    to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
    Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?
    , Jul 13, 2007

  2. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >Just bought an old Dell w/Win2000Pro, clean install. Have a MSDOS
    >program that will not run on Win2000, only Win9x. Have old HDD
    >w/Win98SE and program already installed. I added this HDD as a slave
    >to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
    >Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?

    You will need a 3rd party boot manager utility such as BootItNG from
    http://www.bootitng.com

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jul 13, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just bought an old Dell w/Win2000Pro, clean install. Have a MSDOS
    > program that will not run on Win2000, only Win9x. Have old HDD
    > w/Win98SE and program already installed. I added this HDD as a slave
    > to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
    > Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?

    An alternate solution would be a "virtual OS". I've been using MS Virtual PC
    2007
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx)
    for some of my issues (XP stuff that won't run on Vista). There are other
    packages available as well, such as VMWare (I believe this is what you would
    want: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/).

    The one issue that could cause problems would be what I'd call "hardware
    reliance". If your software doesn't run because of software issues, you
    should be fine this way. But if your software doesn't run because it is,
    say, writing direct to hardware ports (like direct to a printer, trying to
    bypass the OS), then the virtual OS may not work for you.

    So you install the VM or VPC software on W2K, and then install W9x as a
    virtual OS. Then put your MS-DOS program into that virtual OS. In fact, you
    might even be able to skip the W9x if you have DOS setup floppies - make
    THAT the virtual OS. I wanted to try that myself, but I don't have a floppy
    drive in my laptop, so I've got to play some tricks to get that setup
    tested.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 14, 2007
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >Just bought an old Dell w/Win2000Pro, clean install. Have a MSDOS
    >program that will not run on Win2000, only Win9x. Have old HDD
    >w/Win98SE and program already installed. I added this HDD as a slave
    >to the new computer, but the Win2000 OS sees it but will not boot it.
    >Is there a way I can edit the boot file to double boot both OS's?

    Depending upon the program DOSBOX might be easier.
    It's a DOS emulator, I use it to play some of the older games.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox

    --
    Fractal Seashore
    http://tinyurl.com/39959n