    are listed as disk 2 and 3 but they have ! on the icon and status is
    listed as "foreign". any ideas?

    , Nov 23, 2005

  2. Kim Stahnke Guest

    Were your Sata drives set up as Raid?

    Kim Stahnke, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Ah. The clue is "foreign" -- you have them configured as RAID at some point,
    either at the OS level, or at the hardware level. If it's at the hardware
    level, you should be able to load the XP drivers for your RAID and then the
    drives will be seen. If it's at the OS level, XP Home doesn't support
    striping -- you'll need at least XP Pro for that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Guest

    no the drives are not currently raid. I will check that some option is
    not set to see them as raid however. I haven't changed anything in the
    bios, so where are there options for xp to see them as one or the
    other? Somthing I missed during install?

    , Nov 23, 2005
  5. Kim Stahnke Guest

    To get back to your original problem, maybe you should install the original
    x64 to get yout data back. Try to install it the same way you did the first
    time.
    If you had not installed another os on the drive you might have saved your
    x64 system with some (i cannot remember the manufacturer but there are some
    that can do this) 3rd party sw that can take you back to an earlier restore
    point before the fatal update.

    Kim Stahnke, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Guest

    i reinstalled x64 but now after I choose to boot the x64 OS from the
    selection screen, it just restarts. I can't start x64 in safe mode
    either, it also just restarts. Format??? Start over???? Will if I
    have to, but would like to exhaust all other possibilities. However,
    during the install it asked for a file from the mobo disk, and when I
    choose browse, the "missing" drives were listed, and all data seemed
    intact.

    , Nov 23, 2005
  7. Guest

    also, is it possible to rollback drivers in x64, from xp home?

    , Nov 23, 2005
  8. I think I would start over.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 23, 2005
  9. What is your plan for doing that?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Guest

    the reason for diong that is so i don't lose all my data......... The
    computer ran fine fro several months and I have reason to believe that
    it could have been the nvidia firmware that screwed up in the first
    place. If I can rollback that update it would rule that out as a
    possibility. I updated three things at once stupidly and not sure
    where the problem lies, and which triggered the f-up.

    , Nov 24, 2005
  11. John Barnes Guest

    There is an option on the extended startup screen (F8) to not automatically
    restart and you should be able to get the crash codes you need to try to
    solve it. You say you reinstalled x64. Did you install it over the first
    install, do a repair install or what procedure did you do. Is the data you
    are trying to recover on the same partition?

    John Barnes, Nov 24, 2005
  12. Guest

    I have two seperate issues. First the x64 os issure, which I did a
    repair install btw, and still does not work. I have been really busy
    and just threw xp home on a seperate hd as a temporary solution till I
    get more time to fix it. The second issue is that xp home does not see
    the two SATA II drives. no raid. I did read recently that there may
    be an issue with xp home and SATA II drives, anyone else read anything
    about that?

    , Nov 24, 2005
  13. Mercury Guest

    Yes. "Last Known Good" - press F8 at the very start of Windows load to go to
    the F8 menu.

    Sounds to me like the drive was confirgured as RAID, but not used as RAID -
    did you install drivers using F6 originally? Have you upgraded the BIOS or
    had a fiddle in their and perhaps turned off the RAID...

    You can check the stop code causing the reboots by choosing an option in the
    F8 menu - something like 'disable auto restart on failure'. If you do this,
    let us know the stop code and the other data on the same line.

    Backups! Write your music and data files to DVD!

    Mercury, Nov 24, 2005
  14. Mercury Guest

    Swap out the nvidia card for a PCI graphics card as a test... this ill
    remove the firmware issue as a factor...

    Mercury, Nov 24, 2005
  15. Guest

    This is the error message I get when trying to start x64

    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xfffffadfc8c1d3c0 0xffffffffc0000034
    0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000000000)

    , Dec 1, 2005
  16. 0x7B is inaccessible boot device. You need to install F6 drivers for your
    boot hard drive. (Or, if you ARE installing them, and they are the wrong
    ones, you need to NOT install them. I've seen that, too.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 2, 2005
  17. Guest

    thank you for input but, the boot drive is an IDE drive. the SATA II
    drives I dissconnected to eliminate them as a variable. This may be
    dumb but do IDE drives ever need drivers?

    , Dec 2, 2005
  18. No.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 3, 2005
  19. yes, if the controller is a RAID controller. Which a lot of mobos have these
    days.

    0x7b is inaccessible boot device. If you can load the system in text mode,
    but then it blue screens at GUI, there's a problem with Plug and Play.

    See my blogs on F6, please. Specifically:

    For details on the different modes for storage driver load during setup, and
    why you care:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/07/25/59560.aspx

    For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/11/52162.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64