    Windows XP" is greyed out.

    I've read on some forums that MS wants OS installed old to new. Am I
    out of luck here?

    jcl, Mar 3, 2006

  2. The recommended procedure for installing multiple operating systems is to
    install the oldest first and newest last.
    Check out the dual boot tutorial by Charlie Russel:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 3, 2006

  3. jcl

    monique Mair Guest

    jcl schrieb:

    > I currently have XP x64 running and would like to install XP x32 on
    > another partition. When I put in my MSDN disk, the option to "Install
    > Windows XP" is greyed out.
    >
    > I've read on some forums that MS wants OS installed old to new. Am I
    > out of luck here?

    Just one question? I have installed x64 on a new system (no other OS) I
    am loving it! Why install something old? Just my opinion, I considered
    that as well Andre is right the article on the forum is helpful. Good Luck!
    Monique

    monique Mair, Mar 3, 2006
  4. To maintain compatibility with legacy applications and devices that are not
    supported under Windows x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 3, 2006
  5. jcl

    jcl Guest

    monique Mair wrote:

    > Just one question? I have installed x64 on a new system (no other OS) I
    > am loving it! Why install something old?

    I'm finding that there are some tools (e.g., Work Item utility for Team
    System) that won't work with XP x64.

    Jennifer

    jcl, Mar 3, 2006
  6. As Andre suggests, see my dual boot blog for how to set up dual booting,
    even if you're doing it in the wrong order. Another thing to consider - run
    your older OS in a virtual machine, using VMWare or Virtual Server.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 3, 2006
  7. Be sure to report this as a bug.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, Game Technology Group

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Mar 3, 2006
  8. jcl

    jcl Guest

    Thank you all for your help. I did get the dual boot working.

    jcl, Mar 7, 2006