Dual-boot Vista & Win7 restore points

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Rom, Jan 10, 2009.

  1. Rom

    Rom Guest

    Are restore points etc. 'nuked' when dual-booting Vista & Windows 7?

    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185>:
    | This problem occurs because the volume snapshot driver that is
    | included with Windows Vista and with Windows Server 2008 uses disk
    | structures that are incompatible with earlier versions of Windows.
    | Therefore, the earlier operating system deletes Windows Vista
    | shadow copies or Windows Server 2008 shadow copies together with
    | the associated restore points. This behavior occurs because the
    | earlier Windows operating systems do not recognize the new disk
    | structures.

    Or does this not apply or an issue with Vista & Win7?
    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 10, 2009

  2. Why didn't you read the page?

    CAUSE
    This problem occurs when you start the computer by using the
    earlier operating s...
    This problem occurs when you start the computer by using the
    earlier operating system, such as Microsoft Windows XP or
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003. In this situation, the
    earlier operating system deletes all the restore points that
    were created in Windows Vista. The earlier operating system
    also deletes all Complete PC Backup files except the most
    recent version of these backup files.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 10, 2009

  3. Rom

    John Barnes Guest

    I have had 1 success and two failures doing a Win7 restore after reverting
    back to Vista. I was unable to get an answer from MSFT but they did request
    the files created by the failures. I am sure the answer will come later,
    but it seems the intent is to have no problems. I urge caution and use a
    backup program.

    John Barnes, Jan 10, 2009
  4. Time to set up a WHS box, Rom. That's how I'm protecting my Win7 installs,
    and so far no problems to report. I've restored on earlier builds, so I
    don't expect an issue here. (haven't had a need to yet, of course.)

    Note that Windows Home Server, and other imaging type backups, are
    _independent_ of what is going on with restore points and dual booting. They
    give you much more protection that a simple restore point can. But they also
    have risks - when you restore a backup, you blow away what exists on that
    partition. Which could include data files that have changed since the
    backup. Be smart - keep your data files on a separate partition! (Or store
    them on WHS using folder redirection.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 10, 2009
  5. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:24:11 -0800, John Barnes wrote:

    > I have had 1 success and two failures doing a Win7 restore after reverting
    > back to Vista. I was unable to get an answer from MSFT but they did request
    > the files created by the failures. I am sure the answer will come later,
    > but it seems the intent is to have no problems.

    Thanks John for the response from experience.

    I was aware of the issue, even though hadn't personally experienced it
    by dual-booting Vista with an earlier OS, as I installed Vista on a
    new system I built the other year, and since prefer VMs for multiple
    OSs, with Win7 64-bit already installed in a VM, but now considering
    dual-booting Vista with Win7 (both 64-bit).

    > I urge caution and use a backup program.

    Yep, always good advice.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:03:34 -0800, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > Time to set up a WHS box, Rom. That's how I'm protecting my Win7 installs,
    > and so far no problems to report. I've restored on earlier builds, so I
    > don't expect an issue here. (haven't had a need to yet, of course.)

    I'm still a tad peeved ;-) WHS didn't initially support 64-bit (until
    Power Pack 1) when I /was/ looking for an alternative to Complete PC
    Backup or Acronis True Image etc.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 11, 2009
  7. Save your peeved. Believe me, I understand, but it's still the best product
    out there for the job. I was lucky, I had early access to the x64 client
    because I was on the beta, but even so, it's there now and well worth a
    look. Oh, and it runs just fine with Win7 64-bit.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 11, 2009
  8. Rom

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:
    Colin Barnhorst wrote an article 2/26/08 based on
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185 about hiding the Vista drives from
    earlier operating systems. I haven't tried it yet with Win7 x64 but it
    should work.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Jan 12, 2009
  9. I'm sure it does. Depending on restore points is a really bad idea, IMHO. I
    much prefer having a full image of the machine, taken daily. I can blow away
    and return to a better place with _certainty_ that I've completely replaced
    any problems. And as long as I keep data on a separate partition, it's no
    issue at all.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 12, 2009