    importing foreign disk in the other could work? I guess the answer to that
    lies in whether or not the importing foreign disk function writes a 'new'
    signature to the disk or not. If it did I guess this theory would not work.

    David, Mar 15, 2007

  2. David wrote:
    > came across a practice question with scenario similar to this:
    > one hard drive, basic disk, several volumes, dual booting XP Pro and Server
    > 2003. Application hard coded to use certain drive letter with is running out
    > of space so you need to create more space for it but maintain its drive
    > letter.
    >
    > to the point here: correct answer was to simply mount one of the other
    > volumes that was free to apps folder... however one of the options involved
    > converting to dynamic disk and expanding the volume. I wrongly chose this
    > option. I have known that dynamic disks will break many dual boot scenarios
    > but for some reason I was thinking since both the OS's in this case support
    > dynamic disks that it would be possible? I just want to confirm that its
    > not. I was thinking converting to dynamic within one of the OS's then
    > importing foreign disk in the other could work? I guess the answer to that
    > lies in whether or not the importing foreign disk function writes a 'new'
    > signature to the disk or not. If it did I guess this theory would not work.

    I have not tested this scenario myself to see the result, but MS
    recommends NOT converting any dual boot system's disks to dynamic,
    regardless of which OS's you are supporting.

    Your theory of why sounds possible, since you must 'import' a disk into
    a new system you may be forced to do this every time you boot to the
    alternate OS. I wonder if anyone here has ever actually tried this to
    see....

    Red Swingline Stapler, Mar 15, 2007

  3. "Red Swingline Stapler" wrote:

    > David wrote:
    > > came across a practice question with scenario similar to this:
    > > one hard drive, basic disk, several volumes, dual booting XP Pro and Server
    > > 2003. Application hard coded to use certain drive letter with is running out
    > > of space so you need to create more space for it but maintain its drive
    > > letter.
    > >
    > > to the point here: correct answer was to simply mount one of the other
    > > volumes that was free to apps folder... however one of the options involved
    > > converting to dynamic disk and expanding the volume. I wrongly chose this
    > > option. I have known that dynamic disks will break many dual boot scenarios
    > > but for some reason I was thinking since both the OS's in this case support
    > > dynamic disks that it would be possible? I just want to confirm that its
    > > not. I was thinking converting to dynamic within one of the OS's then
    > > importing foreign disk in the other could work? I guess the answer to that
    > > lies in whether or not the importing foreign disk function writes a 'new'
    > > signature to the disk or not. If it did I guess this theory would not work.

    It does work that way. All volumes created on a dynamic disk are dynamic
    volumes which will prevent old O.S. (such as 95, 98) from accessing them, and
    that is the problem for dual boot. However since both XP Pro. and Server 2003
    support dynamic disk, there will be no problem with accessing the dynamic
    volumes at all. However, my suggestion is to install new disk, convert it to
    dynamic disk, create necessary volumes, and then extend the existing volumes.
    You may know as well that you can not extend the system or boot partitions.

    Dragon Without Wings, Mar 15, 2007