floppy, well, it
    still runs as a standard multi-boot manager (in place of the standard
    one in the MBR).
    VanguardLH, Mar 9, 2008

  3. lbbss

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:25:07 -0800 (PST), lbbss wrote:

    >Now that I added a partition and xp on the second partition. Vista
    >is by default the first OS listed. Most of the time I would prefer
    >to boot into xp, so I would like the first default boot option. How
    >do you switch the order? thanks.

    BCDEdit
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_boot_manager.htm
    the whole thing is different from the previous boot.ini process.

    Or any one of the little apps that do this for you, VistaBootPro.

    Looking in the Vista newsgroups, will have lots of the same question and
    perhaps other suggestions as to which boot editors are good, easy and
    perhaps free.

    Even www.google.com and as it's a MS product, the MS support article

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/bcdedit_reff.mspx
    BCDEdit Commands for Boot Environment

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af7781033.mspx?mfr=true
    Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2tfhf9

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...4f45-4a05-bd86-c99211a93dd91033.mspx?mfr=true
    BCDEdit Command-Line Options
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2w9gt4

    Understanding Dual Booting in Vista
    Examples:. The following command sets the specified entry as the default
    boot manager entry:. bcdedit /default
    {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71} ...
    www.vistaforums.com/forum/findpost415.aspx

    Me
    why?, Mar 9, 2008