    description, I couldn't find anything else.

    Thanks in advance,
    Leonard

    Stumblingblock, Jun 28, 2009

  2. The instructions in the blog post are about as detailed as anyone is likely
    to have.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2009

  3. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > The instructions in the blog post are about as detailed as anyone is
    > likely to have.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >

    > "Stumblingblock" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, I built a nice fast system, and put xp x64 on it as the OS, and I
    >> am very happy with it's performance. However, I find that several games I
    >> would like to play on this system don't like xp64. So, I need to add a 32
    >> bit xp, which I know is the improper order for installation, but I would
    >> hate to undo everything on my 64 bit system to reinstall. I found an old
    >> fax where Charlie Russel said it was POSSIBLE to install 32 after 64, by
    >> copying my ntldr and ntdetect from my x64 disk onto the C drive.
    >> But, I am AFRAID to do this without more detailed instructions, step by
    >> step, with some hand-holding if necessary. If it goes wrong, no hard
    >> feelings.
    >> Anybody out there that can walk me through the procedure? Or point me to
    >> a description, I couldn't find anything else.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Leonard

    Everything I see is kinda sketchy on details. So I guess after installing
    xppro 32 in a separate partition from the already existing xp64, the
    ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 will be overwritten, and the xppro 32 boot
    manager will not recognize xp64, so it won't offer dual boot option. So the
    trick is to copy ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 disk, or repair console, or ?
    onto ?where? the root of the xppro 32 or xp64? And how to access this. Not a
    lot of command line experience, but I am sure it's easy for someone who has
    done it.

    Any comments on the above?

    Stumblingblock, Jun 29, 2009
  4. Run the steps. Boot from the x64 CD, and Repair.
    Run fixboot from the repair console
    run bootcfg /rebuild
    copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com files from the x64 CD to the root of the x64
    system drive.
    reboot.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2009
  5. thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
    That was all I needed. I have no windows-knowledgeable people to consult
    with, so your advice was just what I needed.
    best regards

    Leonard

    Stumblingblock, Jun 29, 2009
  6. Stumblingblock

    andy Guest

    On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:23:19 -0700, "Stumblingblock"
    <> wrote:

    >Everything I see is kinda sketchy on details. So I guess after installing
    >xppro 32 in a separate partition from the already existing xp64, the
    >ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 will be overwritten, and the xppro 32 boot
    >manager will not recognize xp64, so it won't offer dual boot option. So the
    >trick is to copy ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 disk, or repair console, or ?
    >onto ?where? the root of the xppro 32 or xp64? And how to access this. Not a
    >lot of command line experience, but I am sure it's easy for someone who has
    >done it.
    >
    >Any comments on the above?

    If your Windows XP CD is of very recent vintage, there's a good chance
    that it won't overwrite the XP x64 versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com.
    Windows XP setup will create the dual boot menu, and it's very easy to
    just try booting XP x64. If booting XP x64 fails, then boot Windows
    XP, open a command prompt window, and replace ntdetect.com and ntldr
    from the XP x64 CD:

    C:\>attrib
    A C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
    SH C:\boot.ini
    A C:\CONFIG.SYS
    A SHR C:\IO.SYS
    A SHR C:\MSDOS.SYS
    A SHR C:\NTDETECT.COM
    A SHR C:\ntldr

    C:\>attrib -h -s -r nt*.*

    C:\>copy e:\i386\nt*.* .
    e:\i386\NTDETECT.COM
    Overwrite .\NTDETECT.COM? (Yes/No/All): y
    e:\i386\NTLDR
    Overwrite .\NTLDR? (Yes/No/All): y
    2 file(s) copied.

    C:\>attrib +r +s +h nt*.*

    C:\>

    andy, Jun 29, 2009
  7. Many thanks Andy, but a bit of clarification please:

    "andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:23:19 -0700, "Stumblingblock"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Everything I see is kinda sketchy on details. So I guess after installing
    >>xppro 32 in a separate partition from the already existing xp64, the
    >>ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 will be overwritten, and the xppro 32 boot
    >>manager will not recognize xp64, so it won't offer dual boot option. So
    >>the
    >>trick is to copy ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 disk, or repair console, or
    >>?
    >>onto ?where? the root of the xppro 32 or xp64? And how to access this. Not
    >>lot of command line experience, but I am sure it's easy for someone who
    >>has
    >>done it.
    >>
    >>Any comments on the above?
    >>

    > If your Windows XP CD is of very recent vintage, there's a good chance
    > that it won't overwrite the XP x64 versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com.
    > Windows XP setup will create the dual boot menu, and it's very easy to
    > just try booting XP x64. If booting XP x64 fails, then boot Windows
    > XP, open a command prompt window, and replace ntdetect.com and ntldr
    > from the XP x64 CD:

    Yes, I have wondered why the service packs would not have updated the
    ability to dual boot 64, but this is the first time I have heard that this
    may have been updated. Anyone else have experience doing this successfully?

    > C:\>attrib
    > A C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
    > SH C:\boot.ini
    > A C:\CONFIG.SYS
    > A SHR C:\IO.SYS
    > A SHR C:\MSDOS.SYS
    > A SHR C:\NTDETECT.COM
    > A SHR C:\ntldr

    What is the A SHR? are you changing attributes of these files? So that is
    necessary, and this is how to do it? Excuse my ignorance, I am a real
    shade-tree mechanic when it come to Windows, I just learn by doing.

    Stumblingblock, Jun 30, 2009
  8. Stumblingblock

    andy Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:58:09 -0700, "Stumblingblock"
    <> wrote:

    >Many thanks Andy, but a bit of clarification please:
    >
    >"andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:23:19 -0700, "Stumblingblock"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Everything I see is kinda sketchy on details. So I guess after installing
    >>>xppro 32 in a separate partition from the already existing xp64, the
    >>>ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 will be overwritten, and the xppro 32 boot
    >>>manager will not recognize xp64, so it won't offer dual boot option. So
    >>>the
    >>>trick is to copy ntdetect and ntldr from xp64 disk, or repair console, or
    >>>?
    >>>onto ?where? the root of the xppro 32 or xp64? And how to access this. Not
    >>>lot of command line experience, but I am sure it's easy for someone who
    >>>has
    >>>done it.
    >>>
    >>>Any comments on the above?
    >>>

    >> If your Windows XP CD is of very recent vintage, there's a good chance
    >> that it won't overwrite the XP x64 versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com.
    >> Windows XP setup will create the dual boot menu, and it's very easy to
    >> just try booting XP x64. If booting XP x64 fails, then boot Windows
    >> XP, open a command prompt window, and replace ntdetect.com and ntldr
    >> from the XP x64 CD:

    >Yes, I have wondered why the service packs would not have updated the
    >ability to dual boot 64, but this is the first time I have heard that this
    >may have been updated. Anyone else have experience doing this successfully?
    >
    >> C:\>attrib
    >> A C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
    >> SH C:\boot.ini
    >> A C:\CONFIG.SYS
    >> A SHR C:\IO.SYS
    >> A SHR C:\MSDOS.SYS
    >> A SHR C:\NTDETECT.COM
    >> A SHR C:\ntldr
    >>

    >What is the A SHR? are you changing attributes of these files? So that is
    >necessary, and this is how to do it? Excuse my ignorance, I am a real
    >shade-tree mechanic when it come to Windows, I just learn by doing.

    In order to write to the files you have to remove the read-only
    attribute. In order to remove the read-only attribute, you have to
    remove the hidden and system attributes first, hence the -h -s -r
    order.

    andy, Jun 30, 2009