    boot.ini, then plug in the origional disk as the master having the x32 as the
    secondary?
    Appreciate any help!
    =?Utf-8?B?S2FybGg=?=, Sep 26, 2005

  2. You typically want x86 as your first installed OS. So, in your case, it
    might not be possible to do this. What you could do is install the x86 OS
    on your other drive with the x64 detached, then change the BIOS boot order
    and boot.ini to be proper based on what you want to boot.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Sep 26, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybGg=?=

    Frank Guest

    Karlh wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Got a new PC with XP x64 installed, and I'm having a few perpheral issues so
    > I'm thinking of going down the dual boot route.
    > Currently I have one SATA 300gb with the XP x64 and want to get a second
    > SATA drive onto which I'd install XP x32.
    >
    > Now I'm new to this dual boot, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd
    > need to do. Could I unplug the current drive, plug in the new one, set up XP
    > x32, copy some files from the x64 disk (forget which ones) and edit the
    > boot.ini, then plug in the origional disk as the master having the x32 as the
    > secondary?
    > Appreciate any help!

    No need to jump thru all those hoops. Simply install your second drive,
    boot from the xp (32bit) cd and install it on the new drive. After
    install you can can easily change the boot order or copy files from one
    drive to the other.
    I do it all the time.
    Frank
    Frank, Sep 26, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybGg=?=

    andy Guest

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:32:06 -0700, "Karlh"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Got a new PC with XP x64 installed, and I'm having a few perpheral issues so
    >I'm thinking of going down the dual boot route.
    >Currently I have one SATA 300gb with the XP x64 and want to get a second
    >SATA drive onto which I'd install XP x32.
    >
    >Now I'm new to this dual boot, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd
    >need to do. Could I unplug the current drive, plug in the new one, set up XP
    >x32, copy some files from the x64 disk (forget which ones) and edit the
    >boot.ini, then plug in the origional disk as the master having the x32 as the
    >secondary?

    If you do it as you describe above, there is no need to copy files.
    Once you reconnect the XP64 as the first drive, it already has the
    appropriate ntldr and ntdetect.com files.The only thing you have to do
    is add an entry in C:\boot.ini for the XP32 installation on the second
    disk. You can do this by either running bootcfg /rebuild via the
    recovery console, or copying the entry from the XP32 boot.ini
    (E:\boot.ini if D: is the optical drive), changing rdisk(0) to
    rdisk(1).

    andy, Sep 26, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybGg=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since you already have the 64-bit versions on your drive, you should be fine
    if after you have installed x32 on the new drive (only one connected), make
    sure your BIOS is set up to boot from the x64 system after you reconnect it
    , then change the boot.ini to include the x32 system. You can do this in
    System Properties or with the Recovery Console. If you want to boot from
    the x32 system, you will need to copy the 64-bit version of ntldr and
    ntdetect.com onto the x32 drive.

    John Barnes, Sep 26, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S2FybGg=?=

    wes40oz Guest

    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services crashes about every 2 sec

    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services crashes about every 2 seconds I
    actually had to turn off the error reporting since I was getting so many,
    does anyone else have this problem?

    also, I get the machine check corrected error and check event logs about
    every 5 mins...

    I have the OEM version of win xp 64

    any help on this would be great!!!

    --