Dual boot Vista & XP

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Sam Crawford, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. Sam Crawford

    Sam Crawford Guest

    I'm trying to figure out how to dual boot Vista and XP.

    I have XP Professional x64 on disk 0, partion 1 and Vista Ultimate x64 on
    disk 1, partion 2.

    XP was installed first.

    After I installed Vista, it shows both Vista and XP in Vista's boot menu.
    When I try to go to XP, I get the error message that "NTLDR is missing" and
    error code 0x0000225.

    I tried using EasyBCD to change options but still can never boot into XP.
    Vista sees the drive it is installed on as "D" and XP on drive "K".

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    Sam

    Xposted to x64 and Vista newsgroups.

    Sam Crawford, Aug 13, 2007

  2. Try using this excellent utility:

    VistaBootPRO
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Aug 13, 2007

  3. Sam Crawford

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 12-Aug-2007, "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <> wrote:

    > Try using this excellent utility:
    >
    > VistaBootPRO
    > http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    Carey,

    I probably should have mentioned, I tried VistaBootPro as well.

    Thanks.

    Sam Crawford, Aug 13, 2007
  4. the problem is that somehow your boot files (ntldr and ntdetect.com ) are
    missing from the XP drive. You can copy the missing files back and you
    should be fine. They are on the XP x64 install CD.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2007
  5. Sam Crawford

    John Barnes Guest

    Are both drives IDE or SATA, or a combination? In Vista, which is
    designated your system drive (disk 1 partition 1?) and your boot drive (disk
    1, partition 2?). If so and both drives are the same, to start, copy the
    ntldr ntdetect.com and boot.ini to both partitions on drive 1 and modify the
    boot.ini rdisk number if necessary. You can clean up the unnecessary copies
    later if you want to.

    John Barnes, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Sam Crawford

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Sam.

    HOW did you install Vista?

    Were both HDs connected at the time? Did you boot from the Vista DVD? Or
    did you boot into WinXP and then run Vista's Setup.exe from there? And
    which HDD is your current boot device? In Vista's Disk Management, which
    volumes are shown as System and Boot?

    The best way to add Vista to WinXP is to keep both HDs connected, with Disk
    0 the boot device, while running Vista Setup. This way, Vista will preserve
    WinXP's startup files, while adding its own bootmgr file and \Boot folder to
    that Disk 0 partition 1, which will remain the System Partition. Vista will
    call that partition Drive D:, after assigning C: to its own boot folder
    (Disk 1 Partition 2 in your case).

    Whichever partition is shown as "System" in Vista's Disk Management is the
    location where NTLDR, etc., should be, along with a 512-byte file called
    Bootsect.BAK, which is a copy of the WinXP-style boot sector from the
    original Disk 0 Partition 1.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Aug 13, 2007
  7. Sam Crawford

    Sam Crawford Guest

    Whichever partition is shown as "System" in Vista's Disk Management is the
    location where NTLDR, etc., should be, along with a 512-byte file called
    Bootsect.BAK, which is a copy of the WinXP-style boot sector from the
    original Disk 0 Partition 1.

    Thanks RC.

    I copied these files to the root directory of all partions and it works!

    I appreciate everyone's help.

    Sam Crawford, Aug 14, 2007