    Has anyone tried to install Windows XP Pro (32bit) on a drive that already
    has Windows XP Pro 64bit (single partition)? Is that even possible?

    Matt
    Matt Beals, Jun 28, 2005

  2. No. You'll end up with all sorts of problems. For one thing "Program Files"
    is 32-bit in 32-bit Windows, and 64 bit in 64-bit Windows. The 32-bit
    equivalent is "Program Files (x86)". Further, you can't install XP 32-bit
    after x64 Edition, it won't work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Matt Beals

    Matt Beals Guest

    How about this scenario...

    Ghost the system, repartition to 2 equal volumes, install XP Pro 32bit to
    partition 1, re-image partition 2 with XP Pro 64bit?

    Or am I just better off starting from scratch?

    Matt Beals, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Start from scratch. I don't know if what you've proposed would work, but I
    doubt it. I'm not even sure there IS a ghost for x64.

    --

    Matt Beals wrote:
    > How about this scenario...
    >
    > Ghost the system, repartition to 2 equal volumes, install XP Pro
    > 32bit to partition 1, re-image partition 2 with XP Pro 64bit?
    >
    > Or am I just better off starting from scratch?
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> No. You'll end up with all sorts of problems. For one thing "Program
    >> Files" is 32-bit in 32-bit Windows, and 64 bit in 64-bit Windows. The
    >> 32-bit equivalent is "Program Files (x86)". Further, you can't
    >> install XP 32-bit after x64 Edition, it won't work.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
    >>

    >> Matt Beals wrote:
    >>> Has anyone tried to install Windows XP Pro (32bit) on a drive that
    >>> already has Windows XP Pro 64bit (single partition)? Is that even
    >>> possible?
    >>> Matt
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Matt Beals

    Matt Beals Guest

    Schlitz.... I was hoping to avoid it. Is there a virtual PC version for XP
    pro 64? I couldn't find any info on that.

    Thanks for the advice!

    Matt Beals, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Matt Beals <> wrote:
    > Schlitz.... I was hoping to avoid it. Is there a virtual PC version
    > for XP pro 64? I couldn't find any info on that.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice!

    Hi Matt, no, no virtual pc so far, virtual server works under x64 but you
    can only create x86 virtual pc's...
    I think that your idea of ghost is not that bad.
    Make a ghost of your 32bit version, then partition your DD, be careful to
    have a large enough partition for your ghost, do the ghost to install your
    version of xp 32bit first than when everything is ok, reboot with your x64
    CD and install it on the second partition, using dualboot.
    Always install the x86 first, or to be correct, the oldest OS to finish with
    the newest

    Keep us informed...

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Matt Beals

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like he has x64 on the system and wants to put x32 back on also.

    Have you tried to install Ghost on your system, and how much free space do
    you have. Seems like I tried it on the beta version with no problems except
    a problem with the tray application, but don't remember for sure. If you
    can, your plan should work fine, though you will need to maintain the same
    drive letter or you may run into problems.

    John Barnes, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Matt Beals wrote:

    > Has anyone tried to install Windows XP Pro (32bit) on a drive that already
    > has Windows XP Pro 64bit (single partition)? Is that even possible?

    No, that is not recommended at all.

    However, if I remember correctly, Boot It NG (http://www.bootitng.com/)
    can shrink an NTFS partition. The demo version is sufficient (I think 14
    days should be enough for shrinking :)).

    After that, you can create a second partition for the second installation.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Matt Beals

    Matt Beals Guest

    "Shrink" the partition? It is a 100GB (roughly) drive I have, so I wouldn't
    mind making (2) 50GB partitions. I don't have Norton Ghost (but I've done a
    similar thing on my 2 Macs, VERY easy to do) so I haven't tried it yet. This
    though, is an interesting idea. I just worry about slicing up the drive
    AFTER it has been formatted. It appears that Bootitng is NOT compatible with
    the 64bit version of Windows XP Pro.

    I'll keep playing around and see what I can do. Thanks for the leads all.

    Matt

    Matt Beals, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Email smtp send

    Has any one had this problem? I can send email from outlook express but not
    from mozzlla or from thunderbird.
    it appeas something is blocking the stmp send . We did install avast and
    the windows xp professional 64 bit built in firewall.
    Any one any clues where to start to look for this?

    Thanks in advance

    Signed OLD Dog

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0526-3, 06/30/2005
    Tested on: 6/30/2005 7:03:00 PM
    privatenews\\64bit, Jul 1, 2005
  11. "Matt Beals" wrote:

    > Has anyone tried to install Windows XP Pro (32bit) on a drive that already
    > has Windows XP Pro 64bit (single partition)? Is that even possible?
    >
    > Matt

    Yes, you can install Windows Professional x64 edition on a single hard drive
    with 2 or more partitions. I have done this many times before, including
    installing the x64 trial(currently using) on another partition with XP Home
    on the other. This will not cause problems if you make sure of the
    following.. 1. Make sure that when you are installing XP Pro x64 trial that
    it is being installed on a different drive letter than your previous
    operating system. This way, windows sees them as 2 seperate hard drives in
    My Computer, and the new operating system will be added to a boot menu which
    will appear when you turn on your computer, asking you to select which
    version of windows to start. It works flawlessly as long as you heed those
    directions. If you do not already have your hard drive partitioned, you
    could use Partition Magic or a program like it to resize your current
    partition and create room out of the freespace, which you can use to create
    an additional partition(or more) to hold XP x64. Another option would be to
    reformat your hard drive, and using FDisk or the Windows Setup to create 2
    partitions before you install windows. For example, in windows setup(2000,
    XP), you can delete the current partition, and then create a new one. It
    will ask you how many megabytes to make it, type in half of the size of your
    hard drive or whatever you like. Then install XP 32-bit Pro or Home. Then
    reboot with the x64 cd in the drive, enter setup and create a new partition
    out of the freespace left over that you didn't use for the first one, then
    install x64 on that one, all set.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jul 2, 2005