    (and i can't convert it to Dynamic either), does anybody familiar with this
    motherboard know how to dual boot with 2 Sata drives not running raid? Any
    help would be appreciated.

    David McColgan, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Hi David, First boot up under XP Pro 32bit version with both your hard drives
    installed, then go to "Disk Management" inside of Computer Management. You
    should see both your drives in the list as Disk 0 and Disk 1. Ensure that
    both drives were setup as "Basic" Partitions and NOT Dynamic. You may find
    that one or both of your hard drives are Partitioned and formatted as
    Dynamic. You can "Right Click" on the Disk 0 and Disk 1 and it will tell you
    haw the disk was prepared and its current configuration(Either Basic or
    Dynamic). Unfortunately, your disks have to be Basic Partitions before
    Installation. After installation, they can be changed to Dynamic. I own 2 -
    P5WD2 Premiums, 1 - P5GDC-V Deluxe, and 2 - P4C800E Deluxes. All are
    Multi-Boot configurations. All the P5's run x64, XP Pro x86, and 2 have Net
    Server2003(x64) installed as well. With no problems whatsoever EXCEPT for
    lack of drivers from Microsoft for their own hardware such as mice.

    Happy New Year and good luck.
    --
    Stephen Garlick

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=, Jan 1, 2006

  3. thanks for replying, i'll see if i can do it, i might have to do a reinstall
    of XP though.
    "Stephen Garlick" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    David McColgan, Jan 1, 2006
  4. No you shouldn't have to reinstall XP Pro, IF your C: (System and Boot) drive
    was setup during install, it should be "Basic", if it is not, you should
    still be able to Convert it to Basic by using Disk Management and right
    clicking on DIsk 0 and Select "Convert to Basic". Once you do that, Delete
    any partition on your second drive(200G), and repartition it using a "Basic"
    partition. Now when you reboot, both of the installed drives will be Primary
    Partitions and NOT Dynamic and I guarantee you a good clean install on your
    second OS to the Second drive. :eek:)
    --
    Stephen Garlick

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=, Jan 1, 2006
  5. thanks i'm glad it doesn't require a reinstall, i didn't have both drives
    installed when i installed XP Pro SP2 i hope that doesn't change the
    situation?
    "Stephen Garlick" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    David McColgan, Jan 1, 2006
  6. No just make sure that both the drives under XP Pro are "Basic" disks. If
    either one is not simply right click on Disk 0 or Disk 1 and Select "Convert
    to Basic".

    The second drive may have to be initialized. Just make sure that you do not
    select Dynamic during this initialization.

    Once the drive is initialized, you should see both drives in Disk Management.

    Partition your second drive as "Basic" and format it.

    You're done and ready for reboot and installation for your second OS to your
    second drive.
    --
    Stephen Garlick

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=, Jan 1, 2006
  7. don't have the option to convert to basic, both drives do show up in disk
    management, should i just reinstall XP Pro? now it say they are Simple and
    Dynamic, is this a problem?

    "Stephen Garlick" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    David McColgan, Jan 1, 2006
  8. Yes that is your problem. I won't go into great detail here but again the
    drives Must be "Basic". If you cannot "Corvert to Basic" in Disk Management
    because it is grayed out, then you will have to re-install. And you will have
    to reinstall from CD.

    When you boot up from CD in XP Pro SP2(32bit), make sure that you DO press
    the space key to boot from CD, Make sure you delete ALL partitons on all
    drives, then reinstall to the C: drive with XP Pro. Allow setup to Partition
    and Format the drive. DO NOT do an upgrade.

    This should (By default) cause setup to 1) Partition the drive as Primary
    and Basic, and 2) Format it NTFS.

    When Brand New drives OR drives that have had the MBR erased, will show up
    in Disk Management as having to be initialized. During that process, IF
    Dynamic is selected, those drives are unable to be corverted to a Basic disk.
    And unfortunately, in order to make them Basic, requires deleting the
    partiton.

    Another option is for you to just DELETE the existing Partition on your
    second drive and then repartition it as a "Basic" disk. This will delete the
    Dynamic Volume on your second drive but not the first.

    You may want to try this first before reinstalling XP.

    --
    Stephen Garlick

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=, Jan 1, 2006
  9. ok, thanks.
    "Stephen Garlick" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    David McColgan, Jan 2, 2006