(Dual Boot)XP OS and setup disks can't access HD, 2000 boots fine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mrceolla, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. mrceolla

    mrceolla Guest

    One morning, XP stopped booting. NONE of the alternate boot options
    work. The startup CD, even w/ loading 3rd party drivers, cannot
    access my hard drives.

    I have an Adaptec 1200a ATA RAID w/ 2x80gig drives raided together and
    then partitioned into two 80 gig. I have XP booting from partition 2
    and 2000 from partition 1. 2000 still boots just fine, and it'll see,
    read, and write to the XP partition, but XP will crash once the kernel
    starts doing it's thing. I'll see the XP splash screen w/ progress
    bar for a few seconds, then a quick flash of blue, then the computer
    reboots itself.

    I video taped the flash of blue so I could pause it and see what the
    error was and it's a 0x0000007B inaccessible boot device. I can't
    make out any more information. The screen may not even finish drawing
    itself before the computer reboots...any way to turn that off?

    I copied essential files from the root of partition 2, which was my
    system drive, to partition 1 and made partition 1 my system drive...to
    see if that made any difference. Same thing, 2000 boots just fine, XP
    doesn't even see my HD.

    If I choose a bootup option that'll display the DOS looking text
    commands, I will see a bunch of lines that look a bit like:

    multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)=windows\system32\drivers\blah.blah

    Not sure if that's exact, but you get the idea. The arc paths are
    accurate, so that's not the problem, but I'm wondering if seeing this,
    and getting to the XP kernel means that XP can see my hard drives for
    at least a moment.

    I just don't understand how 2000 can see everything just fine, but the
    XP install and even the setup CD have NO access whatsoever to my HD.

    Could this be a MBR or partition boot sector thing? That's what I'm
    leaning towards, but I don't know exactly how to check it or fix it
    w/o loosing my information. I don't want to give in and reformat just
    yet...especially if that doesn't do any good or I see this problem
    again. And ESPECIALLY since I can still get to 2000 and don't want to
    loose that ability before I backup some things.

    What could be causing this strange situation? How can I resolve it?
    Please, any suggestion or instruction will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    mrceolla, Dec 19, 2003

  2. mrceolla

    M Mullen Guest

    On 18 Dec 2003 16:07:40 -0800, (mrceolla) wrote:

    |> If I choose a bootup option that'll display the DOS looking text
    |> commands, I will see a bunch of lines that look a bit like:
    |>
    |> multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)=windows\system32\drivers\blah.blah
    |>
    |> Not sure if that's exact, but you get the idea. The arc paths are
    |> accurate,

    Not if it's anything like the above.
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(6)\WINNT="Photo" /fastdetect
    (I renamed the windows crap to Photo).
    There shouldn't be a path of any sort.
    --
    ,,