    Are there any known issues with this? Is there any way to resolve this?

    Regards,
    Navin.

    =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=, Jul 26, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

    WordPerfect Guest

    Professional edition XP 64 bit version 2003 is for Itanium. Do you mean
    Windows XP Professional x64?

    WordPerfect, Jul 26, 2005

  3. No, he/she is talking about x64 (64-bit), 32 bit Windows cannot run on
    Itanium. I would suggest you restart in safe mode on the 32-bit XP and try
    changing the password and possibly the username then restart and log back in
    normal mode to see if that fixes this issue.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 26, 2005
  4. Navin=He

    Andre, I tried the safe mode too, but I still cannot login. Even the
    Administrator password does not work any more.

    Regards,

    =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=, Jul 27, 2005
  5. You might have try the Recovery console:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    Or you might just have to jump the gun and do a reinstall, but this time,
    write down all passwords required.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 27, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Navin.

    HOW did you install x64 on your second drive?

    The MS way is to simply set your computer to boot from CD, insert the WinXP
    CD-ROM, reboot, and follow the prompts. This is true when installing x64 to
    a Windows-less computer, or when adding x64 to one where Windows (Win98/ME
    or Win2K or 32-bit WinXP - or an earlier copy of WinXP x64) is already
    installed. Many users try other ways, which sometimes work and sometimes
    don't.

    For example, they may disable their first HD before running Setup, so that
    it sees only the second HD, which then becomes x64's "System Partition".
    X64's Setup puts a new Boot.ini there, along with a new NTLDR and
    NTDETECT.COM, rather than updating the versions on the first HD. Or they
    use PartitionMagic or some other program to reorganize boot sequences first.

    These are just a couple of many variations that users have reported. Which
    method did you use?

    We can't see your computer, so could you please tell us some basic facts
    about it? Such as: make and model of the computer (or the mobo, if you
    built it yourself); how many HDs, which interface (SATA, SCSI, IDE or ?),
    and how are they partitioned and formatted? And it might help if you post a
    copy of your C:\boot.ini.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Hello RC,
    I did not disable the primary drive. I did a cd install and chose the
    second disk for the install. Chose a quick format (ntfs). The install was
    smooth. Just to clarify again if I was not clear. I cannot login to the 32bit
    version anymore as administrator or any user. The 64 bit version is fine.
    Also the passwords are the same on both. But I get logon denied incorrect
    username/password.

    Andre,
    I did the recovery console from a recovery partion I have, after three
    failures it kicked me out.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Professional 32bit" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

    Sysinfo output.
    ***********
    OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition
    Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 1 Build 3790
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    Activation Status Activation Pending (28 days remaining)
    System Name NB918531
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model hp workstation xw8200
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
    Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
    Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
    Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 786B8 v2.02, 6/2/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory D:\WINDOWS
    System Directory D:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.1830
    (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)"
    User Name ........
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 4,095.29 MB
    Available Physical Memory 3.43 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 5.75 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.41 GB
    Page File Space 2.00 GB
    Page File D:\pagefile.sys

    =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=, Jul 27, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Navin.

    If you were around back in MS-DOS days, you should remember that, when we
    wanted to partition and format the hard drive, we booted from a floppy
    diskette and used FDISK and Format.exe. Later, when started creating
    multiple partitions, if we wanted to format C:, we still had to boot from an
    MS-DOS floppy. Even MS-DOS could not format the partition where it was
    operating from. The classic analogy was to "saw off the branch you are
    sittiing on" or to "obey an order to commit suicide".

    So, now, WinXP's Disk Management cannot format either the boot volume (which
    holds \Windows and runs all of WinXP) or the System Partition (typically
    C:), which runs the whole current boot session! That's why we boot from the
    CD, not from C:, when we need to format C:. And that's why we install WinXP
    by booting from the CD, not from C:.

    Thanks for the info you provided about yor system. However, you still did
    not tell us how many HDs, what interface (SATA?), and how they are
    partitioned. From your boot.ini, it appears that you have x64 in the first
    volume of your first HD (rdisk(0)partition(1)) and x86 in the first volume
    of your second HD (rdisk(1)partition(1)). I assume this version of boot.ini
    is the one in C:\. You might have a dozen boot.ini files scattered around
    your computer, but only the one in the Root of the System Partition matters.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 27, 2005
  9. Hello RC,

    > That's why we boot from the
    > CD, not from C:, when we need to format C:. And that's why we install WinXP
    > by booting from the CD, not from C:.

    I am not clear what you are trying to say or what you have inferred from
    what I stated. Not sure why you gave me the ms-dos and cd install analogy. I
    chose to format the new unused second disk (now d:\ ) before installing x64
    on it, as part of the install process.

    > Thanks for the info you provided about yor system. However, you still did
    > not tell us how many HDs, what interface (SATA?), and how they are
    > partitioned.

    I have two SATA matrox drives 250G each. On C:\ (the first disk) is the x86
    install, on D: second disk I chose to install x64 XP. Each disk holds one
    partition only.

    > From your boot.ini, it appears that you have x64 in the first
    > volume of your first HD (rdisk(0)partition(1)) and x86 in the first volume
    > of your second HD (rdisk(1)partition(1)).

    No. Please see again rdisk(1)partition(1) is x64. Which is my D:\

    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Professional 32bit" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

    The boot information I have provided is from right clicking on "my computer"
    icon and choosing advanced options tab->startup and recovery->edit

    =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=, Jul 28, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TlJC?=

    Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:43:04 -0700, NRB
    <> wrote:

    >Hello RC,

    What happens when you try to sign on? What is the message ?
    Is this PC on a network and if so does it have a domain controller ?

    and BTW their are utilities out there that will allow you to change
    the administrator or user password. Sorry can't remember the name
    right now but maybe you could do a google search.

    , Jul 29, 2005