    Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...

    sounds silly but is it possible?

    One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    Andrew, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:48:00 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:

    >Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >
    >sounds silly but is it possible?
    >
    >One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    it..

    Tony, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    > stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    > it..

    Sitting here doing a remote upgrade of an XP machine to SP2 after removing
    Norton Internet Security and downloading about a hundred security updates, I
    can sympathize with this statement...

    --
    IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
    Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz

    Stu Fleming, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Andrew

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Andrew <> wrote in news:AvjMe.3320$iM2.298188
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > sounds silly but is it possible?

    Google "Parallel Install XP"

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:48:00 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:
    >

    >>Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >>
    >>sounds silly but is it possible?
    >>
    >>One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    > You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    > stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    > it..

    Thanks for not answering my question at all... I feel like my original
    post was well worth it

    - no seriously, i have a SP1 machien that needs to stay like that - ie
    what im using it for does not play happy with SP2

    and now i have soemthing else that requires SP2 but only have one machine

    Andrew, Aug 16, 2005
  6. In article <AvjMe.3320$>,
    says...
    > Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >
    > sounds silly but is it possible?
    >
    > One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    Yupp, no problem. Just install it twice, into two discrete directories.
    The second install will automatically create a boot menu.

    <amusing aside> my neighbour, who doesn't really understand how ANY of
    this works, had 4 (!) installations of WinXP on his system at one point,
    until I whittled it down to one. It's mindboggling what some people get
    up to.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <AvjMe.3320$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >>
    >>sounds silly but is it possible?
    >>
    >>One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2
    >>

    > Yupp, no problem. Just install it twice, into two discrete directories.
    > The second install will automatically create a boot menu.
    >
    > <amusing aside> my neighbour, who doesn't really understand how ANY of
    > this works, had 4 (!) installations of WinXP on his system at one point,
    > until I whittled it down to one. It's mindboggling what some people get
    > up to.
    >
    > -P.

    Thats cool, The main question was the service packs.. one must be
    service pack 1 and the other service pack 2

    Will the service pack 2 install affect the service pack 1 install at all?

    Andrew, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:48:00 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:
    >

    >>Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >>
    >>sounds silly but is it possible?
    >>
    >>One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    > You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    > stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    > it..

    JEOPARDY

    Tony, Do i need service pack 1 at all, Should i just use SP2, Does it
    work 100%, What kind of people are the ones who do not upgrade to SP2
    and what gets posted about windows when users dont upgrade to SP2?

    Andrew, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Andrew

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    > stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    > it..

    Find me a resolution that allows full tcp/ip access unlike the crippled SP2 one
    that doesnt involve hacks with older versions of files that may be overwritten
    at any time then.

    Till you do, I dont do SP2 on the P2P machine here.

    Richard, Aug 16, 2005
  10. Andrew

    cowboyz Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >
    > sounds silly but is it possible?
    >
    > One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    Sure it is. You can have 2 installs side by side. Install one copy and
    then go to new install and select a different partition. and select new
    install.

    Rename the bootloader so you can figure out which one is which

    cowboyz, Aug 16, 2005
  11. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >>
    >>sounds silly but is it possible?
    >>
    >>One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    > Sure it is. You can have 2 installs side by side. Install one copy and
    > then go to new install and select a different partition. and select new
    > install.
    >
    > Rename the bootloader so you can figure out which one is which

    Cheers!

    Andrew, Aug 16, 2005
  12. Andrew

    shannon Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    >> stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted
    >> about
    >> it..

    > Find me a resolution that allows full tcp/ip access unlike the crippled
    > SP2 one that doesnt involve hacks with older versions of files that may
    > be overwritten at any time then.
    >
    > Till you do, I dont do SP2 on the P2P machine here.

    I'd like to know more about this.
    Can you tell me what the restriction is ?

    shannon, Aug 16, 2005
  13. Andrew

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:56:05 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:48:00 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:
    >
    >>Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >>
    >>sounds silly but is it possible?
    >>
    >>One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    >You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    >stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    >it..

    Assuming his SP1 isn't going online, why would he need SP2?

    Invisible, Aug 16, 2005
  14. Andrew

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:10:08 +1200, Andrew wrote:

    > Will the service pack 2 install affect the service pack 1 install at all?

    Nope - as long as you keep them (and their respective apps) in different
    partitions.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 16, 2005
  15. shannon wrote:
    >> Find me a resolution that allows full tcp/ip access unlike the
    >> crippled SP2 one that doesnt involve hacks with older versions of
    >> files that may be overwritten at any time then.

    >> Till you do, I dont do SP2 on the P2P machine here.

    > I'd like to know more about this.
    > Can you tell me what the restriction is ?

    10 connetions or something... there are hacks to get around it, mine for
    instance is set to 100.

    Google for "raw sockets SP2"

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2005
  16. Richard wrote:
    >> You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    >> stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted
    >> about
    >> it..

    > Find me a resolution that allows full tcp/ip access unlike the crippled
    > SP2 one that doesnt involve hacks with older versions of files that may
    > be overwritten at any time then.

    Windows server 2k3.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2005
  17. Andrew

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:04:40 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:48:00 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Dual boot windows xp with windows xp...
    >>>
    >>>sounds silly but is it possible?
    >>>
    >>>One needs to be service pack 1, and the second service pack 2

    >> You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    >> stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    >> it..
    >>

    >Thanks for not answering my question at all... I feel like my original
    >post was well worth it
    >
    >- no seriously, i have a SP1 machien that needs to stay like that - ie
    >what im using it for does not play happy with SP2
    >
    >and now i have soemthing else that requires SP2 but only have one machine

    ALL MACHINES THAT RUN XP NEED SP2. ITS A VERY SIMPLE FACT..

    Tony, Aug 16, 2005
  18. Andrew

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:14:30 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    >> stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted about
    >> it..

    >Find me a resolution that allows full tcp/ip access unlike the crippled SP2 one
    >that doesnt involve hacks with older versions of files that may be overwritten
    >at any time then.
    >
    >Till you do, I dont do SP2 on the P2P machine here.

    There are a number if Fixes for the tcp/ip limitations but SP2 has some
    many fixes its a MUST..

    Only idiots that don't update..

    Tony, Aug 16, 2005
  19. Andrew

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:05:46 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Richard wrote:
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> You DO NOT NEED Service pack one, just use SP2, it works 100%, its only
    >>> stupid People that do not upgrade to SP2 and the Crap that is posted
    >>> about
    >>> it..

    >> Find me a resolution that allows full tcp/ip access unlike the crippled
    >> SP2 one that doesnt involve hacks with older versions of files that may
    >> be overwritten at any time then.
    >>
    >> Till you do, I dont do SP2 on the P2P machine here.

    >I'd like to know more about this.
    >Can you tell me what the restriction is ?

    It only allows 10 connections, but there are a number of fixes that can make
    it what you like, just like Any TCP/IP settings, its a Normal feature.

    Its only idiots that don't update to SP2, or one that read all the Crap that
    is posted about it..

    XP antispy lets you set it..

    http://www.xpantispy.org/

    Plus other tools, its only a registry setting..

    Tony, Aug 16, 2005
  20. Tony wrote:
    > ALL MACHINES THAT RUN XP NEED SP2. ITS A VERY SIMPLE FACT..

    no they dont.
    Give 1 good reason why my theoretical machine needs SP2?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 17, 2005