    I have a win98 on it's own hd... and want to add it to a machine with
    winxp... how can i get the two hd's to boot....thanks.

    Kristinmerri
    Kristinmerri, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Kristinmerri

    Kenny Guest

    Is the one with Win98 from a different PC? If so it's unlikely to work.
    Normally in a dual boot situation Win98 should be installed first. If it
    was from the same PC it may work if you get it booting first from Win98 then
    add the XP one.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Kristinmerri

    «BONEHEAD>> Guest

    > I have a win98 on it's own hd... and want to add it to a machine with
    > winxp... how can i get the two hd's to boot....thanks.
    >
    > Kristinmerri

    http://gag.sourceforge.net/

    Gag the graphical Boot Manager
    a.. Allows boot of up to 9 different operating systems.
    a.. It can boot operating systems installed in primary and extended
    partitions on any available hard disk.
    a.. Can be installed from nearly all operating systems.
    a.. GAG doesn't need its own partition. It installs itself in the first
    track of the hard disk,
    wich is reserved for these kinds of programs.
    a.. It can also be instaled on a floppy disk, without using the hard disk.
    a.. It has a timer to boot a default operating system (selectable by the
    user).
    «BONEHEAD>>, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Kristinmerri

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    "«BONEHEAD>>" <> wrote in message
    > http://gag.sourceforge.net/

    This looks quite interesting. Thanks for the link.
    Spammy Sammy, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Kristinmerri

    Kristinmerri Guest

    On 1/30/2005 11:58:59 AM, "Kenny" wrote:
    >Is the one with Win98 from a different PC? If so it's unlikely to work.
    >Normally in a dual boot situation Win98 should be installed first. If it
    >was from the same PC it may work if you get it booting first from Win98 then
    >add the XP one.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Kenny
    >

    >"Kristinmerri" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a win98 on it's own hd... and want to add it to a machine with
    >> winxp... how can i get the two hd's to boot....thanks.
    >>
    >> Kristinmerri

    I must keep win98 on it's on hd... a 3 gig at that because of the software
    that is also on this hd. What's really needed is the bookkeeping software
    that's on this hd. Now this person needs to load this onto her new computer
    which has winxp of course. Maybe there's a program for getting just the
    bookkkeeping software to run on winxp?

    Kristinmerri
    Kristinmerri, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Kristinmerri

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    > I must keep win98 on it's on hd... a 3 gig at that because of the software
    > that is also on this hd. What's really needed is the bookkeeping software
    > that's on this hd. Now this person needs to load this onto her new

    computer
    > which has winxp of course. Maybe there's a program for getting just the
    > bookkkeeping software to run on winxp?

    Have you considered using hard drive caddies - running XP most of the time
    and only switching the drives when you specifically want to use Win98?

    If it were me I would buy a large hard disk, mount it into your current PC
    as a slave, and then copy every file into a new partition on the new disk.
    (You won't be able to copy the swap file though - can't remember what it's
    called now - something like 386swp).

    Once you have successfully copied everything over then take out the old disk
    and make the new disk the master. You could then install XP onto a different
    partition on the new disk and make your PC dual boot.

    This way you would also have a fully backed up copy of your existing
    installation on the disk you removed.

    -------------------------------------

    Another way would be to use a program called VM Ware. This would allow you
    to create a fully functional Win98SE installation within your XP machine. VM
    Ware will also run many other operating systems as well so it's pretty good.
    You would need at least 512Mb of RAM to make it all work effectively though.

    Get a new large hard disk, install XP. Install VM Ware, then install Win98.
    You can then run the Win98 installation, install your book keeping stuff,
    and you will be happy.

    When running XP you can have a shortcut to the book keeping stuff on your XP
    desktop. When fired up it will automatically start the Win98 in a seperate
    window.

    Good luck.
    Spammy Sammy, Feb 1, 2005
  7. On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:44:25 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >I am wondering if you have an idea, any idea at all, what you are doing.
    >
    >In general, you can't move an installed operating system from one
    >computer to another (even by moving the hard drive), and you can't move
    >an installed application from one operating system to another.

    I've seen...

    1-Move HDD, boot from CD, reinstall,

    and

    2-Move HDD, start in Safe Mode, clean out Device Manager

    work a time or two, if memory serves. That would be for W98 only; I
    don't have a clue what would happen with XP or 2k.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Kristinmerri

    Kristinmerri Guest

    Barry pull your little dick out of your ass ..... and read the message again.

    Kristinmerri, Feb 2, 2005
  9. Kristinmerri

    Kristinmerri Guest

    Thanks for the info.....

    KM

    Kristinmerri, Feb 2, 2005
  10. Kristinmerri

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > In general, you can't move an installed operating system from one
    > computer to another (even by moving the hard drive),

    I don't see an issue with this. I've moved 98 drives from one machine to
    another on several occasions. Use the motherboard CD for drivers or search
    fopr them on the internet and do it properly and there is rarely a problem.
    Win2k and XP are slightly more complex but those I've done have also been
    fine.

    With regard to installed applications I agree with you. Either they won't
    work at all or it's too much aggravation finding all the installed files.
    Spammy Sammy, Feb 3, 2005