    XP Pro on IDE format NTFS Basic.
    XP-64 on SATA VIA format NTFS Basic.

    Ant thoughts on how to fix this?
    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    "> 1) In order to choose which OS to boot with I first have to go into BIOS
    and
    > select the boot drive. If I boot with XP Pro the SATA drive with XP-64 is
    > not
    > visible. If I boot from XP-64 all drives are visible.

    When you say visible, where do you mean. My Computer, Disk Management etc.
    Why do you change the BIOS to select which system you use. You should have
    the boot.ini
    present the options. Did you install each system with the other
    disconnected?

    > 2) XP-64 doesn't shut down completely. It sticks at the blue screen
    > "Windows
    > is shutting down, please wait". XP Pro shuts down OK.

    99% of the time this has been the Avast A/V
    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006

  3. John, Thank you!! You really know your stuff.
    I did load XP Pro after XP-64. Before I loaded XP Pro I disconnected the
    SATA drive with XP-64 OS on it. Can I fix this without reloading XP Pro?
    Avast is running on XP-64. It was the only AV I could find that stated it
    was XP-64 compatable. I'll remove it and repost the result.
    Thanks again!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 7, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Your easiest way to set up at this point without reinstalling, is set your
    x64 as the boot drive. Then go into recovery console and when you get to
    the command prompt type bootcfg /rebuild That will install a boot.ini
    file on the drive that has the proper ntldr and ntdetect.com files

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Or, it seems some boards are having trouble in the installation phase when
    you mix IDE and SATA drives. I remember, on this current machine, I could
    only boot the OS in question if I had installed it to the 1:st drive, after
    that it absolutely didn't care what was 1:st or 2:nd. - but that is probably
    because I have separate options in the BIOS for the enumeration of drives in
    the Boot-order vs. the enumeration of IDE drives, and the SATA drive was
    listed as IDE prior to installing.

    I basically, just adapted to it's little perversion, I don't think I really
    understood it at the time.

    If the BIOS had been less flexible, I would have had to disconnect the
    'other' drive, I assume.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 7, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    Rick Guest

    Don't forget about the drive letters. If x64 was installed a C: drive
    and the XP 32-bit as C; drive with x64 disconnected, your suggestion
    won't work. Both drive will want to be C: and neither will boot as D:.

    Rick, Jan 7, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The drive letters in each installation will be assigned as needed. You
    often can have different drive letters for a given OS within their
    respective OS. They will have different letters in the Recovery Console.

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm sure Darrell Gorter can clarify if there are any other enumeration
    problems within the registry, but drive letters within the OS are not a
    problem.

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    Rick Guest

    What I am referring to is the drive letter path in the registry. If the
    drive is setup as C: it can only boot as C:. If it is reassigned as D:,
    or whatever, as you suggest, then it cannot boot; it won't have the
    right paths in the registry. Try it sometime. I have and I also tried
    changing the registry keys to compensate, but gave up after about 100
    entries.

    Rick, Jan 7, 2006
  10. John,
    Removing Avasti as you suggested corrected the shut down problem under XP-64.
    In the process of looking for the Recovery Console I hit <F6> at bootup in
    Win XP Pro. (I didn't want to appear stupid here and ask you how to get to
    it) As a result Win XP Pro found new hardware (Raid controllers). The VIA
    drivers loaded OK. As a result I now see all drives in "my computer" and
    "Disk management"
    I never did find the "Recovery Console" in XP-64. How do I get to it? I
    don't have the XP-64 install disk.
    Thanks again,

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 7, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The Recovery Console is only on the install disk (either one) unless you
    choose to install it and have it available on your boot.ini screen. Rick
    says it won't work, but I'd give it a try. You can always go back to the
    way you are doing things if it doesn't work. With no install disk for x64
    you can't reinstall, so that would be out anyway.

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006
  12. I have my XP Pro install disk. Are you saying I can use the Recovery Console
    from it?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 7, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    yes. for this command it will be okay. When you get to the first options
    screen (windows install stops) there will be an option to enter Recovery
    Console. R I believe. The instruction will just add all windows
    installations visible to the boot.ini. If there is a problem later, you can
    just edit them off and go back to where you are.

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Forgot to repeat, make sure the x64 drive is your system drive (primary boot
    drive)

    John Barnes, Jan 7, 2006
  15. Are you talking about making it the first drive in bios?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 7, 2006
  16. Once I got through the learning curve using "bootcfg" everything you
    recommended worked as you explained. Now at bootup I get a choice of XP Pro
    or XP-64. Removing Avasti AV fixed the shutdown freezing problem. In reguards
    to being able to see the SATA drive while in XP Pro. It appears by hitting
    the <F6> at bootup caused XP-Pro to find new hardware (VIA RAID Controller).
    After loading driver the SATA drive with XP-64 on it became visible in "My
    Computer" and in the disk manager. Prior to hitting <F6> XP Pro failed to
    pick up the VIA or Promise controlers. The Promise Controler still is not set
    up properly according to device manager. I don't have anything connected to
    it anyway.
    Thank you very much John for your guidance and help!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=, Jan 7, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?TGVmdHk=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are quite welcome. Thanks for reporting back.

    John Barnes, Jan 8, 2006